Analysis of the consensus top 6 RBs - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Analysis of the consensus top 6 RBs

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby CC » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:03 pm

Free Bagel wrote:Kurt Warner was a cornerback?

:p

Would that be something to see or what?
Kurt Warner has lined up opposite Randy Moss, Moss blows by Kurt catches the ball, at the 25, the 20, the 15, oh Moss gets laid out by Brenda Warner.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby KingGhidra » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:24 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:He was a corner before he played running back, if DD goes down (and I'm sure he will), Hollings could pull a Kurt Warner and take his job.

How are you sure he will?
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby CC » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:26 pm

He's a small back, and hasn't shown that he is durable. I suppose I should rephrase that, I greatly expect Dom Davis will at least miss a few games. Better?
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:31 pm

Well - I wish I could be as confident as you guys are. Im sure if I had brought up a 4th rd RB Houston grabbed last yr around this time after they Signed Stacey Mack I might have gotten a similar reception.
Now that Ive been assured by KG, FB, and CC that I should ignore the initial reason they signed Hollings - to be the main RB of the future - I feel much better. He probably was pretty awful leading the nation in rushing anyways, and that strong combine appearance probably was a fluke too. Nope - DDavis isnt a fluke at all. In fact - this report from last yr was probably just messin around trying to fool people:

HoustonProFootballdotcom wrote:Areas of Concern: Davis is not much of a runner between the tackles. He was never the workhorse back at LSU, splitting time with LaBrandon Toefield and only really carrying the full load when Toefield was injured. At 5'9", Davis does not provide much help as a blocker. He also lacks great breakaway speed.

2003 Expectations: Davis should contribute as a third-down and change-of-pace back. He is not the franchise back for which Texan fans have been thirsting, but he does bring a different skill set to the offense than any of the other backs on the roster.

Im not saying DDavis is entirely overrated, but it wouldnt suprise me if he lost more carries to Hollings this yr.
Last edited by Cornbread Maxwell on Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby CC » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:32 pm

Hey man, I'm supporting Hollings here.
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby KingGhidra » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:41 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:He's a small back, and hasn't shown that he is durable. I suppose I should rephrase that, I greatly expect Dom Davis will at least miss a few games. Better?

I expect half the RBs to miss at least a few games.

Apparently there is no correct size in the NFL to avoid injury.

If you are small, they will say you aren't durable and won't be able to withstand the pounding and are an injury risk.

If you are big, they will say you take too many big hits in a game and are an injury risk.

Dom Davis isn't small, he's short. 5-9 180 pounds would be small. He's 5-9, 213 pounds. He's very Marshall Faulk, Emmitt Smith and Barry Sanders in size. Every bit as strong as the other guys, but shiftier and more agile (hopefully).

If anyone lives in the Houston area and would like to send me game tape on DD, I'd love to get a better look at him.
:-b
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Postby PSU All Day » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:49 pm

Westbrook was the only true homerun threat for the Eagles last year especially late in the year. When he went down just before the playoffs it really hurt the Eagles offensively. I look for the Eagles to get him as many touches as they can this year.

I think Westbrook's TD's will remain where they were (or maybe a little bit down) as his touches go up. He won't keep the same ratio of TD's per touches.

I like Correll as well but the league told everyone how they valued him when he was left unprotected and could have been picked up for a fourth rounder (I think it was a fourth) as compensation.

That said, I wouldn't take Westbrook as a #2 unless I had two STUD Wr's (which I won't be doing) but if he is there in rd 4 as a 3rd back I will be VERY happy.
PSU All Day
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby maddog60 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:55 pm

KingGhidra wrote:Well DD is going higher, because he has more value and that makes sense. We got to see DD for twice as many carries and he appears to have a lock on the starting role. He might be the newest 330 carry, 50 catch guy which would make him a top RB prospect. Westbrook would have the same value built into his draft position if not for the very real threat of Correll Buckhalter.

You really think Buckhalter alone makes DD worth a pick more than a full round above Westbrook? You did see the semi-meaningless tender the Eagles put on Correll this year right? Buckhalter is a fine back, but he's got nothing on Westbrook. Barring injury, there's no way Buckhalter takes the majority of the carries. Tony Hollings isn't a huge threat, not like like MaGahee or Foster, but Buckhalter is nowhere near those two guys either.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby sleeper » Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:47 pm

Now that Buck is out of the picture, do you want to reignite this discussion?
sleeper
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby KingGhidra » Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:55 pm

sleeper wrote:Now that Buck is out of the picture, do you want to reignite this discussion?

Is it necessary? I still think his owners' expectations are too high because of all the TDs.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Football Talk