Mind Games - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Mind Games

Moderator: Football Moderators

Mind Games

Postby aussieboy » Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:37 am

I'm interested to know what sort of mind games/tricks people use in their leagues either for fun or seriously.

A good ol' trick a guy in my league last yr did sometimes was to pick up an oppositions backup player just before the start of a game. It sent some of the guys into a real panic before the start of a game and on one instance one of the members actually benched Portis because he thought he was injured cos one of the owners picked up Qtip as a joke.

Anyone got any interesting stories/ideas that can create some havoc during the season?
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby roninmedia » Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:12 am

I don't use any mind tricks. I merely go into my draft using two cheat sheets. I use the cheat sheet that is the average ranking of the players in drafts and I cheat sheet i compile myself. I try to draft using consensus rankings and trading those players for the ones I want (on my personal list).
roninmedia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Mind Games

Postby ajgnydc722 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:24 am

aussieboy wrote:A good ol' trick a guy in my league last yr did sometimes was to pick up an oppositions backup player just before the start of a game. It sent some of the guys into a real panic before the start of a game and on one instance one of the members actually benched Portis because he thought he was injured cos one of the owners picked up Qtip as a joke.

That's hiliarous... :-b ;-D
New York Yankees: 2005 Offseason
Dallas Cowboys: 5-8
PrimeTime(baseball): FB Champion
PrimeTime (football): 10-4
ajgnydc722
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:49 am

ajgnydc722 wrote:
aussieboy wrote:A good ol' trick a guy in my league last yr did sometimes was to pick up an oppositions backup player just before the start of a game. It sent some of the guys into a real panic before the start of a game and on one instance one of the members actually benched Portis because he thought he was injured cos one of the owners picked up Qtip as a joke.

That's hiliarous... :-b ;-D

What an idiot. If you're going to pay attention enough to bench people, at least watch the pregame show! They normally will tell you who is in and who is out.

I thought you meant like trash talking...I know that is rampant in fantasy football. It's not for me; I let my team do the talking for me most weeks and let the loser cry about how someone on their team busted which "allowed" me to win. :-)
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby FeArMeNtL » Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:21 am

aussieboy wrote:I'm interested to know what sort of mind games/tricks people use in their leagues either for fun or seriously.

A good ol' trick a guy in my league last yr did sometimes was to pick up an oppositions backup player just before the start of a game. It sent some of the guys into a real panic before the start of a game and on one instance one of the members actually benched Portis because he thought he was injured cos one of the owners picked up Qtip as a joke.

Anyone got any interesting stories/ideas that can create some havoc during the season?

I couldn't do that because it cost to pick people up buy halarious how the guy benched Portis ha ;-D
[img]http://mywebpage.netscape.com/mercerboy3/fearmesig.jpg [img]
The tandem of Chad Johnson and Rudi Johnson, plus a new defense,Marvin Lewis,Palmer=Dynasty
FeArMeNtL
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby portisfan24 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:15 pm

before the season started a guy in my league picked up ricky williams from indy and tried to pass him off as miami's ricky and proposed a trade with him. i think it almost worked
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:23 pm

Ive tried the Jedi mind trick during a draft. Tried to get the guy to say "Gary". Instead he repealed my mental attack and picked Tiki instead. I guess it worked out anyway.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:38 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Ive tried the Jedi mind trick during a draft. Tried to get the guy to say "Gary". Instead he repealed my mental attack and picked Tiki instead. I guess it worked out anyway.

Was this an Internet draft? I have noticed my Jedi mind control powers work better in person. :-b
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk