Robbins Update - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Robbins Update

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby DUKE » Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:40 am

Guttpuppy wrote:Well,going to Mehico & getting tanked the week before the biggest game of his life certainly didn't help his illness,it only compounded his woes!Everything is an "illness" nowadays!

Sounds like a scapegoat to me...

Maybe his poor judgement is a side-effect of his illness. You really don't know where he is, regarding his personal issues. It's easy to say that he screwed everyone, but when dealing w/ mental illness, you can' t compare w/ your own reality.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member
Home Cafe: Football

Postby kashikis » Thu Jan 30, 2003 9:20 am

I think that the blame should be placed on the team management. The whole year all we heard was how mature and experienced this dang oakland team was. And now we find out that the go out all week and get sloshed, come back and lose the game and blame it all on one guy who IF ANYONE had an excuse. I'm with Duke on this one, I know all about mental diseases. Not saying that anyone was right here but c'mon Oak you gotta keep your guys in line. If one guy has problems, simply put hes done that before so keep an eye on him because flares with most mental disorders can be directly proportionatge to stress. And obviously the SB can cause stress. We all know that one guy can't lose a game its a team effort. I had a lot of respect for Oakland but now screw them because they are the biggest crybaby's in the NFL for picking on this guy when they are the one's that screwed up!
No really, I'm not having a bad day.

What the hell.... is goin' on.... in the NFL?!
kashikis
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Guttpuppy » Thu Jan 30, 2003 11:22 am

When you are employed by an organization it is your responsibility to show up for work when you are scheduled,correct?Mental disorder or not,he is an adult who made an adult decision to (supposedly) not take his medication & to start drinking thus rendering him useless to do his job.He knows better than anyone else that he let his team down & he's got to live with that,no comparison to reality...real reality!

It's a downward spiral that he couldn't stop but he certainly started!!!The Raiders knew that he had a problem but had no way of knowing that this would happen,how are they to blame???

Callahan's Take
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby DUKE » Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:50 pm

I guess if you want to ask, "who screwed up?", then the "simple" answer would be Robbins himself, but it's very likely that the "illness" itself is the cause of "the downward spiral" and the cause of Robbins "starting" the downward spiral. Basically, he did cause his downward spiral that led to this whole mess, but people seem to downplay the effects of mental illness on people. They do things out of the ordinary because their state of mind is different than someones who is in relatively good mental health. I heard an analogy yesterday: Saying that someone with a severe mental illness should just "suck it up and get on with it," or deal with it is like telling someone with cancer to just get over it. The Raiders knew of his problems. Having him on your team is a risk you take, just like taking a guy w/ a past injury w/ the chance of that injury re-occurring. I'm not saying that it's all the fault of the Raiders, but it's part of Barrett's baggage. Yeah, he's a pro-bowl center, but is it worth it considering the risk of relapse? Obviously it wasn't in this case.
Last edited by DUKE on Thu Jan 30, 2003 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby kashikis » Thu Jan 30, 2003 1:01 pm

My main point for saying it was the Organizations fault is that it and its players are blaming the loss on this guy. Oak was too blame because it let 1/2 their team get drunk all week and it showed. Robbins is to blame for his part just not for the Raiders loss. The Raiders lost because of their egos (ironically cause TB are egomaniacs), not because of Robbins missing the game so they have no right to bash him like HE lost the SB for them.

And Duke you are right when you say people downplay mental illness. That comes from sticking everyone and their mother on prozac, ritalin, and a slew of others the hand out like pez now. 90% of these people are cry-babys and don't need that medication, but we shouldn't disclaim the ones who truely do need help. Whether Robbins is the first type or the 2nd, i dont know but until i do i wont crucify him. On the other hand if i come to learn he doesn't need the meds then bash away my friends, he's just another near winner.

kashikis
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Guttpuppy » Thu Jan 30, 2003 2:57 pm

kashikis wrote:prozac, ritalin, and a slew of others the hand out like pez now.

Can I have mine in one of those cool head dispensers?

Seriously,this sucks for everyone involved,Robbins himself,his friends,family,& his employers.I hope he's OK & can revive his promising career...
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby kashikis » Thu Jan 30, 2003 3:19 pm

Guttpuppy wrote:Seriously,this sucks for everyone involved,Robbins himself,his friends,family,& his employers.I hope he's OK & can revive his promising career...

Total agreement there Hopefully things work out for him and he gets better. This is a lose lose situation and he must make the best of it.

Good Luck to Robbins ;-D

ps
i got a Scooby pez dispenser with scooby snacks for ya Gutt
here boy.....

kashikis
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby zombiez » Thu Jan 30, 2003 6:52 pm

Im sure sitting in that locker room after the SB.....felt worse then the hangovers they were experienceing ;-)
zombiez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby SiouxCitySavages » Thu Jan 30, 2003 9:30 pm

I think that the whole situation is a cryin-shame. His teammates know just as much as we do about the illness the Robbins has. But, yet they still took to time to totally ridicule this man on national television. Some of the things that were said were way outta line. I have no respect for those who stood up infront of a mic and chose to chop this man down.

It just shows you were we stand as a society. It's easy to jump to conclusions and ridicule somebody. I guess that it is too hard to sit down and find out the problems that this man had. Why go on national television and say the things they said is beyond me. But, those words are much like the disorder he has, both are irreversable and Oakland may very well have ended a good man's career.
SiouxCitySavages
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby zombiez » Thu Jan 30, 2003 10:59 pm

yeah, the only two team mates I have heard take up for him is Gannon and Woodsen(Rod).....Gannon said he would love to have him back under center again next year......and Woodsen said enough about how this affected football.....what about the man and his family!!!!!!!!.....hats off to those two........cause when it boils down too it...its only a damn game......do you think this guys wife and kids gave a shit about the Super Bowl??????
zombiez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk