HDTV in time for season - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

HDTV in time for season

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby NittanyLions » Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:06 am

Well the DLP came cheaper and overall it is not too much behind the plasma. One thing I noticed about the DLP is the color, the saturation in the plasma seems to be slightly better and richer. The plasma also seems to do a better job for video playback of any sort. The DLP technology is more affordable, but IMO its setback from the plasmas is the fact its still a projection. Another off hand thing I noticed is when you go into the menu to do something the plasmas are more user-friendly, foor now. One thing that DLPs couldnt escape from is the viewing angle. I would estimate the vertical angle for it to be around 45 and side-to-side to be around 100. On the other hand, plasmas are nearly 180 both ways. Heres why the DLP was bought, we were researching their lifespans. Now I know you probably know plasmas fade, heres some numbers. DLP uses a bulb and it should last 80,000 hours and then can be replaced for a couple hundred and the TV will work like its new. The plasma has gases that start to fade out after about 30,000 hours and completely go about 60,000 hours and cant be replaced. Of course this is a lot of watching TV but if you watch movies and a good amount of TV Id go with DLP. If you watch more movies and just watch a few sporting events plasmas are the way to go. I personally use the DLP for TV and the plasma for movies.
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby sabaoth1 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:13 am

This link for HDTV Bootcamp might be helpful/
http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5102926-1.html
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
sabaoth1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Carolina Culpepper » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:32 am

NittanyLions wrote:Well the DLP came cheaper and overall it is not too much behind the plasma. One thing I noticed about the DLP is the color, the saturation in the plasma seems to be slightly better and richer. The plasma also seems to do a better job for video playback of any sort. The DLP technology is more affordable, but IMO its setback from the plasmas is the fact its still a projection. Another off hand thing I noticed is when you go into the menu to do something the plasmas are more user-friendly, foor now. One thing that DLPs couldnt escape from is the viewing angle. I would estimate the vertical angle for it to be around 45 and side-to-side to be around 100. On the other hand, plasmas are nearly 180 both ways. Heres why the DLP was bought, we were researching their lifespans. Now I know you probably know plasmas fade, heres some numbers. DLP uses a bulb and it should last 80,000 hours and then can be replaced for a couple hundred and the TV will work like its new. The plasma has gases that start to fade out after about 30,000 hours and completely go about 60,000 hours and cant be replaced. Of course this is a lot of watching TV but if you watch movies and a good amount of TV Id go with DLP. If you watch more movies and just watch a few sporting events plasmas are the way to go. I personally use the DLP for TV and the plasma for movies.

Excellent analysis, thank you very much! When you're considering a purchase in the $2500 to $3000 range there is no such thing as too much information. The good news from my past research is that the latest DLP TV's have a newer "light chip" from Texas Instruments that closes the color gap with plasma. The viewing angle thing does concern me however. I guess I will have to spend some time at Best Buy comparing. (I can picture my wife rolling her eyes already!!)!!
Carolina Culpepper
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Carolina Culpepper » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:33 am

sabaoth1 wrote:This link for HDTV Bootcamp might be helpful/
http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5102926-1.html

Great Link, thanks. When I make my purchase you can come on over to SC and watch the Vikings with me!!!! I think they play the Eagles on a Monday Night, which means it will be in HD!! LOL
Carolina Culpepper
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Flockers » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:52 pm

I have a Samsung 61" Widescreen HD-Ready DLP-Projection TV with DVI Input/2-Tuner PIP in my house. It's pretty gnarly. I don't have a satellite, but I do have digital cable with HD channels and it is sweet. I watched the T-Wolves playoff run on it and it felt like I was in the Target Center.
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby Carolina Culpepper » Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:52 pm

Flockers wrote:I have a Samsung 61" Widescreen HD-Ready DLP-Projection TV with DVI Input/2-Tuner PIP in my house. It's pretty gnarly. I don't have a satellite, but I do have digital cable with HD channels and it is sweet. I watched the T-Wolves playoff run on it and it felt like I was in the Target Center.

You guys are killing me!!! My goal is to hold out until early September for this purchase because prices are coming down weekly on all forms of HD TV's but especially DLP's because both Toshiba and I think Mitsbushi are jumping on the DLP bandwagon, but with all of you talking about how great it is it is getting harder and harder to wait.
Carolina Culpepper
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Previous

Return to General Talk