Thomas Jones Vs. Priest Holmes - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Thomas Jones Vs. Priest Holmes

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:03 pm

A couple more notes regarding Jones past. In Arizona he didnt really have the luxury of being on a team that could afford having a running game at all behind a terrible offensive line and having to play from behind on a consistant basis. In TB they had an obvious RBBC and a westcoast offense where the noone really got many carries - but when he did get the touches last yr he did pretty damn good: 4.6 ypc.

Here's a few more recent quotes on TJones

SportingNews wrote:Thomas Jones of the Bears could be the second coming of Priest Holmes. Jones' ability led the Cardinals to draft him with the seventh overall pick in 2000, but it went into hibernation shortly thereafter. That talent started to show through last season in limited opportunities with the Bucs. Now that Jones is on a team that will keep pumping him the ball and in a system that will highlight his skills, he should emerge as one fine player. The only questions scouts have about Jones: durability and toughness.

and

SportingNews wrote:John Tait, OT, Bears. One of the league's best run-blocking tackles, Tait will be an integral part of Chicago's revamped line and offense.
Fantasy spin: With Tait and former Bills guard Ruben Brown, the right side will be the bright side for new feature back Thomas Jones.

Im sorry fellas - but the more I look at him, the more I like TJones. Call me a sucker I guess.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CC » Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:04 pm

I'll admit, I'm on the bandwagon. I think he should be pretty good as a 3rd back this year.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Philly Phantom » Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:12 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:Plus Holmes did put up 1000 yards one season when he was in Baltimore.

Yeah but about 400 of those yards came in two games against my beloved Bengals. I think the two major differences are O-Line where KC clearly has the advantage with two Pro Bowlers and supporting cast. Nobody can afford to play 8 men in the box with Tony Gonzales, Dante Hall and a few servicable receivers running chinese fire drill routes. Too many offensive questions in Chi-town. Add to that the fact that he may split carries and this argument becomes lopsided.

Speed- Holmes>Jones
Hands- Holmes>Jones
Patience- Holmes>Jones
Cutback Ability- Holmes>Jones
I may be a Bengals fan (since '81), but I know my Football.
Philly Phantom Beginner
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby nsulham » Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:14 pm

As a guy who's gambled on Jones in the past and been burned, I can't help but be cautious of him. If he's there for the taking as my #3 RB, I might pull the trigger but I'm understandably gunshy when it comes to Jones.
New England Patriots
The 53-man Dynasty
nsulham
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:50 pm

One thing I have noticed is that Priest had a lot of things going on...seemed huge upside when he left the Ravens...Jones leaving Tampa and Arizona is just kinda like well hmm maybe....

I think it's pretty risky,
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Flux » Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:52 pm

SwiperNoSwiping wrote:One thing I have noticed is that Priest had a lot of things going on...seemed huge upside when he left the Ravens...Jones leaving Tampa and Arizona is just kinda like well hmm maybe....

I think it's pretty risky,

People were still saying "Priest is no Faulk"
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:19 pm

Risky? Were talking about a guy who typically isnt being drafted until after the 7th rd of most drafts Ive seen.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:19 pm

May be very true..And with Julius in the league that may be extra motivation......
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Buckychudd » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:24 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Risky? Were talking about a guy who typically isnt being drafted until after the 7th rd of most drafts Ive seen.

So if you combine this with the Moss theory.....hmmmm!?

:-?
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:23 pm

If Thomas Jones is being taken in the 7th, I'll be quite happy picking up A-Train in the 12th. Personally, I think the Bear's made a huge mistake signing a player like Jones to a contract like that. It's like the bears are playing fantasy football and just drafted KRob in the 2nd round.

Thomas has not proven himself in the NFL and even when he got a chance to start he did not look spectacular. His moderate success last season can against some of the worst run defenses in the league, save for Tennessee in week 17(they had already locked up a playoff spot by then).

I expect A-train to eventually take away T.J.'s job when the Bear's realize that A-Train is actually a decent RB. The guy put up decent numbers on a really, really crappy team last year. Even with his history of missing games, I thnk he deserves the starting spot in my book.

The Bear's made a mistake going after a starter in Thomas Jones, they only needed a backup. It's not like they don't have needs elsewhere on the field.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk