TO to work out w/ McNabb this summer - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

TO to work out w/ McNabb this summer

Moderator: Football Moderators

TO to work out w/ McNabb this summer

Postby Flux » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:02 pm

THE NEWS

Eagles receiver Terrell Owens is headed to Arizona. No, he hasn't been dealt to his third team of the offseason, Owens is heading to the Copper State in order to work out with quarterback Donovan McNabb. The team's official web site reported that Owens would join his teammate sometime this week.

OUR VIEW

Owens can't complain about a lack of passes in a one-on-one workout can he? This is good news for the fantasy value of both Owens and McNabb, as it's obviously that the success of the 2004 season hinges heavily on how quickly and how well these two Pro Bowlers bond.

http://www.fanball.com/fb/index.cfm
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CC » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:05 pm

This is good news, they could be an absolutely devastating combo this year.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Franchise Fan » Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:03 pm

It could be good news, but depending on how it goes, it could be bad news. I live in South Jersey and read an artcle in the Philadelphia newspaper about McNabb and Owens at camp. Owens was complaining that he wasnt getting enough plays with the ball to him. They (the reporters, journalists, whoever) said this comment to McNabb. McNabb responded, on the lines of, Thats great, but we already have a WR who wants the ball in Freddy Mitchell. Sounds like McNabb doesnt like sharing the spotlight with owens. We will see how this "workout" goes. Id like to hear more about it.
Franchise Fan
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

CafeholicGraphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Flux » Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:09 pm

Franchise Fan wrote:It could be good news, but depending on how it goes, it could be bad news. I live in South Jersey and read an artcle in the Philadelphia newspaper about McNabb and Owens at camp. Owens was complaining that he wasnt getting enough plays with the ball to him. They (the reporters, journalists, whoever) said this comment to McNabb. McNabb responded, on the lines of, Thats great, but we already have a WR who wants the ball in Freddy Mitchell. Sounds like McNabb doesnt like sharing the spotlight with owens. We will see how this "workout" goes. Id like to hear more about it.

Maybe that was just McNabbs way of telling TO to back off b/c he wont deal w/ cry babys. There really is only room for one leader on a team, and it really needs to be the QB. If a WR tries to show him up, he better knock him right back down. He needs the whole team to believe in him, if they start questioning what he is doing, they will be in some trouble. But then again, i dont know a whole lot about the Eagles and how McNabb is perceived.

I think no matter what this is very good news for owners of both. Working on their timing and just how they each work can only help.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:55 am

i think much more of that comment was blown out of proportion.

besides the team has really needed someone who could demand the ball.

ownes has to know in this scenario his rants won't be given credence. the eagles have made the title game without his services, donovan is star probowl qb in the league, and reid has no tolernace for such things.

He looks bad as it is, but he could feasibly argue not going to him was bringing the team down. not anymore.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Trainer of Dolphins » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:38 am

I dont think TO is going to be the lightning in the bottle that everyone is expecting in Philly. He will be their best WR by far, but I dont know that Mcnabb is the kind of QB who will lock on to a WR like Peyton does for example. If he gets in trouble he doesn't dpend on a wideout he tucks that ball and runs. Plus TO dropped alot of balls last year and if he is having Tude problems already look for a dissapointing year only because expectations are through the roof. I am letting someone else overpay for him
Trainer of Dolphins
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby maddog60 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:41 pm

Trainer of Dolphins wrote:If he gets in trouble he doesn't dpend on a wideout he tucks that ball and runs.

No, that's Vick. At first McNabb had more of a tuck and year apporach, but we're talking 3-4 years ago. If you watched him last year, even during the Green Bay playoff game where he ran alot, McNabb holds the ball up and ready in his throwing arm right up until he crosses the line of scrimmage and commits fully to the run. Part of what makes him a great scrambler is that he doesn't commit to anything until he has to, keeping the defense guessing.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby TheBigBakedBean » Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:21 pm

maddog60 wrote:No, that's Vick. At first McNabb had more of a tuck and year apporach, but we're talking 3-4 years ago. If you watched him last year, even during the Green Bay playoff game where he ran alot, McNabb holds the ball up and ready in his throwing arm right up until he crosses the line of scrimmage and commits fully to the run. Part of what makes him a great scrambler is that he doesn't commit to anything until he has to, keeping the defense guessing.

To go along with what you are saying, McNabb is the best scrambling QB (yes...better than Vick) because he reads the defenses in and out and knows his options. He only ran against the Packers because a LOT of QBs have great success running against the Pack - the LBs that aren't in coverage are blitzing, not spying. McNabb has great presence and is a LOT tougher than Vick. He's not afraid to plant his feet and deliver the pass just before the hit. Vick plays as is if he's playing two-hand-touch: he tries to be as elusive as possible, but when it's inevitable that he's going to get hit, he just sits and waits for it.
TheBigBakedBean
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby ChyBoy » Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:53 pm

Working out with McNabb in Arizona during the summer really helped Charles Johnson out back in 2000. 56 Rec 642 Yds. 7 TDs. I know Owen is 10 time better than Johnson and McNabb has matured but bottom line is they win with their D and they use their RB's and TE's frequantly in the passing game and they spread the ball around to different WR. Andy Reid/ Brad Childress play calling will not allow Owens to return to his dominant fantasy status.
ChyBoy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bennett4prez » Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:56 pm

Sorry, but I don't really get how this story is special? Two teammates are working out together to build a better chemistry. A lot of players do this.
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Football Talk