Got interesting "Avoid at all costs" lists? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Got interesting "Avoid at all costs" lists?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Got interesting "Avoid at all costs" lists?

Postby TheBigBakedBean » Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:56 pm

Mine is as follows:

-> Any Falcons player
-> Fred Taylor
-> Marshall Faulk
-> Tiki Barber
-> Anquan Boldin
-> Isaac Bruce
-> Stephen Davis
-> Keenan McCardell
-> Priest Holmes (ok...not so much of an avoid...I've just concluded that I'd much rather have one of the guys just below him in most drafts...like Ahman or Deuce or Clinton)

obviously I'm talking big-name players that are really high on most people's cheat sheets.

And yeah...I know a lot of you are gonna be like "WTF! I want you in my league!" My response to you is "you can go ahead and pick them and I'll laugh my ass off when they are huge busts this year"
TheBigBakedBean
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheBigBakedBean » Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:58 pm

Taylor and McCardell are mostly because they've killed me before. Taylor is about as durable as government-issue toilet paper and McCardell is the most over-rated #1 WR since Marty Booker.
TheBigBakedBean
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby BigMusky » Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:02 pm

The thing about avoid at all cost lists is that they are subjective to the round your picking in. I am sure you would draft Fred Taylor in the 6th round or Boldwin in the 12th round. You would be complete moron if you didnt take Holmes in the second or probably even late first. So maybe you should put some rounds that you would not draft them in.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BigMusky » Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:02 pm

Personally I am going to draft Julious Jones until really late because I see him being the big hype every year that falls on his face.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheBigBakedBean » Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:09 pm

Nah, man - I don't want these guys on my team. Period. Not even trade bait.

* Priest is going to go down this year - as is Vick, Faulk, and Bruce.
* Taylor will be hurt every other play - that guy's prolly had chicken pox since age 3 and still can't shake 'em.
* Boldin was a fluke...and if he wasn't - he'll still have to split catches with Fitz.
* McCardell is overrated. OK - so maybe I'd take him in the 12th or 13th if he was there - but he won't. The only guy more overrated than him is Price, and I wouldn't even consider him as trade bait.
* Tiki can't hold on to the ball. If he was an every-down back, it'd be different. He's not, and I don't want him on my team.
* Foster is going to show Davis up this year, big time.
* TJ Duckett + Warrick Dunn = 2(mediocrity). Two mediocre backs that split playing time? No thanks.

So, other than the exception with McCardell, I DON'T want these guys on my team. Avoid at all costs doesn't mean "avoid unless the price is right". IMO, the price just can't be right with these guys unless I knew 100% for sure that I could get a good trade out of them. And with the guys in my leagues, I never know what's up, so when I say "avoid at all costs"...well, uh...that's kinda what I meant.
Last edited by TheBigBakedBean on Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheBigBakedBean
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby TheBigBakedBean » Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:12 pm

BigMusky wrote:Personally I am going to draft Julious Jones until really late because I see him being the big hype every year that falls on his face.

Noble prediction...I respect that. But personally, I think Parcells is too good of a coach to let him fall on his face. The support system is there, the talent is there. I mean Hambrick is NOT a 1,000 yrd rusher...but with Parcells giving him chance after chance to show SOMETHING, he was able to get decent stats. JJones is, however, a little over-hyped. Parcells isn't a cure-all, and the 'Boys will definitely have some growing pains. I just don't see him falling on his face.
TheBigBakedBean
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby brdmaverick » Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:57 pm

I would avoid Shannon Sharpe at all costs, it amazes me that he is still being drafted in some of the leagues I have seen.
Go Pats!
brdmaverick
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Got interesting "Avoid at all costs" lists?

Postby Azrael » Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:11 pm

TheBigBakedBean wrote:Mine is as follows:

-> Fred Taylor
-> Marshall Faulk
-> Tiki Barber
-> Anquan Boldin
-> Isaac Bruce
-> Stephen Davis
-> Keenan McCardell

I would probably agree with that.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby FootballDrummer6 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:25 pm

* Taylor will be hurt every other play - that guy's prolly had chicken pox since age 3 and still can't shake 'em.

Wow... are you sure you're not, how should I say, a beginner who is completely unaware of the NFL?

Frey Taylor has played every single game since 2002, a two-season, 32-game streak.

...like Ahman or Deuce or Clinton)

Let's look at the people you want:

- Deuce missed one game in 2002
- Green missed two games in 2002
- Portis miseed three games in 2003

Seems to me that Taylor can no longer be labled an injury-risk, unless of course you lable almost everyone.
FootballDrummer6
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby KingGhidra » Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:29 pm

FootballDrummer6 wrote:
Seems to me that Taylor can no longer be labled an injury-risk, unless of course you lable almost everyone.

I consider everyone a similar injury risk unless they have a chronic condition. Taylor does not to my knowledge. Faulk does (knees). I' chalk the two missed seasons Taylor has to unluck of the draw. Injury is a way of life in the NFL, especially for running backs.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk