My thoughts on Steve Smith - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

My thoughts on Steve Smith

Moderator: Football Moderators

My thoughts on Steve Smith

Postby KingGhidra » Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:55 am

I have a very strange thought process sometimes. I was looking back over my mock drafts and kicking myself for drafting Smith in the 3rd back in February. Right after that, I had a discussion with my super inside source for Carolina news and he was saying he thinks the Panthers and Smith are overrated.

So that got me into a pessimistic mode and figured "yeah he probably racked up a bunch of yards when Davis had big games and got some lucky 1 on 1 coverage". So I went back over game by game stats for 2003 and this is what I uncovered.

Steve Smith:
Week 1: 4 catches, 44 yards, 1 TD
Week 2: 3 catches, 27 yards, 0 TD
Week 4: 5 catches, 47 yards, 0 TD
Week 5: 1 catches, 13 yards, 0 TD
Week 6: 6 catches, 103 yards, 1 TD
Week 7: 10 catches, 151 yards, 1 TD
Week 8: 9 catches, 100 yards, 0 TD
Week 9: 5 catches, 88 yards, 1 TD
Week 10: 9 catches, 72 yards, 1 TD
Week 11: 4 catches, 50 yards, 0 TD
Week 12: 4 catches, 73 yards, 0 TD
Week 13: 5 catches, 80 yards, 1 TD
Week 14: 7 catches, 66 yards, 0 TD
Week 15: 9 catches, 99 yards, 0 TD
Week 16: 5 catches, 81 yards, 1 TD
Week 17: 2 catches, 16 yards, 0 TD

Starting in week 6, he had a huge stretch of stud performances.

Stephen Davis

Week 1: 22 carries, 111 yards
Week 2: 33 carries, 142 yards
Week 4: 21 carries, 153 yards, 1 TD
Week 5: 30 carries, 159 yards, 1 TD
Week 6: 15 carries, 76 yards, 1 TD
Week 7: 11 carries, 20 yards
Week 8: 31 carries, 178 yards, 2TD
Week 9: 30 carries, 153 yards
Week 10: DNP
Week 11: 28 carries, 92 yards, 1TD
Week 12: 26 carries, 59 yards, 1TD
Week 13: 23 carries, 115 yards
Week 14: 24 carries, 81 yards, 1TD
Week 15: 13 carries, 48 yards
Week 16: DNP
Week 17: 11 carries, 57 yards

Interesting how Smith's breakout matches up with Davis's first injury. The first time Davis couldn't be counted on to carry the load, Steve Smith stepped up for the team. Not only that, but he continued to enjoy success the rest of the season regardless if Davis had a huge game or didn't play.

What does that all mean? Probably nothing, but I'm not as pessimistic about Steve Smith anymore.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Football Newbie » Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:57 am

STEVE SMITH IS THE MAN. He will be huge for years to come, if you saw him in the playoffs last year then you know he has potential for huge things. I think he will be a top 10 reciever easy.
Football Newbie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:21 am

Smith turned his whole act around last year. The expectations that management put on him during his contract year and Muhammad becoming less of a force in the offense really kicked him in the pants and got him to show off his abilities. He's definitely in the caliber of a Derrick Mason but with more explosive capabilities.

That brings up another question...you guys think he'll still be a punt returner now that he's the main receiver? He kept doing it at the end of last year when he was doing well, but you never know when a nervous coach decides that a special teams injury could take him out for the season.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Gunslinger » Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:44 am

As we all know, for a WR to be successful the QB and WR need to have chemistry/rhythm and the WR needs to be included in the play calling. I think Davis' injury just forced those issues. Once Delhomme and the coaching staff had confidence in Smith it was all he needed to have continued success even after Davis came back.

I haven't seen any mention of whether or not he'll continue to return punts. I would hope he gets taken off of that duty. He needs to rest up so he can score lots of points for my dynasty team. :)
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby CC » Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:33 am

Steve Smith should make a shaky #1 WR, but he would make a very solid #2 WR. The thing that impressed me most about Steve Smith wasn't his performance during the season, but how he stepped up in the playoffs. In my opinion he was the best WR for all of the playoffs last year, breaking away for numerous long TDs against quality corners, and making big catches when it counted.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Gunslinger » Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:43 am

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:Steve Smith should make a shaky #1 WR, but he would make a very solid #2 WR. The thing that impressed me most about Steve Smith wasn't his performance during the season, but how he stepped up in the playoffs. In my opinion he was the best WR for all of the playoffs last year, breaking away for numerous long TDs against quality corners, and making big catches when it counted.

Absolutely. Both he and Foster showed me a lot of what they were made of during the playoffs. Clutch.
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Flux » Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:53 am

Gunslinger wrote:As we all know, for a WR to be successful the QB and WR need to have chemistry/rhythm and the WR needs to be included in the play calling. I think Davis' injury just forced those issues. Once Delhomme and the coaching staff had confidence in Smith it was all he needed to have continued success even after Davis came back.

I haven't seen any mention of whether or not he'll continue to return punts. I would hope he gets taken off of that duty. He needs to rest up so he can score lots of points for my dynasty team. :)

I think Gunslinger hit the nail on the head. With S. Davis' injury it forced Delhomme to pass more, and as a result he found his go to guy. S. Smith kind of just fell into the role as Muhammad wasnt going to step up for the challenge.

Im not that high on Smith, but I wouldnt mind him as a #2.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: My thoughts on Steve Smith

Postby Buckychudd » Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:01 am

KingGhidra wrote:Interesting how Smith's breakout matches up with Davis's first injury. The first time Davis couldn't be counted on to carry the load, Steve Smith stepped up for the team. Not only that, but he continued to enjoy success the rest of the season regardless if Davis had a huge game or didn't play.

Nice analysis KG!

As a Charlottean I'm pretty fond of Smith. I think he grew up last year, and am looking for some positive things from him this year.....I have a feeling that the Panthers will be less dependent on the running game this year.
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby goleafsgo96 » Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:26 am

I think most ppl can agree he makes an aveage #1 receiver, and a great #2 receiver. And i think thats what most ppl are expecting of him right?

Also Its no secret Carolina plans on using Davis alot less this year, and i dont think Deshaun will be as effective as Davis (at least this year) so i expect alot from Steve this year.
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:45 am

The best thing that happened for Smith is that Muhammad stayed with the team. I would have downgraded him without a dependable receiver on the other side.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk