Edge Could Get Screwed By the Colts - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Edge Could Get Screwed By the Colts

Moderator: Football Moderators

Edge Could Get Screwed By the Colts

Postby CC » Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:28 pm

Profootballtalk.com wrote:COLTS HAVE THE EDGE ON JAMES?

On the same day that Colts G.M. Bill Polian is bemoaning in the USA Today his inability to retain two starting linebackers due to cash-flow problems inherent to life in a small market (but which didn't prevent him from paying a $38 million bonus to quarterback Peyton Manning), we're hearing that the team is feeling pretty good about the value it's realized over the past five seasons on Edgerrin James' rookie contract.

After being selected with the fourth overall pick in the 1999 draft, James signed a six-year deal. Despite a few restructurings, the contract essentially has paid out the same dollars promised at the outset, and the Colts have reaped the benefit of three stellar seasons and an above-average return last year from a 2002 ACL tear.

So with James entering the final year of his deal, word is that the Colts are content to allow him to finish out the contract and test the market in 2005. Veteran running backs with wear and tear simply aren't commanding big dollars on the open market, and the thinking is that James won't have many (any) eight-figure offers thrown his way in March of next year.

Conversely, Edge is feeling a bit like he took the shaft, we're told, giving his best years to the Colts while never getting that knee-buckling sophomore contract most elite players receive. Our guess is that he'll end up with an incentive-laden, two-year deal with a pedestrian signing bonus next year as he tries to show that he can get back to the form that made him one of the best backs in the NFL from 1999 through 2001.

As for the Colts, if they can't match the best offer that James gets elsewhere, maybe they can ask Manning to give back some of his money.

Manning won't do it, of course -- but at least they can ask.

I find this kind of sad, as I am a pretty big Edge fan. I would lose a lot of respect for the Colts organization if this comes to fruition. In addition, if Manning refused to restructure his monster contract to help Edge, the player who carried the Colts in Manning's early years, I would hate him more than I already do.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Flux » Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:36 pm

I think Manning is a selfish a$$ for taking that big of a contract. Fine, take it and to prove you are the 'best' but then at least restructure it for the benefit of your team.

Who are the RB prospects in Indy now? Isnt Rhodes gone or did he resign?

If anything i see this as a huge incentive for Edge to have a huge year.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:36 pm

Yea Rhodes is still around.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:44 pm

What I don't get is why he would sign a 6 year deal. It's common practice for highly drafted RB's to get their big money in their SECOND contract when they're in their prime, why you would make your first contract last until you're coming out of your prime is beyond me.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:52 pm

Free Bagel wrote:What I don't get is why he would sign a 6 year deal. It's common practice for highly drafted RB's to get their big money in their SECOND contract when they're in their prime, why you would make your first contract last until you're coming out of your prime is beyond me.

thats exactly what I was thinking. a 6 yr deal as a rookie???
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby CC » Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:56 pm

Stallworth signed a 7 year deal.
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby portisfan24 » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:52 pm

well either way edge has incentive to explode this year in his contract year.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby rhsrizzo » Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:24 pm

Yes, I think Edge deserves just a little more respect than that. He gave up ACL after ACL for that organization and they are giving him nothing in return.
rhsrizzo
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby KingGhidra » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:23 am

Curtis Martin is due 3.6m in salary for 2005. I doubt he sees that money.

Oakland will be in the market for a RB in 2005.

Shaun Alexander is a FA in 2005 and I keep hearing rumors that Seattle will let him walk.

Tampa Bay will be in the market for a RB in 2005.

I think 2005 won't be a bad year for FA RBs since quite a few teams will definitely need one and a few teams like Atlanta and Chicago might be open to nabbing Edge if things don't work out in 2004.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby 34=Sweetness » Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:04 am

I would love Edge with the Bears for a couple years. I think he could do a lot there.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Football Talk