Thomas Jones Vs. Priest Holmes - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Thomas Jones Vs. Priest Holmes

Moderator: Football Moderators

Thomas Jones Vs. Priest Holmes

Postby Portishead » Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:28 pm

OK, let me preface this post that I am simply bringing this up for discussion, I don't by any means think it is gospel. Also, I apologize for the stats not lining up (if anyone has a tip about how to do this please let me know.)

Priest Holmes spent 4 years in Baltimore before moving to KC and stepping into the St. Louis-style offensive Vermeil brought with him and since then I think we can all agree that Holmes has been the epitome of a fantasy stud.

Thomas Jones has been in the league for 4 years and this year will be stepping into a St. Louis-style offense brought to Chicago by Lovie Smith. I decided to look into the numbers and here is what I found...

Size
Priest 5'9" 213 lbs.
Jones 5'10" 220 lbs.

First 3 Years in the League
Att Yrds Avg TDs Rec Yrds Avg TDs T-Yrds T-TD
PH 322 1514 4.7 8 56 364 6.5 0 1878 9
TJ 362 1264 3.5 9 73 472 6.5 1 1736 9

Final Year before St. Louis-style Offense
RUSHING GS G Att Yards Avg TDs
PH 16 2 137 588 4.3 2
TJ 16 3 137 627 4.6 3
RECEIVING Rec Yards Avg TDs
PH 32 221 6.9 0
TJ 24 180 7.5 1

I know a lot of intangibles come into play but keep in mind that there is no doubt of Jones' speed and the Bears picked up Jon Tait in the off-season who has quite a bit of experience in the offense after paving the way for Priest the last few years.

Jones' maturity level is still a MAJOR question but it makes for an interesting debate.
Portishead
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:33 pm

I think TJones could be a pretty huge value pick in the mid rds of a draft this yr. If he can sit Atrain and take 90% of the load, I see a possible top 20 RB. CHI didn sign him to a 4 yr deal so he could backup ATrain either.

It should be interesting to see how he does, but as of now I have TJones near the top of my sleeper list.

BTW - Im not so keen on the Holmes comparisons - but you are right, statistically they are pretty damn even.

EDIT - I just wanted to link this recent thread discussing TJones v Atrain:

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... hp?t=63131
Last edited by Cornbread Maxwell on Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby 34=Sweetness » Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:35 pm

Except look at the YPC, Holmes is better by a good 1.2 yards. Other numbers are pretty even, and as a bears fan Id enjoy a Holmes like player on our team!
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby TheRawDAWG » Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:35 pm

ssssssssshhhhhhhhh...... ;-)
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Portishead » Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:38 pm

I agree the YPC is a big adavantage to Holmes and I'm not saying Jones will be the next Reverend by any means, but Holmes was playing for a Baltimore team that built itself a champ in 2001 while Jones was in Arizona.
Portishead
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Buckychudd » Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:16 pm

The difference?

Priest Holmes was sitting behind a major stud in Jamal Lewis.....who put up 2,000 last year. Jones was sitting behind who?......Shipp (sucks, benched for an 80 yo Emmitt), Pittman (sucks), Alstott (sucks).

Plus I wouldn't even trust the Bear's O-line to serve the Chief's line coffee.

So forgive me if I'm a bit sceptical.
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Free Bagel » Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:17 pm

When I saw the title to this thread, I thought it was a joke. After opening it up though, you bring up an interesting point. It still seems a bit crazy, but so would the notion that Priest Holmes would break the season TD total when he went to KC, so ya never know.

I'll admit I wasn't even contemplating taking Thomas Jones before reading this but now if he slips a bit it may be worth taking a midround flier on him.

By the way, you can use the code function to display text with the formatting you type for it:

Code: Select all
First 3 Years in the League
      Att   Yrds   Avg   TDs   Rec   Yrds    Avg   TDs   T-Yrds  T-TD
PH 322   1514   4.7    8      56     364    6.5     0      1878      9
TJ  362   1264   3.5    9      73     472   6.5      1      1736      9

Final Year before St. Louis-style Offense
     RUSHING GS   G   Att  Yards   Avg    TDs
PH                2    16  137  588    4.3      2
TJ                 3    16  137  627    4.6      3

RECEIVING Rec  Yards   Avg   TDs
PH              32   221      6.9     0
TJ              24   180      7.5     1

EDIT: bah, nevermind on the code thing.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby maddog60 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:29 pm

I saw this and thought it would be a take off or at least mention a heading I saw on yahoo sports that was something like: "Thomas Jone, the 2nd coming of Priest Holmes."

Personally, I think its a bit ridiculous and premature, though I lot of the factors and statistics do coincide. I think that the two big differences however have already been mentioned:

1. Priest had a healthy 4.7 ypc during those year, whereas Thomas had a very Hambrick-ish 3.5

2. Priest was on the bench because of one Jamal Lewis, whereas Jones has been benched in favor of running backs that havent proven themselves worth a starting role, and in fact his toughest competition to date may very well be A-Train. He's had more success than Shipp or Pittman has ever had, and honestly, if he played a full 16 games ever, might not have bad stats in fantasy football (especially with an improved o-line).
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby CC » Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:38 pm

Plus Holmes did put up 1000 yards one season when he was in Baltimore.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby KingGhidra » Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:55 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
BTW - Im not so keen on the Holmes comparisons - but you are right, statistically they are pretty damn even.

Except for one thing. Priest got the majority of his stats in 1 1/2 years as a starter. It pretty much took TJ all 3 years to get those same stats.

Interesting comparison though.
;-)
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk