Branch or Givens - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Branch or Givens

Moderator: Football Moderators

Branch or Givens

Postby dabearzfan » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:40 pm

With all the "sleeper" labels flying around these days, 1 of these 2 WRs might perfrom as a solid #2. Which one would you prefer??
Predections for stats??

My predictions:
Branch 900 4 Tds
Givens 800 7 Tds
dabearzfan
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:49 pm

I would take Branch just because of his speed but there is not a lot of difference between Branch, Givens, Brown and Patten when healthy. Don't forget about Bethel Johnson.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CC » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:54 pm

Yea, I like Branch I think he and Givens will be the top 2 WRs in NE this year though.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dub-Dub » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:24 pm

I think the depth of WR in NE, as well as the offensive system in place, will make any of the WR unreliable as a #2.

Just another case showing the differences between real world football and fantasy football. The Pats don't need a break out WR to win... and as long as they are winning, they won't care... at least not publicly.
Dub-Dub
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Flux » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:37 pm

-- Patriots WR Update --
Tue Jun 29, 2004

Michael Felger reports for the Sporting News that New England Patriots WR Deion Branch is the team's best wideout, consistently getting open on intermediate and deep routes. Branch's quickness in and out of his cuts allows him to separate from defenders. WR David Givens, who uses his strength to his advantage when positioning against defenders, is one of the team's most improved players. Branch and Givens are the likely starters with long-time starter WR Troy Brown moving to the No. 3 wide receiver spot. Brown has the best hands on the team, and he excels at finding openings in zone coverages over the middle. He's a prime target in clutch situations. WR Bethel Johnson is one of the fastest players in the league, but his route running and hands are raw.

I like Branch over Givens for this year. His speed and hands should make him Brady's go to guy
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Canacuna » Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:54 pm

I like David Givens between the two - but definitely wouldn't want either as my #2. Maybe as a #3 - preferably a bye week filler.

Givens looked very impressive towards the end of last season - all the way through the Super Bowl. I'm looking for him to keep up that pace.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby bolkonsky_ffc » Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:21 pm

I think Branch is a good football player, but the Pats are team first and that hurts fantasy geeks like us.
"I'll moider da bum."
- Heavyweight boxer Tony Galento, when asked what he thought of William Shakespeare
bolkonsky_ffc
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby irishdude103 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:43 pm

i would pick Branch over Givens
irishdude103
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NittanyLions » Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:46 pm

I think Branch has more pure talent as a WR and Id rather have him, but as far as TDs go, I like Givens
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:21 pm

If any one of the NE WRs can step up and become "the guy", I would put my money on David Givens. This guy looked very impressive in the latter part of last season and showed that he is a redzone threat. If this guy is placed in 1 on 1 coverage in the endzone lookout because he will overpower the corner defending him.

That said, I don't think it's possible for NE to have a goto guy because they are so deep at WR and Brady has so many different targets to hit. If you're going to draft any NE WR, get the guy you think will see the endzone the most. Givens is that guy for me.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Next

Return to Football Talk