Chad Pennington - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Chad Pennington

Moderator: Football Moderators

Chad Pennington

Postby Football Newbie » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:14 pm

Everywhere i see him ranked hes around the 10-12 range, and i feel this is too low. I have him at about number 7. Tell me why you think he is a number 10-12 QB or if that is too low.

Discuss Away.
Football Newbie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby CC » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:16 pm

I like him at around the 7 or 8 spot. If you're playing in a league with a bunch of chumps don't target him though because he has name value and that leads to him going pretty high. I have him around the same level as Trent Green.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Warpigs » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:20 pm

Dude, if Pennington can stay healthy all year (which I don't see as a problem unless he gets into some freak preseason accident), I think he'll finish the season as a top-10 QB for sure. Honestly, I think that as long as Santana Moss continues to improve himself and McCareins proves to be the No. 2 threat that the Jets need to keep defenses honest, then Pennington will be a top 5 QB IMO. He has amazing accuracy and doesn't back down from pressure.

The big thing that I think people worry about in the rankings you're seeing is the running game. Obviously Curtis Martin's time is about up and they need to start transitioning the running game over to LaMont (who I think is in a contract year, so they need to move this year). If that transition falters for some reason, then I could see Pennington strugggling a little. But just a little.

Just don't make too much noise about him -- I'm hoping to snag him in a late round at a value spot!! ;-D
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Warpigs » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:22 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote: I have him around the same level as Trent Green.

Trent Green? I actually think he's a better QB than Green in that he'll do everything possible to not make mistakes. His accuracy and decision making abilities will keep him near the top of the QB lists all season. PLus, he has better weapons than Green (arguably)
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter

Postby CC » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:24 pm

I don't disagree that he's a better real-life QB than Trent Green, but it's tough to argue with 4000 yards and 26 TDs.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Warpigs » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:32 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:I don't disagree that he's a better real-life QB than Trent Green, but it's tough to argue with 4000 yards and 26 TDs.

True, but I think Green has hit his ceiling for the most part -- Pennington still has a lot more upside IMO. Again, it depends on how the running game shakes out this season. The AFC East isn't exactly a cakewalk defense-wise.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter

Postby Flux » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:47 pm

My top 10 look like this

1) Culpepper
2) Manning
3) McNabb
4) Vick
5) Hasselbeck
6) Trent Green
7) McNair
8) Pennington
9) Favre
10) Bulger

I think Trent will be a steal in a lot of draft b/c he isnt throwing to big name WRs, he kind of just gets lost in a crowd. I like Pennington to have a good year and McCareins' presence should really help his numbers and should definitely be in the top 10. We have yet to see Pennington play a full season though, which worries me a tinge. He
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Adlaw » Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:01 pm

If I had a scale in real play intangibles, Pennington would smoke Green. However the system Green is in helps a ton! He is even on system and need I say Holmes alone.
Adlaw
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby KingGhidra » Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:36 pm

Adlaw wrote:If I had a scale in real play intangibles, Pennington would smoke Green. However the system Green is in helps a ton! He is even on system and need I say Holmes alone.

Green is a very very very good QB. Sure it helps when half of your completions come from throwing to your TE and RB, but the other half come primarily from hitting his other marginal receivers downfield in stride. I don't really have a handle on what his arm strength is compared to a Vick or Manning, but it looks pretty good. He throws the short medium and deep routes very accurately, he did nothing but impress me when I watched him last year. He also seems to have gotten over the INT problem he had a few years back. Vermeil knew what he was doing bringing him to St. Louis in '99.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby CC » Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:40 pm

If he hadn't gotten hurt and had Warner steal his job, he would have put up as good as if not better numbers than Warner did in St. Louis.
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Football Talk