Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:59 pm

Spider Man does look like a damn good flick. ;-D
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby VHawk15 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:03 pm

Nfl Fan wrote:Glad to see there are some level heads out there!!
ie. Cornbread, C Culpepper, etc.

Do you consider Rush Limbaugh level-headed?

Nfl Fan wrote:Michael Moore is a propaganda machine who intentionally distorts facts and floats lies and misconceptions as truth. In short, he is a liar. I truly believe that it is accepted on the left to lie about issues and opponants if it furthers your agenda. Acceptable strategy, if you will.

Have you even seen the movie?

Nfl Fan wrote:So if you know that much of F-9/11 is distorted, and much is a lie..

Hmm, reminds me of the current administration, eh?

Nfl Fan wrote:then why bother giving credibility to any of the crap he espouses. And why pay $7 to go see a two hour advertisement for the campaign to defeat Bush in 2004?

Apparently lots of people want to pay the $7, because the film is now the #1 documentary of all time.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Carolina Culpepper » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:18 pm

VHawk15 wrote:
Nfl Fan wrote:Glad to see there are some level heads out there!!
ie. Cornbread, C Culpepper, etc.

Do you consider Rush Limbaugh level-headed?

Nfl Fan wrote:Michael Moore is a propaganda machine who intentionally distorts facts and floats lies and misconceptions as truth. In short, he is a liar. I truly believe that it is accepted on the left to lie about issues and opponants if it furthers your agenda. Acceptable strategy, if you will.

Have you even seen the movie?

Nfl Fan wrote:So if you know that much of F-9/11 is distorted, and much is a lie..

Hmm, reminds me of the current administration, eh?

Nfl Fan wrote:then why bother giving credibility to any of the crap he espouses. And why pay $7 to go see a two hour advertisement for the campaign to defeat Bush in 2004?

Apparently lots of people want to pay the $7, because the film is now the #1 documentary of all time.

I just knew Rush Limbaugh would be brought into this!!! To answer your question I would say yes I do believe he is level headed. But before you blow a gasket let me say that I also think there are some level headed liberal commentators also. Alan Colmes (sp?) of Hannity and Colmes fame comes to mind. I don't agree with Colmes 99% of the time but I think he at least TRIES to deal with facts. To compare Michael Moore to Limbaugh is simply not a fair comparison. Moore is completely over the top, and really makes no attempt at honesty or facts (see Cornbreads references listed earlier). This is a classic over-reach. Comparing an extreme, borderline nut, to a mainstream, most listened to conservative talk show host, and somehow say they are equal. To be honest, if I was a liberal I would completely distance myself from Michael Moore as far as possible so as to maintain some credibility. There are plenty of good, respectable liberal commentators out there to defend.
Carolina Culpepper
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby cooleyhigh » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:29 pm

Apparently lots of people want to pay the $7, because the film is now the #1 documentary of all time.[/quote]

I guess Bush is that unpopular. What are some of the lies from his work? He follows a simple plan learned in ENG 101. State your opinion, defend it with facts and evidence, done. If you do not agree with his argument fine...but do not call the man a liar. Go ahead and bash CNN for the "crap they espouse" on prisoner abuse, Moore knew about that and had footage long before we saw it on TV and he choose not to include it in his film. Oh wait, that is probably a lie too.

He is not afraid to bash the democrats on their foreign policy either, see Bowling for Columbine (Serbia campaign).
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby VHawk15 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:43 pm

Carolina Culpepper wrote:But before you blow a gasket let me say that I also think there are some level headed liberal commentators also. Alan Colmes (sp?) of Hannity and Colmes fame comes to mind. I don't agree with Colmes 99% of the time but I think he at least TRIES to deal with facts.

Naturally, the conservative poster likes the wimpy "liberal" guy on Fox News. Colmes isn't a real liberal at all, Fox just stuck him on that show so that Hannity could dominate him. In fact, in Al Franken's best-selling book "Lies and the lying liars who tell them", he refers to the show as Hannity and Colmes. Here's a quote from the book about show:

Al Franken wrote:To give you some idea of the show's fair balance, I picked a representative episode: the broadcast immediately following President Bush's 2003 State of the Union address. The point-counterpoint broke down like this:

"This is a big vision. This is a bold agenda!"
vs.
"President Bush did a magnificent job!"

Quick. Which one of the critical sentiments was expressed by the liberal? If you guessed "magnificent job", you're a winner. And you know what's also a winner? Fair and balanced news coverage.

Franken goes on to talk about in that episode, Hannity said 2,086 words while Colmes said only 1,261.

Carolina Culpepper wrote:To compare Michael Moore to Limbaugh is simply not a fair comparison.

I agree, Michael Moore isn't a druggie.

Carolina Culpepper wrote:Moore is completely over the top, and really makes no attempt at honesty or facts

My mistake, I must have forgotten about Rush's supreme honesty and integrity.

Carolina Culpepper wrote:Comparing an extreme, borderline nut, to a mainstream, most listened to conservative talk show host, and somehow say they are equal.

Are you kidding me? If Michael Moore is a "borderline nut", then Limbaugh needs to taken to rehab immediately. Oh wait, he's already there. ;-)

And you must've been taking some of Limbaugh's pills when you referred to him as "mainstream." That would be the opposite of what Rush is.

Carolina Culpepper wrote:To be honest, if I was a liberal I would completely distance myself from Michael Moore as far as possible so as to maintain some credibility.

To be honest, if I was a conservative I would throw Rush Limbaugh on a deserted island so he can't embarass the Republican party any more than he already has.

Carolina Culpepper wrote:There are plenty of good, respectable liberal commentators out there to defend.

Oh c'mon, you are more liberal than Alan Colmes.

Anyway, to get back on topic, I'm seeing the movie on Thursday.
Last edited by VHawk15 on Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Carolina Culpepper » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:50 pm

cooleyhigh wrote:

I guess Bush is that unpopular. What are some of the lies from his

Just finished listening to CBS radio news. The latest poll shows 43% in favor of Bush, 43% in favor of Kerry, and 3% for Nader. 11% undecided or don't care! Guess Bush is no less popular than Kerry or anyone else. Listen, I totally disliked Clinton when he was President and I remember seeing books and hearing things that called him a spy for communist China, accused him of selling military secrets to foreign nations, implicated him in numerous murders, etc, etc. Each of those accusations were "supposedly" supported by facts. I remember when I saw those I just laughed. There is a lunatic fringe out there on the right also. I didn't and don't need or want to defend or agree with them. I didn't like Clinton for some very basic policy purposes, not some secret agenda, or character assasination of him. If you don't agree with the war in Iraq, or other policy issues of Bush, that is fine, don't vote for him. But I would encourage you not to base it on the rantings of Michael Moore, which are not based in reality. Can't you admit that he is on the lunatic fringe of the left??
Carolina Culpepper
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Carolina Culpepper » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:09 pm

Vhawk, since you didn't like the Holmes comparison, let me give you another one. I lived most of my life in Minnesota. I was there when the late senator Paul Wellstone was elected. Paul Wellstone was regarded as the most liberal person in the senate, definately not a shrinking violet that you make Colmes out to be. Again, I disagreed with him on almost every issue, yet I can say that I respected him as a man whose convictions were based on attempts to be fair and honest. I did not doubt his motives or his character. Can you really say the same for Moore? Is there really any attempt to find the truth or be honest. I guess Alan Colmes is dismissed by Franken because every once in awhile he will acknowledge Republicans are human beings and can be right. Sorry you and Franken can't do the same. l listen to Limbaugh often, I've heard him on many occasions comment favorably on certain Democrats (Joe Leiberman most recently). Michael Moore is incapable of looking at anything Bush does without seeing conspiracy. It's not just that he disagrees with Bush's policy, it is that he always sees some deep dark conspiracy, character assasination basically. Again this is where the comparison with Limbaugh breaks down. I have repeatedly heard Rush disagree with callers to his show that try to lead him down the dark alley of "conspiracy theories", especially when Clinton was President. Oh, he disagreed mightily with his policies, and voiced his reasons, but it was a totally different level than the altered reality that Michael Moore deals in. To me my dislike of Michael Moore isn't just a liberal vs. conservative thing.
Carolina Culpepper
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby cooleyhigh » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:10 pm

Carolina Culpepper wrote:Just finished listening to CBS radio news. The latest poll shows 43% in favor of Bush, 43% in favor of Kerry, and 3% for Nader. 11% undecided or don't care!

Polls are based on half-truths, taken out of context, misleading and obviously the rantings of lunatics.

What specific points do you feel make Moore a liar and lunatic?
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Carolina Culpepper » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:20 pm

cooleyhigh wrote:
Carolina Culpepper wrote:Just finished listening to CBS radio news. The latest poll shows 43% in favor of Bush, 43% in favor of Kerry, and 3% for Nader. 11% undecided or don't care!

Polls are based on half-truths, taken out of context, misleading and obviously the rantings of lunatics.

What specific points do you feel make Moore a liar and lunatic?

I agree that Polls can be misleading, etc., etc., but these results are showing up on almost every poll lately, whether it be CBS, Gallup, Harris, etc. It is clearly going to be another very close election. As to the second question I would refer you to the links Cornbread supplied earlier on this thread, those describe in detail the distorted way Moore puts together his "facts" better than I can.
Carolina Culpepper
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:25 pm

cooley - please check out the link I provided. Towards the end I linked a number of websites dedicated to dispelling the lies told by Moore. If you are truly interested in finding out the truth regarding Moore and his mockumentaries, those websites are where I would start. If you dont want to look at them, I understand that too - its easier to believe something when you dont consider facts that prove otherwise.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk