(boring)news from around the league. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

(boring)news from around the league.

Moderator: Football Moderators

(boring)news from around the league.

Postby KingGhidra » Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:48 am

Cowboys have options at running back, 6/30
Pundits speculated that the Dallas Cowboys would seek a veteran running back to back up projected rookie starter Julius Jones after Erik Bickerstaff suffered a season ending injury. According to the USAToday.com, the vacancy could be filled from within. First-year RB Reshard Lee could fill the team's need for a "big" back. Also, Aveion Cason now weighs 215 lbs. and could emerge as more than a change of pace back.

I think that's supposed to read "Cowboys have no options at running back".

Chargers high on Gates, 6/30
USAToday.com reports that TE Antonio Gates has been singled out by the coaching staff for his impressive work during the offseason. The team believes he's on the verge of a breakout season.

I knew they were high on SOMETHING.

Johnson sports a new attitude, 6/30
USAToday.com reports that Kansas City RB Larry Johnson has been practicing this offseason with a passion that was not apparent last season. Johnson has impressed the coaching staff by running hard during offseason workouts and he's expected to push Derrick Blaylock for the backup job behind starter Priest Holmes.

Bengals less likely to sign veterans, 6/30
USAToday.com reports that the more time passes, the less likely the Cincinnati Bengals are to sign veteran free agents DL Daryl Gardener and OLB Jason Gildon.

Baker likely to see more time, 6/30
USAToday.com reports that with TE Anthony Becht scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent after the season, the New York Jets are likely to use TE Chris Baker more this year.

Tight End news is always good.

Bills' RBs coach comments on McGahee, 6/30
USAToday.com recently published comments by Buffalo Bills' running backs coach Eric Studesville about the team's plans for tailbacks Travis Henry and Willis McGahee.

"I worked with Ron Dayne and Tiki Barber (in New York)," Studesville stated. "Certainly, numbers wise, Tiki contributed more but Ron was instrumental in some things that we did. I think they can co-exist. That's our job to figure out the roles and functions of each player and to figure out how to slide them in and maximize their strengths."

So which one is he comparing to Ron Dayne? That's an insult.

Patriots still in the market, 6/30
USAToday.com reports that the New England Patriots are interested in possibly adding a veteran quarterback or offensive lineman prior to the start of training camp.

Packers still waiting on Gildon, 6/30
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that the Green Bay Packers have offered ex-Steelers' OLB Jason Gildon a contract but are still waiting for a response. Gildon is believed to be weighing offers from Chicago, Buffalo and Cincinnati.

Smith injures knee during workout, 6/30
The Miami Herald reports that Dolphins' LT Wade Smith injured his right knee and ankle on Tuesday during an informal workout. The team believes he has a sprained MCL, however, and MRI was conducted and official results are pending.

This isn't looking good for Ricky at all.

Ward plans to be at camp, 6/29
The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that Steelers' WR Hines Ward, who is unhappy with his current contract situation, was asked whether he intended to report for the start of the team's training camp in July. Ward gave a somewhat favorable response.

"I hope," Ward said when asked if he would report on time. "As far as I know I am. Until Eugene (Parker, his agent,) tells me otherwise, I am planning on reporting to camp. That is my plan to be there. I never even considered (being late). That's the last resort, I think. We don't see it being a problem."

So what happens to Pittsburgh if Burress and Ward hold out?

Price moved to the slot, 6/28
The Sporting News reports that Atlanta Falcons' offensive coordinator Greg Knapp has been using WR Peerless Price in the slot during organized offseason workouts. The idea is to use Price in the slot on occasion during the regular season in order to generate favorable matchups against reserve defensive backs.

IE, he wasn't generating favorable matchups against starting defensive backs.

Boldin moving to the outside, 6/28
Arizona Cardinals' WR Anquan Boldin, who excelled in his rookie season in the slot, will be moved to the outside according to The Sporting News. The publication labeled the change by head coach Dennis Green as a "risk."

This is actually old news.

Bennett could be a breakthrough player, 6/28
A recent article in the Tennessean claims that Titans' players and coaches consider WR Drew Bennett to be one of the five best pure athletes on the team. Bennett, the projected to start opposite Derrick Mason, could be in store for a breakout season.

Receiver-by-committee in San Diego, 6/28
The Sporting News reports that San Diego Chargers head coach Marty Schottenheimer is envisioning a receiver-by-comittee approach this season. Members of the so-called "committee" would include WRs Reche Caldwell, Eric Parker, Kevin Dyson, Tim Dwight and Kassim Osgood.

That's an all-star list of WRs if I ever saw one.

Porter likely to ascend to starter status, 6/28
The Sporting News reports that WR Jerry Porter is expected to supplant WR Tim Brown in the Oakland Raiders' starting lineup and also bypass WR Jerry Rice as the team's "go-to" receiver.

Givens likely to start over Brown, 6/28
According to The Sporting News, WR David Givens is expected to start opposite WR Deion Branch in New England this upcoming season. That would leave veteran Troy Brown to come off the bench in a third/slot receiver role.

Smith tries to roll back the clock, 6/28
The Sporting News is reporting that Jacksonville Jaguars' WR Jimmy Smith has looked impressive during offseason workouts. Smith has dropped 10 pounds with his current playing weight now 198 pounds. The team has also been pleasantly surprised with added quickness displayed by Smith.

If I had a nickel for every "looked impressive during offseason workouts" comment made...

Smith completes strong offseason, 6/28
The Sporting News reports that offseason free agent acquisition, DT Robaire Smith was extremely impressive during the Houston Texans' series of offseason workouts.

Shootout in the AFC South. That's gonna be a fun division this season.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Football Talk