Robbins Update - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Robbins Update

Moderator: Football Moderators

Robbins Update

Postby The Sandwich » Wed Jan 29, 2003 11:45 am

There is going to be a press conference today to help explain what happened to Robbins. The buzz I have heard so far is that the reason he missed all the meetings the day before the SB is that he went off his medication for Bi-Polar disorder and headed to Tijuanna on a bender. Some fans and teammates saw him down there and two fans threw him in a cab and sent him back to the hotel. Reports are that he was sitting alone in some seedy bar muttering to himself. When he got back to the hotel the team sent him to the hospital where he was placed on a suicide watch. Sad for him if it is all true, but it also sheds some light on the Raiders performance Sunday. Apparently Robbins was not the only Raider to party it up THE NIGHT BEFORE THE BOWL. Many Raiders were reported to be out on the town well drinking it up as late as Saturday.
The Sandwich
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Guttpuppy » Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:31 pm

Robbins was selected to the Pro Bowl this year & I saw him listed at number 25 on Pro Football Weekly's list of the best players of 2002,with Jonathon Ogden being the only O-lineman to rank ahead of him at the 18th spot.I agree that one man doesn't make a team but surely a player of this caliber could have given Gannon just a little more time in the pocket.I'm not saying this would have won the game for the Raiders but they certainly didn't need that kind of distraction & Gannon was the one that suffered most.I say rescind his yearly salary and pay him the base pay that the scrubs get & I don't care what anyone says,if you're in the Bowl,stay the hell in the hotel & drink if you must,these guys should have a strict curfew with the penalty being enormous in a game of thet magnitude.I mean c'mon these guys' partying was way out of line & cost the Raiders bigtime,& don't give me any excuses about bi-polar this & medical history that.If that guy had a mental problem then the Raiders surely knew it & should have put extra lockdown on him because of it!
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Dazedncnfz » Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:11 pm

I mean c'mon these guys' partying was way out of line & cost the Raiders bigtime,& don't give me any excuses about bi-polar this & medical history that.If that guy had a mental problem then the Raiders surely knew it & should have put extra lockdown on him because of it!

I agree totaly....also if this guy had this big of a problem, shouldn't it have been addressed earlier in his life?...let alone his career....something close to this has happened before to this guy, this should have cluedthe team into what might happen if he was to go back to that troubled state of mind....as far as the rest of the team goes...shame on them...they ALL should have known better then to be hammered all weekend..sabe that for after the the big dance...not before.

T.S. - "You don't have to love me, but you will [b]RESPECT[/b] me"
Dazedncnfz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Robbins Update

Postby Homeless » Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:29 pm

The Sandwich wrote:Reports are that he was sitting alone in some seedy bar muttering to himself

Hell I do that all the time.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby JayM09 » Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:38 pm

if someone has a mental disorder, like bi-polar, then the team should make sure that someone keeps an eye on him, not necessarily babysit, but just keep tabs on him.
JayM09
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Robbins Update

Postby Guttpuppy » Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:44 pm

Homeless wrote:
The Sandwich wrote:Reports are that he was sitting alone in some seedy bar muttering to himself

Hell I do that all the time.

Me too bro...me too.Hahaha!!!LOL!
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby DUKE » Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:30 pm

I agree that the Raiders should've been more preventative about the situation w/ Robbins, and especially w/ the rest of the team. This is the freaking Super Bowl. I can't believe some of them would sacrifice something like that. But, w/ Robbins; bi-polar dissorders are an illness, and activity by some that suffer from it seems uncomprehendable to us. Sometimes w/ illnesses, you can't just get rid of them because you decide to "take care of it."
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby Guttpuppy » Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:52 pm

Well,going to Mehico & getting tanked the week before the biggest game of his life certainly didn't help his illness,it only compounded his woes!Everything is an "illness" nowadays!

Sounds like a scapegoat to me...
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby terpfan » Wed Jan 29, 2003 3:13 pm

the worse part about this i think is that the front office knew about his disease but didnt tell the players, causing them to badmouth robbins... atleast i saw that on pti.

its just an ugly situation :-P
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby hayesb26 » Wed Jan 29, 2003 5:03 pm

yeah i saw that too. i think thats why the raider teammates bashed him!?
hayesb26
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk