Robbins Update - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Robbins Update

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby DUKE » Fri Jan 31, 2003 9:23 am

Zombiez wrote:yeah, the only two team mates I have heard take up for him is Gannon and Woodsen(Rod).....Gannon said he would love to have him back under center again next year......and Woodsen said enough about how this affected football.....what about the man and his family!!!!!!!!.....hats off to those two........cause when it boils down too it...its only a damn game......do you think this guys wife and kids gave a shit about the Super Bowl??????

Yes, Gannon and Woodson did. Also Sam Adams said he, "still loved" Barrett and wished him the best. I'm sure there are guys on the team, like Sioux said, that were not fully aware of Robbin's problems.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dazedncnfz » Sat Feb 01, 2003 6:45 pm

2/1/03

The wife of Raiders center Barret Robbins is apparently preparing to defend her husband's name.

According to a report in The Contra Costa Times, Marisa Robbins said that she and Barret are working on a statement that is expected to be released in the next few days.

"There's a lot of bad stuff out there," Marisa told the newspaper. "Everything will get cleared up."

The Robbins' will write the statement with the help of Barret's agent, Drew Pittman.

Raiders coach Bill Callahan barred Robbins from playing in the Raiders' 48-21 loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the Super Bowl after Robbins missed a team meeting and final walk-through the day before the game. Robbins then showed up "incoherent" for a team meeting that Saturday night. Robbins has a history of depression and bipolar illness.

Shortly after the team told him he wouldn't be playing in the Super Bowl, he was admitted to a San Diego hospital, Robbins' agent Drew Pittman said. A Robbins family member said he was on a suicide watch, according to the New York Daily News.

But according to Marisa Robbins, those reports are part of cloudy circumstances surrounding the event, and she told The Contra Costa Times that she is upset about how her husband has been portrayed in the media. According to the report, she was most upset with comments made by Raiders teammates about the situation.

Left guard Mo Collins had said of Robbins, "Whatever (expletive) rock he came up from under (Saturday), he can stay there. ... I would welcome him back as a business partner but not as a brother. A brother wouldn't leave you hanging like that."

Marisa Barret told the newspaper of those types of comments: "I was so furious at how quick they were to jump on, 'Oh, he was just partying.' That showed a total lack of compassion."

T.S. - "You don't have to love me, but you will [b]RESPECT[/b] me"
Dazedncnfz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby VIPER » Sat Feb 01, 2003 7:16 pm

It's a sad situation, but u also need to look at responsibility. He's a grown man and has had a history of this. He knows he should take his meds., part of being a man is dealing with responsibility a.k.a...... taking your medicine, showing up for practice, ect.....ect.......ect....... :-/
VIPER
Benedict Arnold
Benedict Arnold

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Guttpuppy » Tue Feb 04, 2003 6:05 am

The latest news on this...

...Robbins' agent confirmed Monday that the All-Pro lineman who disappeared the night before the Super Bowl has bipolar disorder, and he expressed "remorse and deep sadness" for missing the game.

Robbins remains hospitalized because of his condition, though he has left San Diego, agent Drew Pittman told the San Francisco Chronicle.

Pittman also released a statement on behalf of Robbins.

"Barret would like to express his remorse and deep sadness for the events surrounding the Super Bowl," the statement said. "He knows many people have been hurt by his actions, including his family, his teammates, the Raider organization, the Raider Nation, and the game of football."

The statement, which also acknowledged that alcohol was a factor in Robbins' troubles, marked the first time he has commented publicly since he disappeared Jan. 25, the day before the Raiders' 48-21 Super Bowl loss to Tampa Bay in San Diego.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby terpfan » Tue Feb 04, 2003 6:33 pm

what did pittman have to say about this? do u know?

just curious...
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby FootballRulez » Wed Feb 05, 2003 4:45 am

SiouxCitySavages wrote:I think that the whole situation is a cryin-shame. His teammates know just as much as we do about the illness the Robbins has. But, yet they still took to time to totally ridicule this man on national television. Some of the things that were said were way outta line. I have no respect for those who stood up infront of a mic and chose to chop this man down.

It just shows you were we stand as a society. It's easy to jump to conclusions and ridicule somebody. I guess that it is too hard to sit down and find out the problems that this man had. Why go on national television and say the things they said is beyond me. But, those words are much like the disorder he has, both are irreversable and Oakland may very well have ended a good man's career.

Very well said Sioux. I think people in this country are just starting to realize that mental disorders are just as real as physical ones, and need to be treated as such.
FootballRulez
Water Boy
Water Boy

Previous

Return to Football Talk