What round do you take Vanderjagt? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What round do you take Vanderjagt?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:35 am

SwiperNoSwiping wrote:I agree completely Mookie. But the one thing I am scared about is I want one of 4 kickers: Vandy, Wilkins, Akers, or Elam. I am nervous about all the other ones. I think these 4 can be the most consistent, and the dropoff from there is pretty substantial. Dropoff meaning that point ranges may be 40 points. With these 4 this year I think you can be more accurate on forecasting how many points each will produce. While I may not draft Vanderjagt since he will be the first one gone and taken way too early, I would go after one of these other guys before they fall off the board. The other thing to note is I don't recall the last time a kicker was the best kicker and scored the most points in consecutive years.

ALL kickers are inconsistent. I made a big long post about this a while back, I believe the numbers were like only twice in the last 5 years has a kicker posted back to back top 5 seasons, and up around 90% of the time a top 5 kicker one year dropped out of the top 15 the next year.

In case you're wondering, if I recall, I believe Vandy was the #17 kicker in 2002 and Wilkins was around #25. Nice consistentcy.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:41 am

I will gladly take either Feely, Nedney, or Elling in the last rd this yr if none of the top Ks are available.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby hartlbb » Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:26 am

It's ridiculous to take a kicker anywhere except for the 9th and 10th rounds of a ten tound draft. I might even say that prior to the 10th it's silly. I saw somebody once take Sebastion Janikowski in the 8th round of a 14 round draft!
Go Hawks!

P. Manning
Deuce McCallister
Michael Bennett
Chad Johnson
Anquan Boldin
Boo Williams
Jeff Wilkins
hartlbb
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby 34=Sweetness » Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:19 am

Ha I have that beat! I was in one of the TSN mock drafts, and the guy put all the kickers and D on his watch list and left the draft. It was like 1st round Vandy, 2nd round wilkins, 3rd round NE Defense, 4th round Akers, 5th round baltimore, 6th round elam, 7th round Vinateri, 8th round Dallas, 9th round Miami, 10th round Longwell. It was hilarious. On topic, I wouldn't take Vandy or any other kicker until the 2nd to last round; too inconsistent and dont put up enough points.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby GB Packer Fan 2004 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:45 pm

I won't draft Vandy until the second to last round, but somoen else will take him earlier. Last year was my first year at Fatnasy Football and I drafted Martin Gramatica earlier than I should have. I overvauled Kickers too much at that time. I was lucky enough to find Jeff Wilkins on the FA list and I made the change. wilkins ended up being the top fantasy Kicker and helped my team a lot. (should of won my league, but I got sccrwed by Yahoo's tie braking Policies in the Semi-finals.)

The point is Kickers are so damn inconsistent and their is no point of drafting them really. You can find decent ones from the FA list.
GB Packer Fan 2004
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:51 pm

Yeah - Wilkins was an easy pick last yr. I took him in the last rd of pretty much every league I was in - that was a gimmie.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:06 pm

Free Bagel wrote:

ALL kickers are inconsistent. I made a big long post about this a while back, I believe the numbers were like only twice in the last 5 years has a kicker posted back to back top 5 seasons, and up around 90% of the time a top 5 kicker one year dropped out of the top 15 the next year.

---

I would agree that Vanderjagt and Wilkins had exceptional years, and not very good the year before. However, Elam has has 124, 120, and 120 the last 3. I would say there is some consistency, and your statement that ALL kickers are inconsistent is false.

All I am is saying I wouldn't start the run on kickers, let someone else do that. Just be prepared that you don't miss out. You may get stuck with ones you don't really want.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:10 pm

I think Elams value changes considerably this yr due to the offensive and defensive overhaul in DEN this yr. Mybe it will balance itself out, but be careful with Elam this yr.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:12 pm

SwiperNoSwiping wrote:All I am is saying I wouldn't start the run on kickers, let someone else do that. Just be prepared that you don't miss out. You may get stuck with ones you don't really want.

Yeah, like Jeff Wilkins last year. Or Jay Feely in 2002...
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:26 pm

That might be true Bagel, but at the same time you may get the Feely of 2004 with 89 points, or the Wilkins of 2002 with 94 by using that strategy
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk