I am a Fantasy Football n00b....Please help! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

I am a Fantasy Football n00b....Please help!

Moderator: Football Moderators

I am a Fantasy Football n00b....Please help!

Postby HolyCow101 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:59 pm

So sorry if this has been done before, but this is my first year of fantasy football and was wondering the level of importance of each position.

Do you go for RB's early? Draft the best QB early? Leave WR's for last? Draft GONZO early on?

I need tips on drafting now. My draft is set for this Saturday. :-o
HolyCow101
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Moses08 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:00 pm

It all depends on your league's scoring system.

In most leagues, RBs go first.
-Moses08

Moses08
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby irishboy » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:09 pm

in a standard yahoo public league:

RBs are the most important because they score the most points and are the most consistent

WRs are next (the elite few like moss, harrison and holt are like rbs); other than those three, u should draft wrs in 2nd round and on

QBs are next; u can draft a really good qb late because there is so much depth that wr position lacks

TEs go last unless his name is tony gonzalez who can go in the 3rd or 4th round

KICKERs and DEFENSEs go before TEs (again except for gonzalez and maybe heap) because they are the most unpredictable from year to year; try to grab wilkins, vanderjagt, or kasay for kicker and then new england or baltimore for defense; everyone else is somewhat of a crapshoot;

hope this helps
IRISH PRIDE (WHAT'S WRONG WITH ALL CAPS)
irishboy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby FeArMeNtL » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:16 pm

Ah its great to see another person joining fantasy football. You just got to love it. Good luck to ya man, this is the best place for information. ;-D
[img]http://mywebpage.netscape.com/mercerboy3/fearmesig.jpg [img]
The tandem of Chad Johnson and Rudi Johnson, plus a new defense,Marvin Lewis,Palmer=Dynasty
FeArMeNtL
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:38 pm

Generally, assuming it's a 12 team draft:

11 of the first rounders will probably be RB's, the only exception will probably be Moss at around #9 or #10. So yes, RB's go first.

QB's are the least important of the big 3 positions (RB, WR, QB). Generally, Culpepper, Manning, Mcnabb, and Vick go in the first 3 rounds, with the first being Culpepper in the mid/late 2nd. Personally, I avoid QB's until later, the dropoff from any of these guys to a guy like Mcnair 3 rounds later is minimal compared to the dropoff in RB's or WR's in 3 rounds time.

Gonzo usually goes around the mid/late 3rd round. He's the only TE that I ever consider drafting early.

Lastly, defenses and kickers usually go late. You'll get pretty split opinions on when to take them, I always pick my kicker in the last couple rounds because good fantasy kickers change so vastly from year to year, and even the people that say it's worth it to take a kicker/defense early would consider "early" to be around the 8th-10th round.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby 34=Sweetness » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:46 pm

irishboy wrote:in a standard yahoo public league:

RBs are the most important because they score the most points and are the most consistent

WRs are next (the elite few like moss, harrison and holt are like rbs); other than those three, u should draft wrs in 2nd round and on

QBs are next; u can draft a really good qb late because there is so much depth that wr position lacks

TEs go last unless his name is tony gonzalez who can go in the 3rd or 4th round

KICKERs and DEFENSEs go before TEs (again except for gonzalez and maybe heap) because they are the most unpredictable from year to year; try to grab wilkins, vanderjagt, or kasay for kicker and then new england or baltimore for defense; everyone else is somewhat of a crapshoot;

hope this helps
I have never seen a draft where Ds and Ks went before TE. You should probably get one of the better TEs, but ones you can get later. (KW2, Crumpler, McMicheal, Boo, Franks) Heap and Shockey are not worth where they go at. Ks and Ds are meant for the last 2 rounds, since they very from year to year. With Ds you can also just add and drop one every week who has the best matchup in the FA pool.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Adlaw » Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:41 pm

SO far you are getting good advice from these guys. Most important thing is don't get caught up in a rush on any particular position. If there is for example, a run of three QBs taken in arow, look first. If there is a "better" pick in a runningback or even wide out available taken the top wideout, an average QB will be around another two picks down.
I hope this made sense. It is a simple rookie mistake. BUt you are in a good place to help you get a jump on any other rookies in your league. Good luck!! ;-D
Adlaw
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

drafting tips.

Postby bigdog86 » Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:07 am

We all have different ways of drafting and I agree with all that RB's will go 1st in any league. Why? Because the run/catch..simple as that. Wideouts catch, QB's pass. The only exception is the DEF. Depending on the rules of the league, A DEF can be very important. WHY? Special teams TDs, sack, INTS, DEF TD's Fumble Recoveries. Based on points for each, I have seen them = to a QB.

SO in closing pay attention to the scoring system before you sign up for any money leagues and draft. Hope this helps

Commish (http://www.fantasysportsguys.com)
bigdog86
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby 34=Sweetness » Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:46 am

This is sort of hard to explain, but try to be the guy that starts the runs on a posistion, so that you always get the best player at that posistion available. Look where your opponents are weak at and are likely to pick next, and then take that posistion. They will probably scramble to pick up that posistion for fear of being left with an inferior player.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Re: drafting tips.

Postby Free Bagel » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:21 am

bigdog86 wrote:We all have different ways of drafting and I agree with all that RB's will go 1st in any league. Why? Because the run/catch..simple as that. Wideouts catch, QB's pass. The only exception is the DEF. Depending on the rules of the league, A DEF can be very important. WHY? Special teams TDs, sack, INTS, DEF TD's Fumble Recoveries. Based on points for each, I have seen them = to a QB.

SO in closing pay attention to the scoring system before you sign up for any money leagues and draft. Hope this helps

Commish (http://www.fantasysportsguys.com)

Actually the main reasons RB's go so early are due to their consistency and positional scarcity. The number of feature backs in the NFL is steadily declining, and most leagues allow you to start 2-3 RB's.

This leaves the 20 or so feature backs in the NFL for 24-36 starting spots in a 12 team league. Whereas another position, say QB, has a good 28-30 feature QB's for only 12 starting spots.

As for the defenses, no one denies that defences and kickers put up as many total points as any other position, the difference is that the falloff from 1 to 12 is smaller than the other positions, and also that they're much harder to predict. I did an analysis of kickers a while back, and while I don't remember the exact numbers, it went something like this:

Only 2 kickers in the last 5 years have had back to back top 5 seasons.

Around 80% of the time a top 5 kicker will drop out of the top 15 the next year

Around 70% of the time a top 5 kicker will drop out of the top 20 the next year.

Just to note, last year's top 2 kickers (Vandy and Wilkins), were 17th and 27th the year before.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Return to Football Talk