Where did all the smart people go? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Where did all the smart people go?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Tiki » Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:03 pm

Why would you post this Bennett? Because it really is a stupid post....
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CC » Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:31 pm

A valid point Tiki. :-o
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:31 pm

Tiki wrote:Why would you post this Bennett? Because it really is a stupid post....

I really smell a lockdown coming on. That and someone will accuse me of becoming like Dazed. :-)

OK, this bothers me...and it never used to until just recently. My "everything is cool" attitude has been replaced by "who's the next poster that is annoying me."

This is not a stupid post. I understand some people want a lot of yeas and nays on things...but if the answer is obvious after a few posts, there is no need to reply. All this accomplishes is to move a thread up to the top of the forum that I don't want to re-read.

I'm going to come out and say right now (if you didn't know already) that there are a lot of new posters (and I'm sure most are under the age of 18) that are really cheesing me off. They're asking for sigs, starting pointless threads that will never end, making useless posts, etc. I want new members as much as anyone, but if you aren't willing to make a valid point in a post or a post that has real merit, don't say anything! Just read the info, digest it, and move on. Also, don't start humongous looping posts that won't be finished for a month. It would also be nice to see some decent grammar and spelling used as well.

I'm going through the same headache on deft's new board. As a moderator there, I'm looking at so much chaff and horrible grammatical ability that I just want to pull out my hair. I can't edit everything, and I won't. So, we had to put up an announcement to inform people to be more mature in posting. I don't think we need that here, but some of the threads I see in FF Talk are getting close.

I venture to say that I would browse the forums for at least 4 hours every day a few months ago. That time frame has seriously declined in the past few weeks due to annoying posts. I only read topics that interest me, and if I have something to add, I do it. Otherwise, it's "mark all forums read."

Something that makes me come back here are new guys like Bennett who want to post responsibly. He realizes every topic does not need to be addressed unless you have a new angle or opinion on the subject.

Final point to the rant - This is only the offseason. I cringe to think about what will happen during the season with even more people finding this site (which once again is a good thing). Good luck to the moderators!
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:33 pm

Flockers wrote:
Carolina Culpepper wrote:Note to CKY_ROX: Please either slow down your typing or use spell check. I know my spelling isn't always perfect but your posts are getting nearly impossible to read. If this post is an example of trying "to put more time into the posts..." you are in trouble!

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe
I've heard this too, and I actually had no problem reading that whole paragraph..

I've also heard that you can read anything if you leave vowels out, but I don't think this one is quite as true. It would be incefedibly hard to decipher a sentence with no vowels, especially if you have a lot of two letter words.

I agree that it's nice to know the majority but if you agree, you could at least say why, or add something. There's not a ton of times that I see a thread where somebody lists every point and I agree with every one. There's gotta be something you can interject, or try to make the point vs somebody else's post or view.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby CC » Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:41 pm

In reply to Mercer's post, what you are saying is true, and I want new posters as well. I don't think that this is a major problem yet, but it could get to be during the season. This post wasn't really necessary as most of the newbs spend all of their time here in the Trade, Keeper... - Fantasy Football Talk - Classifieds - and Roster Ratings forums, posting that this irritates you here is not going to make a difference.

Oh and don't knock on the kids Mercer you gotta have love for some of us young'ns. :-b
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby VHawk15 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:50 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:I'm going through the same headache on deft's new board. As a moderator there, I'm looking at so much chaff and horrible grammatical ability that I just want to pull out my hair. I can't edit everything, and I won't. So, we had to put up an announcement to inform people to be more mature in posting.

Made by me, I might add. :-b

But seriously, Mercer has a very good point. But while they may be the biggest culprits, I wouldn't limit it to only teenagers. There are some adults here that are just as bad about unintelligent posts.

There's really no way to stop it, except to encourage good posting. ;-)

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby TTTBone » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:08 pm

VHawk15 wrote:
There are some adults here that are just as bad about unintelligent posts.

There's really no way to stop it, except to encourage good posting. ;-)

Whaddya mean by that?
Screw you, I know my sh*t, and you're an idiot.

j/k Love Me...? j/k :-b

Seriously though, points well taken, Mercer and Hawk.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby goleafsgo96 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:51 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:I'm going to come out and say right now (if you didn't know already) that there are a lot of new posters (and I'm sure most are under the age of 18) that are really cheesing me off. They're asking for sigs, starting pointless threads that will never end, making useless posts, etc. I want new members as much as anyone, but if you aren't willing to make a valid point in a post or a post that has real merit, don't say anything! Just read the info, digest it, and move on. Also, don't start humongous looping posts that won't be finished for a month. It would also be nice to see some decent grammar and spelling used as well.

I agree. Unfortunately, i am under 18, but i agree. As far as i kno you are not talking bout me, because my posts are normally valid and i dont start pointless threads. Thats what i wanna talk about, stupid threads. when i go to the fantasy football talk, i fo there to learn new things such as starting job updates, injuries, and coach comments. These things are dug up by dertain members. Now, everytime i go there and look at the most recent posts, its always in the same 2 threads. "Cafe rankings by the members" and "Who would you take"<-- or something like that. (The one where one guy names 2 players than the next guy picks between them) anyways, i dunno who started them, i hope its not a cafe vet :-o , but these things are just running up post counts. We already have a cafe cheat sheet, and that should cover ALL the info that BOTH these threads may give out.
The Whole "stupid post" thing, i dont have a problem with the short answered posts, Its the threads that are always there, right on top of the recent threads, the ones that i find useless, that make me mad. But thats just my opinion, i am fairly new here, maybe its always been this way.

Edit: I realize this post ay sound like i have a problem, i can look past this all and i think the cafe is an awesome place, it is my home page ;-D thtas just the one thing i could do without...those threads.
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Flockers » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:59 pm

Zimm, you're 13, why are you using words like incefedibly and decipher?
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby Flockers » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:00 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:They're asking for sigs, starting pointless threads that will never end, making useless posts, etc.

I thought I had the position filled... :-?
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk