What to make of Dillon? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What to make of Dillon?

Moderator: Football Moderators

What to make of Dillon?

Postby marvin88 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:44 pm

I just can't tell how he's gonna be. He was a top ten staple with cincinnati, now he's the premiere back with a superbowl team that has a killer defense and an average receiving corps. Who thinks that dillon is gonna be a workhorse and who thinks he's deteriorated physically and or the patriots would be out of their minds to change what's been working, samely spread out short pass etc...
marvin88
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football
Location: wishing i could change my name to canadian colthead.

Postby portisfan24 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:47 pm

I'd say about 1500 total yards and 9 or 10 tds. a solid number 2 IMO
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bennett4prez » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:48 pm

I have Dillon on my DO NOT DRAFT list, right after Clinton Portis. There is too much talent out there (Deuce, Ahman) and then (DD, Henry) for me to risk it on Portis or Dillon. They shuld produce very well, I just don't like risking one of my first three picks on players like that. (Although, last year, I took both Priest and Jamal). The general rule of the thumb is take the safer pick unless the injury-risks fall below value. If Portis goes to the 2nd or Dillon to the third, you better believe they will be on my roster.
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Flux » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:50 pm

Here is John Clayton's view from [url]espn.com[/url]

Thu., July 8
Will the addition of Dillon make the Pats offense more run-oriented?
Charlie Weis' game plan isn't going to change. Weis is a master of dazzling defenses with his quick-passing offense. The strength of the offense will always be Tom Brady, a 60-percent passer who plays bigger in the big games. But Dillon adds two dimensions to the offense. For one, he's a big back who can break away and dominate a game. Antowain Smith got his 16 or 17 carries, but only once averaged 4.0 yards a carry in his past four seasons. Only twice has Dillon not averaged more than four yards per carry. You can see how this should work. For three quarters, Weis will mix the pass and the run to try to get a lead. Then, in the fourth quarter, they will unleash Dillon, who can dominate plus have fresh legs. He will almost be like a closer in baseball. But Weis isn't stupid. He'll know the teams that aren't strong enough to consistently match up against Dillon's powerful running style. In those games, he'll lean more to the run. Dillon should end up being one of the five most important acquisitions of the offseason because he gives the Patriots a 1,300-yard runner to an offense that counts on 220-yards a game passing.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Paladyr » Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:27 pm

I think dillon will do well, one b/c he's on a great team and two b/c he has a chip on his shoulder for how he went down here in cinci.
Go Bengals!
'06 FF Champion!
Paladyr
General Manager
General Manager

Postby marvin88 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:29 pm

thanks for the quick feedback. [i]Bennett4Prez[/i], i wouldn't take him in the top six either but would you draft him mid second or ahead of d. davis, barlow, r. johnson, or faulk and the second tier rbs?
marvin88
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Location: wishing i could change my name to canadian colthead.

Postby Franchise Fan » Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:49 pm

I dont think the pats will change what has been working, but i do believe that dillon will capitalize on his chances much better than any pretesessor (spelling?) and that should qualify him as a good number 2 back. oh and i heard that in yahoo he is ranked 200???, i havent checked, but if that is so, and your in a yahoo league, try and pull it past someone, see if he will slip to maybe the fourth, and if he doesnt there are other backs (Julius Jones in perticular :-) )
Franchise Fan
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

CafeholicGraphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby fantasyswami » Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:51 pm

Absolutely. Mark my words - Dillon will be this year's Stephen Davis (off-season RB acquisitions that paid huge fantasy dividends).

I have him ranked higher than both Rudi Johnson, Marshall Faulk, and Travis Henry. And considering his ADP, which is roughly 18th overall, he'll be a valuable commodity as a RB2.

Remember, this is the same offense that turned Antowain Smith, and to a lesser extent Kevin Faulk, into fantasy starters. Imagine what a true pro-ball feature back could do in this same offense...
Doghouse Fantasy Football Magazine - [i]"Man's Best Friend"[/i]
fantasyswami
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby TheHeat24 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:07 pm

I think Dillon will have a very solid season prolly 1300 yds rushing and 8tds... solid for a number 2 back.

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

dillon

Postby FourthandLong » Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:30 pm

i think dillon will be legit. we know he has the talent. and antowain smith drove everyone crazy having a solid week then a trashy week back to back. dillon has proven he is consistent (with the exception of last year) and can be one of the best in the league. dont let one year cloud your vision on dillon...not couting last year he has averaged roughly 100 total yards per game(rush and rec) for his career...

i think of dillons 2003 season like freddys 2001 season...a rough year for a very good back...i'd rank him as a top #2 back
owner of the Toss to Moss aka Deuce is Loose franchise in the SFL Keeper League Season VI
FourthandLong
Water Boy
Water Boy

Next

Return to Football Talk