Do the Opposite? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Do the Opposite?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Do the Opposite?

Postby badass32 » Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:02 pm

i found an interesting article in a fantasy football magazine, which is one guys opinion to do the opposite of what everyone else is doing in the draft. Even though before reading this i always did a RB first draft but this guy changed my mind. lemme tell u what it says.

it basically says that what the title implies, do the opposite. for instance say you have the 7th pick in the first roundand 7 of the top RB's are off of the board then u take moss, then in round 2 when its your turn if everyone is taking rb's still, then you take the top QB
and u just keep following this for the rest of the draft and in the 3rd and 4th round when everyone is grabbing qb's and wr's u grab ur rb's.

This is from the article

" yes it takes a lot of cajones to execute the opposite draft because you're usually short suited at RB (especially if your first pick is a late first rounder) and every draft day strategy article you've ever read begins with get RB' at all costs"

Skip paragraph(too long)

New paragraph

"Sure having a great runner or two will help tour chances of success. But more so than finding two great recievers, or a top tier reciever and QB? No."

well thats it tell me what ya think, i think it sounds like a good plan but thats just me
http://imgmywebpage.netscape.com/Smackthefirst/Deuce-Barlow-Sig.jpg/img
badass32
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby KolbSaves » Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:13 pm

I like the idea of being flexible in any fantasy draft. If you go in thinking that you're just going to execute one style (take an RB) then you won't end up with the best possible team.
KolbSaves
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:14 pm

Badass - are you familiar with the value based drafting theory? There is a reason RBs are more valuable than the other positions in FFB. I agree that having a top QB and WR is a good thing to have, but the difference between CPepp and McNabb, Green, or Bulger is pretty minimal compared to the difference between S. Alexander and TJ Duckett.

You see, following a run on any position isnt the smartest thing to do of course, but at the same time, the thing you really need to keep in mind is position scarcity.

I hope this helps you a bit. Good Luck.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby KolbSaves » Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:16 pm

heyyyy a familiar face
KolbSaves
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

player not position

Postby CellarDweller » Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:09 pm

My draft strategy is simple - the best player available!!!

Know your leagues scoring system before going into the draft. That way you can weigh differnt players and positions better. If there is a run at RB an elite WR may be the best selection. But if the top tier wideouts are gone then a second level RB might be the best player. I always draft for the best available player, so far this strategy has worked out well.

-CD-
the... C e l l a r D w e l l e r
CellarDweller
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby KingGhidra » Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:31 pm

I agree and disagree with the article.

It's a good exercise in knowing when to move to another position when the well is running dry. When it's a choice between taking the 4th WR off the board or the 20th RB, I tend to go with the former since the pickings are probably slim at the RB position.

However if that 20th RB is someone who I felt deserved to taken higher and he fell to me, I may take him over other positions depending on circumstances. It's a decent article, but at the same time it's just as bad as articles that say "you have to draft two RBs right away". It's espousing an inflexible draft strategy and I don't agree with that. You have to examine your pick on a round by round basis. Just because 6 RBs have gone off the board doesn't mean it's not a good idea to take RB #7.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby deftdelivery » Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:48 pm

While I appreciate the interesting concept, I can't say I agree. Yes, go against the grain, follow your own path, march to the beat of your own drum YADA YADA...but let's face it. You don't want to be the only guy stuck with 2 dismal RB's as your starters. You can have a stacked QB, WR, and TE. But like Cornbread mentioned, there is little difference between QB's this year. As you end up with Manning, the very next man gets Culepper. As you get Moss, the very next man gets Harrison. As they draft Holmes, LT2, McAllister, Portis, SA, Edge, Williams, etc you draft Tiki Barber and Lee Suggs :-o :-o :-o

Fantastic, you got a solid team EXCEPT your backs...the one position with a lot of difficulty in coming up with studs. You'd end up trading away those great WR's to make up for the dissappointment you'd have at RB. Then there'd be no point in "doing the opposite" :-[

But interesting concept
[url=http://www.studio-seraph.com/forums]Image[/url]
YOUR movie resource - sign up at the forums

[color=green]PS I'll find my frog[/color]
deftdelivery
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BigMusky » Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:10 pm

I did that last year and got DEMOLISHED. I had Garner and Dillon has my backs, which I picked up in the 3rd and 4th round. It did not help that McNabb and Owens were my first two picks. Having lived through the hell of this I can tell you why to always draft a good running back first:

No One will ever trade their top running back without getting one in return (unless you give them an ungoddly deal of Moss and Manning or something comparable). So if you do not have one on your roster, you will never get one!
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby portisfan24 » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:20 pm

i would only do this in certain situations. if i had a late pick id take moss then get cpepp on the way down. but if you have an early pick how could u pass on a portis or mcallistar?
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Great Gambini » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:46 pm

Good points by all. The tough part about passing on RBs is, once you do, you really can't turn back. Once you pass up and RB in the first two rounds, you really can't recover and end up with great RBs. With WRs, there will still be some solid ones in the 6th. But the RB pickings are run thin in the first two and a half rounds. So, while you will feel good at the time you are taking the best WR/QBs, afterwards, you'll be kicking yourself for not taking a RB.

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk