First year of fantasy football. Any good strategies? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

First year of fantasy football. Any good strategies?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby steelerfan04 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:03 pm

Like Kensat30 said, dont draft a QB in the first round! Trust me, I did last year and my season didnt turn out so good. There will be plenty of talent available later on in rounds 7-11. Dont be afraid to take Culpepper or Manning in the late 2nd/3rd round, but otherwise stick to RBs and WRs.

Also, make sure you know you leagues scoring system before drafting. For instance, my league gives points for receptions, making LT more valuable than Holmes. [/u]
steelerfan04
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Trot Nixon » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:40 am

This is also going to be my first real year of playing fantasy football, I've done yahoo leagues in the past but that doesn't really count. Can someone explain to me way you want to pick RB's and WR's in the first couple rounds? Peyton Manning HAS to be more valuable in a keeper league than a late 2nd rounder. What's the deal with this?
Trot Nixon
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:46 am

Trot Nixon wrote:This is also going to be my first real year of playing fantasy football, I've done yahoo leagues in the past but that doesn't really count. Can someone explain to me way you want to pick RB's and WR's in the first couple rounds? Peyton Manning HAS to be more valuable in a keeper league than a late 2nd rounder. What's the deal with this?

Position Scarcity.

It doesnt matter that QBs score more - all QBs score more, so the 10th best QB is still good, and he can be had in the 6th rd. The problem is that there are so few premier RBs in the league that they become extremely valuable.

This is simply a rule brought on by the Value Based Draft strategy.

Oops - forgot to mention WRs. The Elite WRs are verry valuable because of the dropoff after them - thats why the top 4 will go in the first 2 rds. Their is a huge group of young, talented WRs that could break out, so after the top couple teirs, there should be no rush to go after WRs.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Guinness13 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:41 pm

Go with a STUD RB in the first round and the best WR available in the 2nd ;-D
10 to 1 it is Guinness Time!!
Guinness13
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby BGbootha » Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:32 pm

I know i am not going to make any friends here with this but, having come from Fantasy Baseball to football myself. I would have to say that you should be OK.

There is a lot less to worry about or think about when it comes to football. (IMO)

If you are successful at Fantasy Baseball, you will be successful at Fantasy Football. I have no doubts.

;-D
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Teaching is the Greatest Job in the World!!! (during the Summer)

Postby Trot Nixon » Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:48 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Position Scarcity.

It doesnt matter that QBs score more - all QBs score more, so the 10th best QB is still good, and he can be had in the 6th rd. The problem is that there are so few premier RBs in the league that they become extremely valuable.

This is simply a rule brought on by the Value Based Draft strategy.

Oops - forgot to mention WRs. The Elite WRs are verry valuable because of the dropoff after them - thats why the top 4 will go in the first 2 rds. Their is a huge group of young, talented WRs that could break out, so after the top couple teirs, there should be no rush to go after WRs.
Thank you very much for explaining this to me. Now I finally get it, thanks again
Trot Nixon
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Chopper » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:04 pm

KingGhidra wrote:Don't listen to what coaches say.

Good advice. Especially when it's Mike Tice! He will screw you!

oostan wrote:Don't let it own you.
Yeah. Right. Good luck.
“The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game. They just ran out of time.”
Vince Lombardi
Chopper
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk