scoring return TDs?? Player or def/ST??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

scoring return TDs?? Player or def/ST???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Who should get Return TDs

Player
14%
Team Def
86%

Total votes : 21

scoring return TDs?? Player or def/ST???

Postby Paladyr » Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:09 pm

This has been brought up in the league I am in. What does everything think is better, giving return TDs to the player or returned it or giving it to the team defense???
Paladyr
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Homeless » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:12 pm

I like it to be the team, it covers more bases that way ;-D
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:58 pm

I don't get this. There are THREE "teams" in football: offense, defense, and SPECIAL TEAMS. Why do people include kick returns as a part of defense, IT'S NOT DEFENSE.

Points to the players, period.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:08 pm

By rights it really should be the player's points. All the special teamers do is block...the return man has to find the seam and break it all the way.

Do they give points to an "offense" when a RB goes for a 75 yard TD? He basically did the same thing as a KR...Since RB's get the points for TD's, KR's should get the points and not the defense.

That said, it's nice to have a defense with a good KR team like Carolina has! Free points! ;-D
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby 34=Sweetness » Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:13 pm

If the players get the return TDs, its pretty much a useless stat. I dont think anybody is going to draft a #4 bench reciever or #3 RB just because they may get 2 TDs this year. What a waste. Dante Hall came 1 away from breaking the record and got 4 TDs on returns. Wow, 4 TDs? And thats at best. A lot of the kick returners are also D players, and in a regular non IDP league, are undraftable. If you want to do kick return individual players, have fun. Maybe 2-3 will be drafted and it will also make Team Ds a lot weaker. With IDP, kick return for the player is fine.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Football Newbie » Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:32 pm

TD's for players is great, players like santanna moss and westbrook at additional value last year. I dont want yards to be calculated, but TD's are fine.
Football Newbie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby allstarqb » Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:34 pm

I think it should go to the defense, because most of the time you are drafting the defense/special teams. I also agree with sweetness that it would be a useless stat, because you're not going to make Dante Hall a starting reciever just because he scores return TD's. It was also supposed to add to Westbrook's value that he will be relieved of his return duties this year.
allstarqb
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby rhsrizzo » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:07 pm

You don't draft either IDPs or Defenses, you draft IDPs or Defense/Special Teams. People forget to include the Special Teams part, but that's what it is.
rhsrizzo
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Lushcrush » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:27 pm

Free Bagel wrote:I don't get this. There are THREE "teams" in football: offense, defense, and SPECIAL TEAMS. Why do people include kick returns as a part of defense, IT'S NOT DEFENSE.
Points to the players, period.

Good point. But ... I prefer using the designation of D/ST which covers change of possesions of all types. Punt and kickoff returns aren't offense, or defense, they are change of possession plays. I favor using the D/ST tag to add a little spice to defensive scoring. Unless you start someone like Dante Hall, who is not gonna get you many receiving points, return scoring plays are kinda wasted - nobody gets the points usually. Using the D/ST tag promotes defensive scoring and adds a little excitement.
Coming out of your chair cheering your defense > Mumbling " I should have started Dante Hall today."
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:32 pm

34=Sweetness wrote:If the players get the return TDs, its pretty much a useless stat. I dont think anybody is going to draft a #4 bench reciever or #3 RB just because they may get 2 TDs this year. What a waste. Dante Hall came 1 away from breaking the record and got 4 TDs on returns. Wow, 4 TDs? And thats at best. A lot of the kick returners are also D players, and in a regular non IDP league, are undraftable. If you want to do kick return individual players, have fun. Maybe 2-3 will be drafted and it will also make Team Ds a lot weaker. With IDP, kick return for the player is fine.

Actually, myself and another owner drafted Steve Smith and Santana Moss last year b/c they have the added threat of returning kicks going for them. Worked out fairly nicely in a dynasty league.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk