Stephen Davis / DeShaun Foster - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Stephen Davis / DeShaun Foster

Moderator: Football Moderators

Does Stephen Davis warrant a Round 2 selection?

He's going to disappoint!
50%
Still a productive RB in 2004.
50%

Total votes : 28

Stephen Davis / DeShaun Foster

Postby Wolverine » Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:43 pm

In mock drafts, Stephen Davis appears to be quite an enigma so far. Sometimes going at the end of Round 1, other times at the start of Round 4 in a 12-team league. People seem scared of the situation that they may split carries. Is everyone making a bigger deal out of DeShaun thus far than necessary? I mean, his production during the regular season is what got them to the dance; while DeShaun helped them during the playoffs.

What's everyone think? Does Stephen Davis have value written all over him ;-D or is he going to be a big bust :-t ? Where are people rating him on their cheat sheets with respect to Barlow, Davis, Henry, Bennett, Westbrook?
Wolverine
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:29 pm

If the guy doesn't get hurt again this year, he should do just as good as those guys listed. That's what I'm more concerned about than him splitting carries with Foster. The Panthers love to pound the ball, but with that comes durability issues. I am scared that he won't get all the carries since Foster did quite a bit of good during the year. If you need a #2 RB at the end of the 2nd or beginning of the 3rd, Stephen Davis could be your man.

Brenston Buckner was just on Sportscenter doing Fact or Fiction...if you want to believe him, he said that Stephen Davis getting the same amount of use this year was a fact. He said Foster will be a great back someday, but Davis is in his prime and will once again carry the Panthers.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deftdelivery » Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:04 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:Brenston Buckner was just on Sportscenter doing Fact or Fiction...if you want to believe him, he said that Stephen Davis getting the same amount of use this year was a fact. He said Foster will be a great back someday, but Davis is in his prime and will once again carry the Panthers.

Yea, I saw the clip too. Take it from a Panther fan, Davis is the man right now. Foster will be a nice change of pace back and nothing more as of now. He will NOT split carries 50/50 with Stephen Davis! It's absurd how there are reports of this. Even if Davis loses carries to Foster, he is still worthy of being a #2. That offensive line is in great shape, Delhomme is improving, and Davis is still a solid back. My only question is his age, but he proved last year that it wasn't a factor B-)
[url=http://www.studio-seraph.com/forums]Image[/url]
YOUR movie resource - sign up at the forums

[color=green]PS I'll find my frog[/color]
deftdelivery
General Manager
General Manager

Postby 34=Sweetness » Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:22 pm

Im concerned about the injuries. I dont think he will start more than 11 games this year. Hes in his 30s and he takes a pounding. Foster will get more carries also because they will want to keep Davis healthy in case they get to the playoffs again. I think hes a decent #2. Id take him right at the end of round 2 or in early round 3.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:43 pm

I accidentally voted that S.D. would be a bust but I would be happy to take him late in the 2nd round. I think Foster will get his fair share of carries but Carolina runs the ball so much that S.D. will still break 1,000 yards.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Azrael » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:54 am

deftdelivery wrote:
Mercer Boy wrote: My only question is his age, but he proved last year that it wasn't a factor B-)

Be it his age or usage or both, Stephen Davis can't take a pounding like he did last year. He totally crapped out the 2nd half of the year playing in only 6 of 8 games and gaining only 100 yards once. In the 1st half of the year he averaged 124 yards a game and scored 5 TDs. In the 2nd half of the year he averaged 75 yards a game and scored 3 times. If they try to pound him like that again this year, he'll make it through about 5 games.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby CC » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:43 pm

Man I wouldn't touch Stephen Davis with a 10 foot pole until the 3rd at the earliest, and even then he would be a stretch for me. He dropped to the 6th in our Dynasty Mock Draft.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:28 pm

I would only feel comfortable using S.Davis as my #2 RB only if a bunch of other guys were gone and my #1 was solid. And I wouldn't take him in the 2nd round unless I absolutely had to.

He's a great runner no doubt, but there is no way he puts up 1400 yards again this year because of Foster. I don't think 1200 yards with mid-single digit tds is not out of reach for Davis though. Just not worth a second round pick.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Return to Football Talk