Free Agency - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Free Agency

Moderator: Football Moderators

Free Agency

Postby hartlbb » Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:17 pm

THere is always a lot of talk about how important the draft it. But when it comes down to it, you win the season with your free agency pickups. During one of my championship years I benched Jimmy Smith for a hot Washington Redskin WR in the championship game. I can't remember his name, but he got me something like 8 points and Jimmy Smith got 0. I had picked that Redskin receiver up a couple weeks prior.

THe question is, what are your guys techniques in free agency. I have done all of the sins. Held onto players too long (Culpepper in one of his slump years), got rid of them too quick (I drafted Priest Holmes and dropped him when he got benched his first year in KC), and made some good moves (Travis Henry, Bennett, etc). How do you guys decide to drop or pick somebody up. I think that this is vital to a successful fantasy football season.

P. Manning
Deuce McCallister
Michael Bennett
Chad Johnson
Anquan Boldin
Boo Williams
Jeff Wilkins
Go Hawks!

P. Manning
Deuce McCallister
Michael Bennett
Chad Johnson
Anquan Boldin
Boo Williams
Jeff Wilkins
hartlbb
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby 34=Sweetness » Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:19 pm

Since Im usually 4-5 deep at WR and RB, I usually drop my worst performer there and pick up the hot hand. Im guessing that list is your roster.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby hartlbb » Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:21 pm

Yeah it's my roster. I am trying to trade some draft picks and Bennett for another stud RB, but we will see.
Go Hawks!

P. Manning
Deuce McCallister
Michael Bennett
Chad Johnson
Anquan Boldin
Boo Williams
Jeff Wilkins
hartlbb
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby allstarqb » Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:40 pm

I generally do not like to drop my starters and go with the hot hand, which is good sometimes and bad other times. Last year I held on to Donald Driver way too long, but other times the "hot hand" cooled off in a few weeks, and my original player turned out better. That doesn't mean I don't use free agency, but barring injury/horrible performances I like to trust the starters I draft.
allstarqb
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby rhsrizzo » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:05 pm

I'm going to have to agree with 34=Sweetness. I usually have enough WRs and RBs that I can easily get rid of one for a HOT free agent at any moment.
rhsrizzo
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby portisfan24 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:01 pm

sometimes if my def is struggling i'll pick one up each week based on the offense they r playing. i have also done this with kickers in the past. i think free agency is important. if you keep a guy in there too long based soley on reputation(eric moulds last year) it can cost you.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk