Better Shot? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Better Shot?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Better Shot?

Postby Franchise Fan » Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:47 pm

Who has a better shot at becoming a starter for their team and resulting in a sleeper fantasy back
Tatum Bell or Chris Brown?

I know how many say Bell immedietly, but take into consideration of who has more potential to be a sleeper if they were starter, in other words, who is a better fantasy player if they both get starting nods(eventually)?
Franchise Fan
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

CafeholicGraphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Str8 Pimpin-Vikings » Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:51 pm

I will have to say Chris Brown not a hige fan of bell he is over-rated by many ppl because he plays for the "broncos" but i dont think he will start.
Vikings ALL THE WAY!!!
Pepper..MoSs...Bennett

Str8 Pimpin-Vikings
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Ousmagic » Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:59 pm

i think tatum bell will be great if he ever got the starting nod in denver, but chris brown has a much better chance of starting this year since its just him and eddie george battling it out and bell has to battle like 4 other guys for the job
Ousmagic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby VHawk15 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:05 pm

Str8 Pimpin-Vikings wrote:I will have to say Chris Brown not a hige fan of bell he is over-rated by many ppl because he plays for the "broncos" but i dont think he will start.

First of all, Tatum Bell was rated by most to be the third best back before the NFL Draft even started. You talk as if Bell has no talent and as if being a RB in Denver means nothing. No one can argue that the Broncos have produced great runners in the past several years, and Bell looks to be the heir to the throne.

That said, I'm going to go with Chris Brown simply because Eddie George is getting old and Brown has less people to compete with than Bell does.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby IRON CHEF » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:58 pm

Tatum has a good amount of competition in Denver while Brown only has the aging George. Brown will more likely have a chance to start but if they both were starting I'd have to go with Bell as the better of the two.

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:17 pm

I think if "the aging George" comes back this season, he will get 300+ carries. Just like the 9 seasons before that. The only way Chris Brown gets significant time is if Eddie goes down. That's why I choose Bell.

Bell is in a little better boat to start this season than Brown. Quentin Griffin is not established although he is the starter, Hearst is a proven vet but old, and Mike Anderson appears to be slotted in the FB role. Bell should have every opporuntiy to prove his worth in practice and the preseason, giving him a chance to start.

Personally, I think he gets beat out of a job in camp and preseason and that he will not see very much pt this season at all. Still a better bet to get more carries than Brown at this point in time though.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Flux » Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:13 am

At this point I wouldnt really want to pick either, but if I had to pick I would go w/ Bell.

Eddie will still get 15-20 carries a game this year. Sure Brown might get 10 or so himself, but he will most likely not emerge as the starter.

Bell wont start at the begining of the season, but he has the most potential out of that DEN backfield. He at least has a chance to take over full duties, where I believe C. Brown does not at this point
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Great Gambini » Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:17 am

Brown showed me something late last year, while Bell is totally unproven. As great as Denver RBs have been in the past, I'd rather take a flier on Brown because the Titans really seem to like this kid, and he seems to be the future workhorse of the Titans.

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:52 am

To answer the second part of your question, I don't think there's any doubt that if both Bell and Brown were named the starting RB for their respective teams today, that Bell would be rated higher.

The first part of your question I see as being just as simple. The arguement that Bell has more competition is quantitatvie, not qualitative. Quite to the contrary, I see Brown as having more competition.

Sure, Bell has to go up against more people, but it's a bunch of guys that really, other than Anderson (who seems to be pencilled in as the FB anyhow) have done nothing more for the franchise than Bell.

On the other hand, Chris Brown has to go up against a guy that's played a multitude of seasons as Tennessee's workhorse, carried them on his back to a superbowl, and appears to be a fan favorite. It's much easier to unseat Quentin Griffin than Eddie George.

I really don't see Chris Brown "winning the outright starting job" as a legitimate possibilty. As long as Eddie George is wearing a Titans uniform, he'll get a very large chunk of the carries. On Denver's side, the guy that wins the job will likely do just that, win the job, the whole job.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby pttwo » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:42 pm

I can't remember where I read it, but a mini-camp report said something along the lines of Bell not impressing the Denver coaching staff so far. A far cry from the usual flubdubbery and ringing endorsements seemingly handed out to every player in offseason workouts. Although given Mike Shanahan's pecnhant for lying, maybe he's really planning on starting Bell Week 1.
pttwo
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to Football Talk