Fantasy Football and Home Field Advantage? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Fantasy Football and Home Field Advantage?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby KingGhidra » Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:51 am

brdmaverick wrote:
SwiperNoSwiping wrote:I wouldn't like the idea. Why should you have to score that many more points than the other team to win if you are the 'away' team?

ok, maybe this wouldn't be a good idea in the regular season, but it would makes sense in the playoffs.

Why should you have to score that many more points than the other team to win if you are the away team? Simple, because the home team had a better record in the regular season. Its not like these points are just being 'given', they are earned (in the regular season.

They are being "given away". They already earned a favorable matchup against a low seed and possibly a bye depending on the league. You already simulate the real NFL as much as possible with seeding and byes. The NFL doesn't award the home team 3 points to start the game. Giving someone a 15 point lead is akin to giving them Deuce McAllister or Torry Holt for free to use during the playoffs. The NFL doesn't allow the home team to play with 12 players either. It's a stupid idea. Just go to a points league since you're afraid of upsets. The fact you are #1 or #2 should be all the comfort you need.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby brdmaverick » Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:51 am

my league plays in a division format (3 divisions, 4 teams each)

the three division winners and a wild card qualify for the playoffs

the big problem i am having right now in regards to incorporating home field advantage, is how to seed the wild card.

Should the wild card always be the fourth seed of the playoffs.

I've heard it happen before where the wild card winner will actually have a better record than one of the other two division winners. It would almost seem unfair to award home field advantage to an inferior team. So maybe the wild card doesn't always have to be the #4 seed.

Then again, I know this situation has come up in real football, where a team with a better record has to play a team on the road.

2003 nfl season, first round of the playoffs

Tennessee Titans (12-4) at Baltimore Ravens (10-6)

2002 nfl season, first round of the playoffs

Indianapolis Colts (10-6) at New York Jets (9-7)
Go Pats!
brdmaverick
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Plato » Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:55 am

[/quote]...They are being "given away". They already earned a favorable matchup against a low seed and possibly a bye depending on the league. You already simulate the real NFL as much as possible with seeding and byes. The NFL doesn't award the home team 3 points to start the game...[/quote]

But neither does the NFL force the game to be played on a nuetral site. And that's the point. Fantasy Football scoring systems are simply an attempt to account for what goes on in the NFL. Now if you're saying the NFL home field has no impact on the NFL playoffs, then I suppose you would be consistent to exclude HFA in a fantasy football scoring system. I certainly play in leagues like that, but I enjoy when HFA points are included. The more you try to account for, the deeper your scoring system becomes.
Plato
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Play Maker » Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:08 am

KingGhidra wrote:
brdmaverick wrote:
SwiperNoSwiping wrote:I wouldn't like the idea. Why should you have to score that many more points than the other team to win if you are the 'away' team?

ok, maybe this wouldn't be a good idea in the regular season, but it would makes sense in the playoffs.

Why should you have to score that many more points than the other team to win if you are the away team? Simple, because the home team had a better record in the regular season. Its not like these points are just being 'given', they are earned (in the regular season.

They are being "given away". They already earned a favorable matchup against a low seed and possibly a bye depending on the league. You already simulate the real NFL as much as possible with seeding and byes. The NFL doesn't award the home team 3 points to start the game. Giving someone a 15 point lead is akin to giving them Deuce McAllister or Torry Holt for free to use during the playoffs. The NFL doesn't allow the home team to play with 12 players either. It's a stupid idea. Just go to a points league since you're afraid of upsets. The fact you are #1 or #2 should be all the comfort you need.

I feel the same way, and if you dont feel comfortable with your team then you should of traded or pick up off waivers. I would be against the idea of this.
Play Maker
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Previous

Return to Football Talk