Kevin Jones vs. Julius Jones - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Kevin Jones vs. Julius Jones

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Ek » Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:39 pm

umm...
Walter Payton, Neal Anderson, Gayle Sayers, Bronco Nagurski, Red Grange occassionally put decent seasons together (and recently several Bears RBs have had ONE good season, we just need to find someone with a little staying power).
Ek
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheBigBakedBean » Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:46 pm

Ek wrote:umm...
Walter Payton, Neal Anderson, Gayle Sayers, Bronco Nagurski, Red Grange occassionally put decent seasons together (and recently several Bears RBs have had ONE good season, we just need to find someone with a little staying power).

OK...if "several" is now intended to be translated to mean "Anthony Thomas' rookie season"...then I'll agree. The only recent successful FANTASY season put together by a Bear RB in recent memory is the afformentioned fluke. And fluke it was. Running philosophy has not changed drastically since then, it was simply a fluke.

Flukes like that don't happen twice in a decade...so maybe in 2011 the Bears might put together a running game. But not until then!
TheBigBakedBean
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Ek » Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:03 pm

Here's the Bears RBs who put up viable fantasy stats over the past few years (yardage and Td#'s are rushing + recieving):

2003: A-Train 1060 yds./6 tds
2001: A-Train 1361 yds./7tds
2000: James Allen 1411 yds/3 tds
1997: Raymont Harris 1148 yds/10 tds
1996: Raymont Harris 1044 yds/5 tds
1995: Rashaan Salaam 1130 yds/10 tds
1994: Lewis Tillman 1121 yds/7 tds

I couldn't get fumbling #'s from that far back, but of these backs, only Salaam had a significant fumbling problem. Looks to me like the Bears have produced a back with numbers as good or better than those you could realistically project for K. Jones/J. Jones next year 7 of the last ten years.

Oh, and since your statistical knowledge needs a little brushing up, here's my source for these #'s:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com
Last edited by Ek on Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ek
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby TheRawDAWG » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:58 pm

TheBigBakedBean wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:TJones will have a better yr than both JJ and KJ.

HAHAHAHAHA! Come on, 'bread, tell us another. That one was friggin hilarious!

Oh wait...you seriously think a Bears RB will have a good year? Ha!

And you think a Cowboys or Lions RB has a better chance? What has any of their backs done lately?
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby CC » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:04 pm

Go Hambrick and Pinner! TJ is easily the best back Chicago has had in the last 5 years, plus run-blocking tackle John Tait and over-rated (but still good) Ruben Brown are gonna be paving roads for TJ this year, I am praying to get him as a #3 in most leagues.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:34 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
booda wrote:CAN WE THROW THOMAS INTO THAT DISCUSSION, SINCE HE IS A JONES??...WHO HAS THAT GUT FEELING THAT HE WILL DO WELL?

TJones will have a better yr than both JJ and KJ.

That's the main reason I would stay away from Julius, simply because he's related to that turd Thomas.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Franchise Fan » Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:27 am

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:Go Hambrick and Pinner!

What? :-/
Franchise Fan
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

CafeholicGraphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby cooleyhigh » Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:47 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
booda wrote:CAN WE THROW THOMAS INTO THAT DISCUSSION, SINCE HE IS A JONES??...WHO HAS THAT GUT FEELING THAT HE WILL DO WELL?

TJones will have a better yr than both JJ and KJ.

If you are assuming A. Thomas will get fewer than 100 carries I might agree with you. However this will not be the case... split carries. I would much rather take a risk on a potential stud (especially Julius) than a proven turd who plays for a proven loser.
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:24 am

TheBigBakedBean wrote:

Im glad I can get a laugh out of you today. Tomorow I'll be the one laughing.

Go ahead and draft your rookies. Im going to get the guy who was a top 10 draft pick in 2000, then was put in terrible situations the last 3 yrs.

As for Atrain, CHI is pretty much done with him. Lovie hand picked TJ and the Bears signed him to a 4 yr deal paying starting RB money. A new coach, bringing in a new system, an upgraded Oline, and a handpicked RB to complement the new system? The writing is on the wall fellas.

Im such a fool. hahahahaha. Stupid me for daring to take a CHI RB over inexperienced rookies either in a RBBC or being thrown to the wolves in a terrible offense.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Warpigs » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:45 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
TheBigBakedBean wrote:

Im glad I can get a laugh out of you today. Tomorow I'll be the one laughing.

Go ahead and draft your rookies. Im going to get the guy who was a top 10 draft pick in 2000, then was put in terrible situations the last 3 yrs.

As for Atrain, CHI is pretty much done with him. Lovie hand picked TJ and the Bears signed him to a 4 yr deal paying starting RB money. A new coach, bringing in a new system, an upgraded Oline, and a handpicked RB to complement the new system? The writing is on the wall fellas.

Im such a fool. hahahahaha. Stupid me for daring to take a CHI RB over inexperienced rookies either in a RBBC or being thrown to the wolves in a terrible offense.

You all need to listen to Cornbread on this one. I agree totally that Thomas Jones is more primed to "break out" than any of the other Joneses. He has experience, which is key. The other guys will struggle to get into their new systems and will have to adjust to the whole new level of speed and physical play of the NFL. I have TJones ahead of JJones and KJones on my draft board -- and the neat thing is that TJones can be had AFTER both JJones and KJones in most drafts -- making him even more of a value pick.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk