Madden 2005
84%
ESPN Football 2005
16%

Total votes : 38

Postby Play Maker » Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:52 am

goleafsgo96 wrote:
th3ma7r1x wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:Wtf are you people saying "choose ESPN for gameplay" smoking??? You have it completely mixed up. Madden is king because of GAMEPLAY. ESPN has tried adding all these gay little features like cribs and highlights, and beefy graphics, but the reason no game will be able to catch up to Madden for a long long time is because Madden's gameplay is years beyond what the other guys are putting out.

I totally agree. I love the gameplay in Madden as well as the franchise. Madden is king.

No doubt about it. If i wanna actually play the game, ill take madden. If i feel like doing a franchise, ill take madden.

Hands down its madden, even though Madden 04 had some glitches, and numerous cheating, and glitches online, its still king. Hell would have to freeze over for madden not be the best.
Play Maker
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Monty » Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:26 am

MAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNN
- AKA Monty in the FBC (bet you didn't see that one comin')
Monty
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby IRON CHEF » Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:55 pm

grab Madden, if you really needed another opinion

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jumpman8828 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:31 pm

Monty wrote:MAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNN

NittanyLions likes ESPN better. You should be ashamed.
jumpman8828
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby cooleyhigh » Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:55 am

ESPN is crap. Every 5'9 150 lb. player is like Bettis in his prime bowling over LB's and D-linemen. Not to mention 1 out of every 4 kickoff returns is a TD.

Every person I whip on EA football complains about the bomb. Why does'nt it work for me. Because I had single coverage and you had triple fool... It's not my fault you can't read a D!!!

ESPN is great for 10 year olds who want to acquire bling in the crib instead of dealing with finacial issues of an NFL franchise.
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Canacuna » Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:00 am

I have a free rental comin' my way this weekend - I'm gonna give NFL 2K5 a shot.

I usually wait till NFL2K and Madden are $20 and pick 'em up, but I've become so fed up with 2K's horrible franchise mode (gameplay was decent enough, Madden is still much better)... I'll probably only stick to Madden this year and buy it in August instead of December.

I could be surprised, though - SEGA may have actually improved it some. I might post a little review or something next week if y'all are lucky.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Monty » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:07 pm

MMMMMAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDEEEEEEEEENNNNNN
- AKA Monty in the FBC (bet you didn't see that one comin')
Monty
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby TalenCross » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:17 pm

Have any of you played ESPN NFL 2k5? I doubt it. YOu might want to before you say Madden is better. I have bought Madden every year for the past 4 years, and now I am thinking of keeping with ESPN. It runs great, but the franchise is not as well done. Stats are much better, and they even include half sacks and such. I will rent Madden for a week. If I end up liking it, I'll buy it.
Just don't knock it till you've tried it. Madden is just a game, not a freakin religion.
TalenCross
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:32 pm

I haven't played it myself, but some people I know did and they were extremely dissappointed, particularly with the gameplay.

The main gripes I've heard are:
--tackle breaking is out of control

--offensive passing seems "muddy," as in when you look downfield you can't really see anything except a jumble of players, whereas in Madden you can actually look downfield and pick out what routes people are running and what defenses people are playing

--there's virtually no control on defense, the computer does everything, you do absolutely nothing.

Here's some clips from their reviews.

On offense I used Clinton Portis and needless to say the AI came into play here, he turned into a dag on pinball sometimes without my help. I haven't had much time to play the game but the running game is better than it used to be. Its not Madden but it is fun. The passing game feels a little fluffy to me, I feel like Im playing on the moon sometimes.

Also my favorite addition is the ability to add you own music!!!! That is the best. You can have specific music play during key events during the game. TD's, FG's, Kickoffs, Intros, you name it. Also you can use the editor to select certain spots in the song to play. My intro for the RedSkins is "The Takeover" by Jay-Z. Its just fun to customize ur game that way because I play with my friends a lot.

Madden wins out easily because the most important part of playing the game is how its plays, and even tho having personalized music is COOL AS HELL, its not going to mean anything when my players aren't controlling like I want!

While this game has some very nice features its lacking in the most important part and thats gameplay.

First thing I noticed is that its very hard to see the letters above your receivers head...X,B,Y and so forth. This makes it extremely hard,for me anyway, to pass. I found myself throwing to the wrong receiver time and time again just because I thought one letter was something else. Maybe I need glasses .

Second thing is the slow down when the receiver catches the ball. Its like slow motion... the game seems to bogg down or something right before the ball makes contact with the receivers hand.

The run game is somewhat comparible to Madden. Everyone knows I'm a big fan of the run game and even though ESPN puts up a nice effort Madden's run game is still better to me. Making guys miss is real hard on this game you seem to have to lower your head and try and run them over. I haven't juked anyone yet and made them miss. Broken tackles are still a problem in this game. I played my first game with the Bears using Thomas Jones and he broke at least two tackles a carry.

Reading the defense is like looking through muddy water...I can't seem to scan the field and find a open guy. So after a few plays I just focused on one. This could probably improve with practice though.

Once again on Defense I never feel like I'm in the play. I use my safety alot and I never can get to the action. On run plays I run right pass the guy and on pass plays I can never anticipate where the ball is going because the play is so hard to read once the ball is snapped.

Thats about it right now I only played one game and I must say even though the game looks nice its lacking in the most important category.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby TalenCross » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:59 pm

The problem with those reviews is that he only played one game. If you are used to Madden, of course you are going to have problems. On defense, I end up in the play many times. If he is using his safety, he won't be in all of the plays.
As far as the running game, I end up with more -2 to +2 yard runs than I do any others. Its very tough. If you use a high end RB, yes you will break a few tackles. The passing game is a bit rough with the reciever designations. As far as passing, the game makes it tough on you that you have to plant your feet to get off a good pass. Now, I have made off-balance throws, but I have also thrown most of my INT's that way.
I must say that my first real major gripe is the kicking game. I definately do not like it. Making FG's to me is practically impossible, but I guess I just need to learn it better.
As I said before, I'm not a big fan of thier franchise. My second gripe is the pregame preperations. No one has figured out how not to make all of your players rating go down. I got it once for my offense, but my defense all went down.
I will try Madden, but I will reserve judgement until then on which one I will stick with.
BTW, I am utterly sick of the color commentators from ALL sports games...its a DVD...you can pack WAY more comments than you do!!!! PLEASE!!! hehehe
TalenCross
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Sweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games