More Manning is a Jerk News - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

More Manning is a Jerk News

Moderator: Football Moderators

More Manning is a Jerk News

Postby CC » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:16 pm

Profootballtalk.com wrote:PEYTON DISSES JAKE

The Manning Passing Academy proceeded this year without any NFL quarterbacks not named "Manning." It was a departure from past seasons, in which guys like Jake Delhomme, Patrick Ramsey and Kelly Holcombe participated.

"We're kind of disappointed Jake couldn't come back," Peyton Manning told the New Orleans Times-Picayune on Friday. "He tried to charge us an appearance fee now that he's gotten so big-time."

Hmmm. Delhomme and his back-loaded contract worth less than the total value of Peyton's signing bonus is now "big time"?

Even more surprising is the fact that Peyton gave us all a rare glimpse behind that Gomer Pyle/Herman Munster facade -- and that the national media hasn't picked up on the remark. Even the Times-Picayune buried the comment deep within its Sunday NFL report.

Then again, the media is nearly as infatuated with Peyton as they are with John Edwards, and we suspect that no one who gets paid to do this for a living will go out of their way to say/write anything that will expose the golden boy of football for the phony that he truly is.

Maybe other NFL quarterbacks don't come to the Manning Passing Academy because they've figured out that Peyton and Eli are a couple of jerks with no regard for their teammates or anything other than stuffing their pockets with money.

And maybe Peyton is feeling a bit envious of the success that Delhomme's team enjoyed last season -- especially since the Colts will be hard-pressed to maintain a solid supporting cast while Manning is filling his face with salary cap pie.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:22 pm

haters.

Is this really news?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:56 pm

Gimme a break, this is a joke. He said that he was dissappointed he couldn't come back, where I come from that's a compliment.

No where did Peyton mention Delhomme's contract as the columnist mentions, being "big time" doesn't mean you're paid the most. Delhomme led his team to the Super Bowl and his name is now known by billions of people around the world. I would consider that "big time," especially considering that before that only people that played Madden with the Saints, and had cut him, knew who he was.

Looks to me like this columnist is just another disgruntled writer that missed out on his promotion and is trying to take it out on someone rich.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:18 pm

I hope no one takes the article seriously.

The site says that it is devoted to news and entertainment. I think that this is more on the entertainment side.

btw - I do not see how Manning is getting dumped on for his contract. I see this as spill over from the Eli/Archie stupidity and Peyton is guilty by association.

The NFL has a hard cap and each team pays a lot of money to professionals to "manage" the cap. If they screw up their cap management then their team will suck and you blame the management, not the players.

To blame the player is laughable IMO. He has a short career, he gets what he can before he is crippled. What ever he gets he is making money for the team - he is a personality and a star and one of a select group of players that actually make a difference at the gate.

IF the team cannot sign some of its players you should blame the collective bargaining agreement and the team management. This is something that the NFL gave up in order to get financial stability and parity in the league - I think that it works (it sure beats the system in baseball).

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:36 pm

Don't the profits of this academy go to area schools, Special Olympics and charities? Delhomme just hit his payday and it's funny the article doesn't mention him trying to milk his new fame for some extra bucks but it accuses Peyton and Eli of being money-hungry.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby portisfan24 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:39 pm

haha thats what i was thinking too. delhomme charging an appearance fee for a kids camp? thats pretty low.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:41 pm

This was a joke, calm down guys.

But I don't think it was a joke on the site.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:08 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:This was a joke, calm down guys.

But I don't think it was a joke on the site.

The article definitely comes across as written by somebody with an agenda. :-)
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby 34=Sweetness » Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:14 pm

The only jerk here is Delhomme for not doing a charity event to teach kids how to throw a football. Hey Jake, newsflash. Your not one of the greatest QBs of all time.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:20 pm

Who says that the profits go to charity?
That's news to me.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Football Talk