Duke's Coach "K" to coach LA? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Duke's Coach "K" to coach LA?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Duke's Coach "K" to coach LA?

Postby Flockers » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:45 pm

RALEIGH, N.C. -- Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski has been offered the Los Angeles Lakers' head coaching job, ESPN's Jim Gray reported Thursday.

According to Gray, the Lakers expect to hear from Krzyzewski in the next few days and hope to have their coaching search wrapped up by next week. There are no firm details yet on the offer, described as multiyear and multimillion. Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak met with Krzyzewski in North Carolina, Gray reported.

The sudden developments with Krzyzewski may have additional ramifications for the Lakers. ESPN's Jay Bilas reports that Lakers free agent guard Kobe Bryant has made it clear to the team that he wants Krzyzewski to be his next coach.

Earlier Thursday, The Associated Press reported that the Lakers were in "serious discussions" with Krzyzewski about their coaching position.

Krzyzewski, a 57-year-old Hall of Famer, has led the Blue Devils to three national championships in almost a quarter-century at the school.

"Coach K has informed us that the Los Angeles Lakers have contacted him and entered into serious discussions to fill their vacant head coaching position," Duke athletic director Joe Alleva said.

Lakers spokesman John Black said Kupchak met with Krzyzewski. "They talked about our coaching vacancy," he said.

Black said the team hasn't made a decision, and was considering several other candidates to replace Phil Jackson.

Alleva said he didn't know if the Krzyzewski and the Lakers were close to a deal.

"I haven't been privy to their conversations," he said. "But obviously, they are a great franchise."
Duke spokesman Jon Jackson said Krzyzewski was in Durham earlier Thursday. The Lakers declined to say where the discussions were held.

An attempt to reach Krzyzewski by phone was unsuccessful.

By Thursday night, about 100 students and fans gathered at "Krzyzewskiville" -- the grassy plot outside Cameron Indoor Stadium where students camp out to attend Blue Devil basketball games -- with signs and flags urging the coach to stay.

Duke president Richard Brodhead told The Associated Press he and Alleva had dinner with Krzyzewski on Tuesday, after Brodhead became aware that the coach had talked with the Lakers.

Brodhead said he didn't know if the Lakers offered Krzyzewski the job.

"If he has the offer, he's going to have a big decision before him," said Brodhead, who officially took office as Duke's president Thursday, succeeding Nan Keohane.

Brodhead said he and Alleva urged Krzyzewski to finish his career at the school.

"He means more to this place than the record of his victories, impressive though that is," Brodhead said. "He's a real teacher. He teaches character as well as basketball."

Krzyzewski has a 621-179 record in 24 seasons at Duke, leading the Blue Devils to NCAA championships in 1991, 1992 and 2001. Under Krzyzewski, the Blue Devils have 10 Final Four appearances, eight Atlantic Coast Conference tournament championships and 10 conference regular-season titles.

His Duke teams have been ranked No. 1 in 12 different seasons, including each of the last seven years.

"If he decides that he's had a great ride at Duke, but something else calls out to him now, we'd have to understand that," Brodhead said. "In the meantime, you can be sure we'll do all we can to persuade him that Duke and the college game are the right place for him."

The mother of incoming freshman David McClure, said her son was first informed of the news in a call from assistant coach Steve Wojciechowski on Thursday.

Betty McClure said she spoke with Krzyzewski over the weekend when the family brought the 6-foot-7 swingman to Durham for summer classes, and the coach gave no indication of leaving.

"They said that every year he gets approached by some team or another," she said from her home in Ridgefield, Conn. "And so, how can you really expend a lot of energy being angry or anything until you know what he's going to do?"

David McClure, reached Thursday night, said he had been told by the coaching staff not to comment.

The Lakers announced June 18 -- three days after losing to the Detroit Pistons in the NBA Finals -- that Jackson wouldn't return as coach next season. Jackson, who signed a five-year, $30 million contract with the Lakers in June 1999, guided them to championships in his first three seasons.

Former Rockets coach Rudy Tomjanovich has been considered the front-runner to succeed Jackson. He met with team owner Jerry Buss and Kupchak last week.

Former Lakers coach Pat Riley, an executive with the Miami Heat, also met with Buss and Kupchak, but issued a statement saying he wasn't a candidate.

Among others mentioned have been Kurt Rambis and Jim Cleamons, members of Jackson's staff. Kupchak said he planned to interview more than one person and less than 10 for the job and hoped to have a coach in place as soon as possible.

Last month, Detroit Pistons coach Larry Brown became the first coach to win titles in both the NBA and NCAA. But Brown is the exception to the general trend of college coaches struggling in the NBA.

Rick Pitino went from two straight appearances in the national title game with Kentucky to the Boston Celtics, before quitting in 2001 and later returning to the college ranks with Louisville.

In 1992, Jerry Tarkanian, whose UNLV team won a national title in 1990, lasted just 20 games before being fired by the San Antonio Spurs with a 9-11 record.

More recently, former college coaches Lon Kruger, John Calipari, Leonard Hamilton and Tim Floyd have struggled during short tenures with the Atlanta Hawks, New Jersey Nets, Washington Wizards and New Orleans Hornets, respectively.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1832934
Last edited by Flockers on Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Football

Postby VHawk15 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:49 pm

If Coach K is smart, he won't go. After the LA team falls apart (Shaq gets traded, Kobe leaves/goes to jail), Duke might be a better team than the Lakers anyway. ;-)

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:15 am

I think there is about a 1% chance Kryzyewski leaves Duke. I think ESPN is trying to drum this up to make a hot topic.

He really has no reason to leave something that he likes doing. He loves teaching the young players about fundamental basketball and the college atmosphere at Duke. I don't think there is a good enough reason for him to go coach young players who just have raw individual talent over ones that really want to play like a team. So what if his players are leaving for the NBA...that's the way things are these days due to the money involved.

Could Mike pull a Larry Brown? That's my other question. Rick Pitino is a good college coach who never seemed to pan out in the NBA. Coach K may do the exact same thing if he were to try - especially coaching the Lakers who look like they will be dead in the water next year. That's why I'm hoping he stays put.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Flockers » Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:23 am

Mercer Boy wrote:I think there is about a 1% chance Kryzyewski leaves Duke. I think ESPN is trying to drum this up to make a hot topic.

He really has no reason to leave something that he likes doing. He loves teaching the young players about fundamental basketball and the college atmosphere at Duke. I don't think there is a good enough reason for him to go coach young players who just have raw individual talent over ones that really want to play like a team. So what if his players are leaving for the NBA...that's the way things are these days due to the money involved.

Could Mike pull a Larry Brown? That's my other question. Rick Pitino is a good college coach who never seemed to pan out in the NBA. Coach K may do the exact same thing if he were to try - especially coaching the Lakers who look like they will be dead in the water next year. That's why I'm hoping he stays put.

Plus, why leave a team that is contending for the title every year?
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby awwchrist » Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:21 am

People get bored. I think LA is banking on Coach K wanting something new.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:14 am

I hope he goes so Duke can start to suck and the Lakers too ;-D
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless

Postby CC » Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:27 am

Canadian Seahawk wrote:I hope he goes so Duke can start to suck and the Lakers too ;-D

Me too. :-b
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DUKE » Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:52 am

Please God NO! I'm sick to my stomach at the thought of seeing Coach K on the sidelines of another team. It sucks that Deng and Livingston left for the draft this year, and that the college game is changing, with a lot of the top players skipping to the NBA so quickly. I'm sure some of these factors disenchant Coach K to a certain degree, but I'm still holding out hope that he'll stay at Duke and finish his career there. I'm not ready for him to turn the reigns over to Johnny Dawkins just yet. I'm sure some of my College BBall rivals here would like to see him go though (Hayes,Terp,TLY) :-D I say he stays (w/ fingers crossed).
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby hayesb26 » Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am

Actually, may come as a surprise, but I'd rather see Coach K remain at Duke than run off to the lakers. (I think he's just scared now that UNC has a team that can dominate :-D)

It just wouldn't be the same watchin the heels' play twice a year without Coach K, wouldn't feel the same beating "Dawkins".

:-b
hayesb26
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:18 am

hayesb26 wrote:Actually, may come as a surprise, but I'd rather see Coach K remain at Duke than run off to the lakers. (I think he's just scared now that UNC has a team that can dominate :-D)

It just wouldn't be the same watchin the heels' play twice a year without Coach K, wouldn't feel the same beating "Dawkins".

:-b

Agreed, if he leaves it would be all too conveinient that my Heels are fielding this lineup.

PG - Felton
SG - McCants
SF - Marvin Williams
PF - Jawad Williams
C - Sean May

With Scott coming off the bench that lineup is damn near untouchable.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk