Defenses: DAL, TB, STL, TEN - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Defenses: DAL, TB, STL, TEN

Moderator: Football Moderators

Defenses: DAL, TB, STL, TEN

Postby FootballDrummer6 » Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:01 pm

How would you rank those 4 defenses? Thanx for the help.
FootballDrummer6
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby goleafsgo96 » Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:07 pm

Fantasy-wise; in the order theyre in rite now.
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bungle613 » Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:17 pm

Bucs
Dallas
Tenn
Stl
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Franchise Fan » Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:24 pm

Rams
Solid D, probably the safest pick, thats why there at the top. however be aware that although week 15 is easy against the cards, week 16 (possibly super bowl week for fantasy) they play the eagles.

Bucs
still a pretty good defense, and expect enough int to keep your team in it. they would be below the cowboys except for the fact that they have the 30th ranked SoS. oh and another thing, if your leagues superbowl is week 17, the bucs play the cardinals. (if not its the panthers in week 16)

Dallas
Last year the cowboys let up the second least points against with 16.3 ppg scored against them. Only New England had lower. Cowboys also had 2 Defensive touchdowns last year and although that is the worst of the group, the cowboys only improved their d this off season, now with wiley they are poised for another good season. also the cowboys have the easiest scedule in the league. that should help.
except, you might not want them in the playoffs as week 15 + 16 + 17 they play division rivals eagles skins giants, in that order.

Titans
still not a bad D, i just dont think they are better than the previous three, also look around playoff time again and they play Cheifs(week 14) raiders(week 15) and broncos(week 16) Not that hard,(unless your playoffs start in week 14) but not that easy either.
Franchise Fan
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

CafeholicGraphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:38 pm

Rams
Bucs
Titans
Cowboys

Me being a Cowboys fan, I hate to rank them at the bottom, but here's my thoughts.

The Rams were just outstanding at forcing turnovers. The only key contributor they lost was Grant Wistrom, who has a good motor, but was never really a sack artist. They have a playmaking secondary with Aeneas WIlliams and Adam Archuleta, and Leonard Little is still hell-on-wheels (even though he's a piece of $hit as a person). The Rams have young defensive tackles and if they continue to improve, the front four could be a good one.

The Buccaneers. Losing Sapp hurts, but probably not as much as people think. Sapp hasn't been a big sack producer in a long time. Part of that could be because teams were doubling him and part of that could be because he just doesn't have it anymore. Losing Lynch also hurts, as he was the QB of the secondary. They still have McFarland, Simeon Rice and Derrick Brooks, which are their three main contributors. They also added Ian Gold via free agency. Still a solid D as long as Rice, Brooks and McFarland are around, but losing Sapp and Lynch has to hurt some.

The Titans. They lost two starters on the D-line. However, Kearse only had 7 sacks last year and those 7 sacks shouldn't really be that hard to replace. They drafted DE's Travis LaBoy and Antwaan Odom, who were good college players, and should ease the loss of Kearse. They also drafted DT Randy Starks, who is a good pass rushing DT. They still have playmakers like Keith Bulluck and Samari Rolle, and did a good job intercepting the ball.

The Cowboys. Don't get me wrong, I feel that the Cowboys have the best NFL defense in the league. But on the fantasy stat sheet, it doesn't show up as well. The only two things that changed on the NFL's #1 ranked defense is that they lost CB Mario Edwards, and they added DE Marcellus Wiley. Dallas finished the season with 34 sacks, which is ok, but nothing spectacular. The addition of Wiley should help, but I wouldn't expect Dallas to reach 40 sacks this year because of him. The loss of Mario Edwards is big, but Pete Hunter will replace him and has better measurables, he just doesn't have the experience. The real key to the Dallas defense will be if Terence Newman really steps up and becomes a top 5 cornerback in the league. Dallas only finished with 13 interceptions last year, which is why I can't rank them above the other defenses in this short list.
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby portisfan24 » Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:44 pm

fantasy wise id say the rams are the top. the cowboys are probably the best D of the group but second for fantasy. I'd take the bucs over the titans because losing kearse and robaire smith will hurt more then just losing warren sapp.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:28 pm

bagobonez wrote:

The Rams were just outstanding at forcing turnovers. The only key contributor they lost was Grant Wistrom, who has a good motor, but was never really a sack artist.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Ram's also lose their defensive coordinator last season? Last time I checked that's a pretty important piece to the puzzle.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby IRON CHEF » Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:00 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Ram's also lose their defensive coordinator last season? Last time I checked that's a pretty important piece to the puzzle.

Yeah, as a rams fan I have to say that Lovie Smith was pretty important to their sucess. With that said, I don't think they will be very bad regardless. They have a good core of playmakers who make up a solid team.

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Flux » Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:07 pm

DAL - should continue to blitz like some mofo's and they may actually have some sort of an offense this year

TEN - Lost Kearse

TB - the loss of Lynch and Sapp dont help them

STL - Lovie is gone as mentioned, Little most likely will see some sort of suspension, and they lost Winstrom. Doesnt look to good
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:29 pm

Kensat30 wrote:
bagobonez wrote:

The Rams were just outstanding at forcing turnovers. The only key contributor they lost was Grant Wistrom, who has a good motor, but was never really a sack artist.

Yes it is. How did I make that oversight? And I call myself a guru. Shame on me.
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk