Experts thoughts on these 3 players - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Experts thoughts on these 3 players

Moderator: Football Moderators

Experts thoughts on these 3 players

Postby Bag » Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:20 am

I am in a keeper Auction league, I am keeping these 3, among others, what should I expect from them?

Tyrone Calico
Rex Grossman
Justin Fargas
Bag
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Juke » Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:12 am

Of the three, I like the upside on Fargas. Coming out of USC, he was on nice grab for the Raiders. The RB position is in the air for the men in black, and Fargas could surprise and steal the show. One thing we do know, is that Norv Turner LOVES TO RUN THE BALL. Ricky Williams and Stephen Davis will tell you all about it.
Juke
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:24 am

Well, between Calico and Bennett - either one will breakout, or they both will split passes this yr. Ive heard solid arguments for both.

Grossman might be better than expected. CHI has a new offensive minded coach, a better OLine, and some nice sleeper candidates at the skill positions. I wouldnt be too high on Rex, but I could see him suprising a lot of fantasy players this yr.

Ive never thought Fargas could handle fulltime duties in the NFL. He has looked good in very limited action, but I remember him pre USC. His knee is basically held together with ducktape and gum. I would say he easily has more hype going for him than his actual value - a great candidate to trade away if you have any takers.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby bungle613 » Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:55 am

Yeah... ranking in order of howI would take them... Calico, Grossman then Fargas.

Calico has the most talent of the 3 and should do well longterm inthe NFL. Just need to get the playing time and will give Bennett a run for the #2 spot this year.

Grossman.. I know a BEars QB. BUt not that bad. Has won the starting spot so at least you know he will be on the field every week. What he can do... I don't know.

Fargas...avoid. The guy will never play as a starter for the Raids. May go somewhere else but he ain't the style of RB that the raids are using these days. Bench warmer for the most part filling a specialized roll.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby pttwo » Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:35 pm

I'm by no means an expert but I'll give my thoughts on these guys.

Calico: Stands the best chance of the 3 of having a big year in 2004. Could win the no. 2 spot from Bennett, and has the talent to be a top 10 receiver down the road.

Grossman: Has the starting job but is nothing to be excited about this year. QB takes a long time to learn and Chicago has a history of disappointment at the position. It stands to reason that at least 1 or 2 of the young QBs currently starting will turn into fantasy studs down the road, but I don't know anything that makes Rex stand out.

Fargas: If this kid was so impressive, then why bring in all the old codgers for him to compete with? RBs tend to make or break it in the NFL within a few seasons, and this guy doesn't seem to have impressed the Oakland personnel department.
pttwo
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby NittanyLions » Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:52 pm

Fargas-I think he has the talent, but Im afraid Al wont let him get the nod. Due to his lack of opportunity, I would stay away for now.

Calico-Bennett is gonna be there to shove him to 3rd WR again, but I think he has huge potential in the future, but I still dont look for huge nimbers this year.

Gardner-Coles willl be #1 and McCants will get his throws, but I think he could be a major sleeper as the #2 WR in WAS. I personally am not overally imporessed by him, but who knows with a change of scenary
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Franchise Fan » Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:14 pm

i agree with nittany, except for his part about gardener... am i missing something? i thought it was rex grossman we were talking about? well anyway dont get your hopes up on him, but hey, anything can happen.
Franchise Fan
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

CafeholicGraphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:39 pm

Calico
Grossman
Fargas

Even if Calico remains the #3 WR in Tennessee, he has the chance to put up some good numbers. He will basically be filling the role that McCareins had last year as the deep threat. He could easily post 7-8 TD's, and get around 700-800 yards. Possibly more if he gets the #2 role.

Rex Grossman was a damn good college QB, and the Rams' style offense that Lovie Smith will incorporate will definitely give Grossman his share of opportunities to produce. Unfortunately he has no one to throw to but Booker right now, unless David Terrell or Justin Gage step it up.

Justin Fargas is the darkhorse here. If he actually won the starting job, he could put up some decent numbers. But the fact is, there are just too many running backs in the stable, and Fargas would most definitely be pulled in short yardage and goal-line situations. If there weren't a bazillion running backs in Oakland, Fargas might top the list.
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Experts thoughts on these 3 players

Postby Canacuna » Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:28 pm

Bag wrote:I am in a keeper Auction league, I am keeping these 3, among others, what should I expect from them?

Tyrone Calico
Rex Grossman
Justin Fargas

Tyrone Calico has the potential to be absolutely HUGE in the NFL. He just needs to work on a few things and he will be a stud. I think for the next year (possibly two) Drew Bennett will be the guy putting up #2 WR numbers for the Titans.

Rex Grossman looked good in his limited time as starter last year. With the high scoring offense Lovie Smith is introducing, he will at least have some opportunities to put up some strong numbers. The Bears shouldn't be confused with the Rams, though - they still suck, no matter what kind of offense they're using. ...At least there's some potential.

I don't know what to think of Justin Fargas. I just don't think he has the skill and durability to be a starting RB in the NFL - especially with Norv Turner as the coach - he likes his bruisers. IMO, Justin Fargas is a situational RB who will likely be more of a special teams kind of guy.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Gunslinger » Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:15 pm

Calico
Grossman
Fargas

I have Calico and Grossman on my dynasty roster. I'm not expecting either to start this year but am hoping for Calico to take over a starting spot in a year or two. I expect big things from him.

I like Grossman. I saw enough Gator games to know that he's got that intangible thing (a Favre-ish quality) of win at all costs. I'm not saying he is as good as Favre, but he could be a great QB in a couple years. I'm a little gunshy of the Bears players in general, but drafting Grossman was a step in the right direction. Acquiring Jones may have been a step back, however. But that's another thread.

The situation for Fargas is bad in Oakland. They have a logjam of RBs and he has health issues. I like his potential but it may be awhile before anyone sees what he can really do.
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk