Farenheit 9/11 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Farenheit 9/11

Moderator: Football Moderators

Farenheit 9/11

Postby CC » Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:52 pm

I saw this yesterday and was amazed at how much Bush-bashing there was on it. I thought it was a pretty good movie, even though Moore only presents one side of each arguement and manipulates a lot of the facts he has on his documentaries. What did you think of it? (if you saw it)
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby VHawk15 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:00 pm

I'm planning on seeing it this week, and am excited about it. I thoroughly enjoyed Bowling for Columbine.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Canacuna » Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:38 pm

I'm planning on seeing it too (this week, assuming Spider-Man 2 is sold out) - with recomendations from Martin Sheen, Leo, and Esther - who could resist?

The only problem I have with Moore's work is pretty much what CC said; he only presents a one-sided truth. With enough footage, you could make a nice little movie completely slamming anyone.

The best thing about Farenheit 9/11 is that it's making people talk about something important. Rather than talk of things that don't matter - television, celebrities, ect. - people are talking about our government.

Anyway, I really like Moore's "semi-documentaries". Roger & Me was awesome, methinks. Also, Bowling For Columbine is only $8.00 this week at Circuit City. I picked up my copy. :-D
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby CC » Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:43 pm

If I lived in America, was old enough to vote, and had the inclination that movie would have definetly killed any chance Bush had in my mind. I wonder how much Kerry contributed to the making of this movie?
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Carolina Culpepper » Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:34 pm

Canacuna wrote:I'm planning on seeing it too (this week, assuming Spider-Man 2 is sold out) - with recomendations from Martin Sheen, Leo, and Esther - who could resist?

The only problem I have with Moore's work is pretty much what CC said; he only presents a one-sided truth. With enough footage, you could make a nice little movie completely slamming anyone.

The best thing about Farenheit 9/11 is that it's making people talk about something important. Rather than talk of things that don't matter - television, celebrities, ect. - people are talking about our government.

Anyway, I really like Moore's "semi-documentaries". Roger & Me was awesome, methinks. Also, Bowling For Columbine is only $8.00 this week at Circuit City. I picked up my copy. :-D

The problem with Moore's projects is that they are not just "one-sided truths", they are one sided opinions parading and presented as truth. Very little proveable, established truths or facts are presented. Therefore I would say that to even call them "SEMI-documentaries" is being very generous. A more accurate description would be PROPAGANDA, and I don't use that term to inflame or stir things up. In the proper meaning and definition of the term and usage that is what it is. We are in America, and he certainly has the freedom to put out his stuff, but I sure wish words like truth and documentary wouldn't be attached to his work. Its opinion and point of view.
Carolina Culpepper
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Canacuna » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:15 pm

Carolina Culpepper wrote:The problem with Moore's projects is that they are not just "one-sided truths", they are one sided opinions parading and presented as truth. Very little proveable, established truths or facts are presented. Therefore I would say that to even call them "SEMI-documentaries" is being very generous. A more accurate description would be PROPAGANDA, and I don't use that term to inflame or stir things up. In the proper meaning and definition of the term and usage that is what it is. We are in America, and he certainly has the freedom to put out his stuff, but I sure wish words like truth and documentary wouldn't be attached to his work. Its opinion and point of view.

Yeah, I was having problems coming up with titles that were more fitting and didn't really want to get into the debate of, "what is a documentary?" and all that.
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:43 pm

Ive already stated my opinions on him:

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... ight=moore
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Bennett4prez » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:03 pm

This movie is a mockery. The penny-pushing Moore astounds me with his manipulative idiocy. He presents one side of the most exetreme facts as distorts them to sound even more severe. This is not a movie. This is a Kerry support group. I was actually so disgusted in it that it ruined any chance of me voting for Kerry.
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Canacuna » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:20 pm

Bennett4Prez wrote:This is a Kerry support group. I was actually so disgusted in it that it ruined any chance of me voting for Kerry.

Were you actually going to vote for Kerry before you even knew about this movie though? I can see being disgusted with Michael Moore for his movies based on his opinions (especially if you have opposing views), but would you really vote for George Bush or Ralph Nader (or whoever) just to spite him?
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby CKY_ROX » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:34 pm

i dont think that this movie really swayed people who had opinions before entering the move. i for one was not a fan of bush before, and am not a fan now. i agree that it only presents one side of the facts, but there are a lot of facts against him.

i enjoyed it and as still strongly opposed to the war and therefor am opposed to bush

I DO NOT LOVE TOM!!!!!
CKY_ROX
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 5)

Next

Return to General Talk