ESPN's False Advertising - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

ESPN's False Advertising

Moderator: Football Moderators

ESPN's False Advertising

Postby The Great Gambini » Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:01 am

Was I the only one who was disappointed and mad at ESPN Tuesday night? For the last month and a half, they have been advertising for the $5,000,000 WSOP, saying it started last night. "The Tuesday night Poker game is back, this time it's for $5 million bucks, starting Tuesday, July 6th". Turns out it was just a smaller tournament, followed by 7 card stud. Needless to say, I, along with many other poker fans I'm sure, was disappointed. And according to the WSOP website, the main event doesn't start until August 17th!

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Vikes_Fan2823 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:43 am

Well, its not false advertising.

That's what the World Series of Poker is, a series. They play 33 tournaments, including the Main Event on August 17th.
16-team PPR Keeper League
QB: T. Romo, V. Young
RB: M. Turner, B. Wells, T. Hightower
WR: A. Johnson, J. Ford, N. Burleson, A. Roberts, J. Simpson
TE: D. Clark, J. Cook
K: R. Gould
D/ST: Cardinals
Vikes_Fan2823
Head Coach
Head Coach

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby NittanyLions » Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:52 am

What they are trying to say is that the Poker games on Tuesdays are back (aka the world series of poker), and the series is for 5 mil this time, and the series will start on july 6
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby KingGhidra » Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:58 am

Wow I'm glad I didn't watch it. It's definitely deceptive since people are expecting what ESPN did the last few years. I don't remember them showing the qualifying tournaments leading up to the big dance.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:17 am

I was pretty mad when I saw it wasn't the No Limit tournament also. I didn't know this, but I guess there are side tournaments that are still part of the World Series; most people only care about the "No Limit Texas Hold 'Em" game. Once I started watching, I actually enjoyed watching how 7 card stud was played because I had never seen it before. Ted Forrest is a good player who I've seen on the WPT broadcasts, plus the guy who got 2nd place used to be the gladiator lever pusher from Caesar's Challenge (with Ahmad Rashad)! :-b
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby The Great Gambini » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:56 am

I should have said "misleading" advertising, but it was pretty disappointing. When my friends and I first turned it on, it seemed like it was the real $10,000 buy-in NL game, but it was really weird, because they went right to the final table. We were all puzzled, thinking that for some reason ESPN was televising the finals first and then backtracking through the rest of the tournament. When we finally heard that Norman Chad was "excited for the main event in a few weeks", we were relieved that ESPN didn't screw up the real WSOP, but also bummed that we had to wait a month for the big one.

The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Flockers » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:48 pm

The Great Gambini wrote:I should have said "misleading" advertising, but it was pretty disappointing. When my friends and I first turned it on, it seemed like it was the real $10,000 buy-in NL game, but it was really weird, because they went right to the final table. We were all puzzled, thinking that for some reason ESPN was televising the finals first and then backtracking through the rest of the tournament. When we finally heard that Norman Chad was "excited for the main event in a few weeks", we were relieved that ESPN didn't screw up the real WSOP, but also bummed that we had to wait a month for the big one.

I agree. But who saw the segment on Kenny Mayne on SportsCenter? LMAO!
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby The Great Gambini » Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:04 pm

The Mayne segment reminded me of my dark days in the high stakes rock, paper, scissors circle.

The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Postby terpfan » Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:39 pm

Yeah I was a bit dissapointed too...

ah well, just one more thing to look forward too :-/
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby 34=Sweetness » Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:35 pm

I have 2 problems watching poker on TV. Some of the fun is taken out because you know everyones hands. One of the funnest parts of playing is watching someone flip over a flush after another guy got suckered into going all in. Much more exciting when you don't know the hands. I also don't like how they only show the good hands. I think a lot of the skill comes from winning with bad hands. I still enjoy it, but I'd rather be playing.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to General Talk