marvin vs. to - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

marvin vs. to

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby KingGhidra » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:57 pm

TheHeat24 wrote:... all of those guys give you the yac that harrison doesnt so I dont think Marvin is the best receiver in the league at all...

Harrison doesn't get the YAC because he is in the endzone so much.

:-b :-b
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CC » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:57 pm

I don't deny Moulds is a great receiver, I really like Moulds but he's a little inconsistent for my liking.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby loves_guitar » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:09 am

I, like most everyone else, would take Harrison.

BUT, do take into consideration, McNabb may be looking to T.O. a lot this season because he's like a kid with a new toy. Finally some production in Philly.
Plus, the Colts are starting to spread the ball around, especially to R. Wayne last season, so Harrison's numbers may be less this season from past seasons.

All that said, Marvin is still the better receiver.
Anything can happen on any given Sunday.
loves_guitar
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Philly Phantom » Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:11 am

The last time Donovan McNabb played with a great WR it was his Freshman year at Syracuse. Guess who that was......? Marvin Harrison! 56 Rec/1131 Yds/20.2 Avg/8 TD's in 11 games. The next highest receiver had 19 catches. Granted he has more weapons and experience, but he didn't stump for a go-to-guy in the offseason only to throw him 65 passes. Judging by the infrequency with which the Eagles run the ball, I look for T.O to be up around 80-90 catches. We all know what he can do after he catches it. We'll find out pretty quickly what kind of year T.O. is going to have when they play the Giants on opening night. Division game against a team whose CB's are average at best. If he doesn't post a 100 yard game with a TD or two, it's going to be a long season for T.O. owners. Also, don't pay the pre-season any mind if you're watching T.O. While Randy Moss lights up preseason, Andy Reid always keeps the Philly pre-season offense in vanilla mode.
I may be a Bengals fan (since '81), but I know my Football.
Philly Phantom Beginner
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Shader » Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:17 am

Marvin Harrison is heading down. He was the 5th-rated wr last year, and his numbers were WAY down from the year before. But the Colts were more dangerous than ever before. And with a healthy Dallas Clark and an improving surrounding cast, Peyton is sure to spread the ball around even more.

Harrison is way too boom or bust for me. He had alot of games where he disappeared last year. I think you can wait two rounds and get a wr who will put up very similar numbers to Harrison.
Shader
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:40 am

Very few WRs can be counted on to post 1500+ yards and 10+ TDs in any year. Harrison puts up these numbers virtually EVERY year. There is a reason why Harrison was the top WR taken in most drafts last year.

Also, a lot of people seem to forget that Harrison was injured for the first time in 5 years last season. His numbers took a hit ...(1272yds/10tds) if you can call it that. Harrison is still in the elite class of WRs that consistenly outperforms other top10 WRs every year.

I consider T.O. Marvin's little brother. He is also an elite WR, but he is only expected to produce about 1300+yds/10tds. You can also pencil him down for about 2 missed games per season. Owens' down season was last year coincidentally, the same as Harrison. He put up only 1100yds/9tds. He is still consistently better than other top10 WRs though, just not to the extent of Marvin Harrison.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:18 am

TheHeat24 wrote:
Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:Moulds Dib-E? Your vision is clouded brotha. Chad maybe if it wasn't just for this year, and you can't argue with taking Moss (I probably would) but the thing I don't like about Moss is that he can be a PR nightmare (although he's cleaned up his act of late).

Moulds is the most complete receiver in the NFL... He blocks well, Hes got great speed, great size and has amazing hands... Hes not necessarily a gamebreaker like Moss but he does everything extremely well.

You would think "the most complete receiver in the NFL" would be able to put up back to back 1000 yard seasons. It's not even all that large of a feat, but is something Moulds has never done in his 9 year career...
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Teck » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:12 am

You have to go with harrison all the way here. One, because of his consistancy. He's probably been the single most consistant receiver in the past 4-5 seasons. He also doesn't stir up any contraversy. You don't see marvin doing stupid stuff like pulling a sharpie out and signing a ball, or grabbing pom poms and waving them around. In foot ball, Harrison is the best reciver, followed by moss, then ward, holt, owens, johnson.. in no particular order. In the next few seasons, it will for sure change tho.. with moss being on top.. and marvin will slowly diminish :~(

In fantasy, I'd have go with moss being the best receiver
Thanks Wicked for the sig!
Teck
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby TheBigBakedBean » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:27 am

Teck wrote:You have to go with harrison all the way here. One, because of his consistancy. He's probably been the single most consistant receiver in the past 4-5 seasons. He also doesn't stir up any contraversy. You don't see marvin doing stupid stuff like pulling a sharpie out and signing a ball, or grabbing pom poms and waving them around. In foot ball, Harrison is the best reciver, followed by moss, then ward, holt, owens, johnson.. in no particular order. In the next few seasons, it will for sure change tho.. with moss being on top.. and marvin will slowly diminish :~(

In fantasy, I'd have go with moss being the best receiver

For the past 3 seasons, I've had Moss ahead of Harrison in my fantasy cheat sheets, but Harrison will always be my favorite (non-Packer) NFL WR. As you mentioned, Harrison is a class-act individual (from what we can see from what the media feeds us, anyway) and should be respected by all. I've never seen a Harrison-bashing thread (because there's really no grounds for bashing - he's a fantasy stud year in, year out and he doesn't do anything to set anybody off), but there are plenty of Moss and TO-bashing threads.

All that being said, I'd say it's really difficult to predict what impact TO will have with Philly this year.

This is what we do know, however:

-> TO is somewhat of a crybaby - one big hit and he'll limp off the field, throw his helmet on the ground, and throw a hissy-fit.
-> The Eagles throw across the middle of the field more than most teams - therefore putting TO at risk more than he was at SF.
-> TO will celebrate a 7-yard gain like it was a game-winning touchdown - and I anticipate that Andy Reid will have a lot less patience with this kind of bullcrap than Mooch did.

Now, all that being said, I'd take Harrison over TO any day.
TheBigBakedBean
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby pttwo » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:13 pm

I'd take Harrison over TO. Not sure what I've give up if I had TO and wanted Harrison though.
pttwo
Water Boy
Water Boy

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk