election predictor - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

election predictor

Moderator: Football Moderators

election predictor

Postby TTTBone » Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:21 pm

Here's a nice site that tracks the upcoming presidential election, based on the electoral college and the most recent state by state polls: Electoral Vote Predictor
Portions of the site have a Kerry bias, but the actual poll data used to come up with the daily tally is rock solid and unbiased.
Note: For informational purposes only, let's try to keep the partisan ranting to a minimum.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Flockers » Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:57 pm

I see the Kerry/Edwards and Bush/Cheney ticket, but where's the ticket that matters?

I'm talking about the Sharpton/Ventura ticket! B-)
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby Nfl Fan » Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:23 pm

Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby TTTBone » Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:46 pm

Nfl Fan wrote:Did you ever see this from 2000?

http://www.allianceforamerica.org/counties_won.htm

...and here's the federal government's official tally of the actual vote count.
Too bad we don't elect by counties or actual popular vote, but rather electoral college.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Flux » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:04 am

All I have to say is that you have to play by the rules of the game. At this point I dont know who Im going to vote for, but how candidates go about trying to get votes, and where they visit is completely dependent upon how the electoral college is set up

Gore basically knew he couldnt win certain states, and Bush knew he couldnt win certain states, so why would they waste time trying to convince a few voters who wont sway the state to vote for them?

Generally certain states vote certain ways no matter who is running. The candidates just try and get swing states that are more neutral.

Its pretty stupid, b/c really not everyones vote actually counts. I think a lot more people would actually vote if it went by the popular vote. Why go vote if you already know that your state is going to have a huge majority for one candidate or another? Lame
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Homeless » Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:03 pm

TTTBone wrote: here's the federal government's official tally of the actual vote count.
Too bad we don't elect by counties or actual popular vote, but rather electoral college.

Earl F. Dodge (Prohibition) 208 votes :-o

Someone needs a hug. Either that or he needs to be treated like the HOG in another thread here :-b

Monica Moorehead (Workers World) 4,795 votes

Cant argue with Moorehead :-b
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby Carolina Culpepper » Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:38 pm

Interesting sites, guys. I actually tend to completely ignore all polling and projection data until after both parties conventions in the summer. From that point forward things get interesting. One thing I can almost gaurantee is that this is going to be an extremely close election again. Whoever wins is going to do so by the slimmest of margins. We are, unfortunately, a deeply divided nation that is almost perfectly split down the middle.
Carolina Culpepper
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Poobah » Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:54 pm

C-Pepp, dunno about that...

I think we have three groups. There is approximately 1/3 of the population that always vote Democrat, 1/3 that always votes Republican, and the middle portion each party chases. Now, I would agree that there are many people who have strong views in that middle portion. I include myself in that portion, and I already know who I am voting for, pending a scandal or series of nearly unfathomable magnitude, and there are people on the other side who feel the same way.

So what I need to do, to be most effective, is kidnap those people who are essentially my polar opposites, so that I truly can have the most effect come Election Day. ;-D
Poobah
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Ranker

Postby Carolina Culpepper » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:26 pm

Poobah wrote:C-Pepp, dunno about that...

I think we have three groups. There is approximately 1/3 of the population that always vote Democrat, 1/3 that always votes Republican, and the middle portion each party chases. Now, I would agree that there are many people who have strong views in that middle portion. I include myself in that portion, and I already know who I am voting for, pending a scandal or series of nearly unfathomable magnitude, and there are people on the other side who feel the same way.

So what I need to do, to be most effective, is kidnap those people who are essentially my polar opposites, so that I truly can have the most effect come Election Day. ;-D

Actually after thinking about it, I think you are right. And I like your idea of how to remedy it!!
Carolina Culpepper
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to General Talk