A new top 5 WR. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

A new top 5 WR.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby maddog60 » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:05 am

I'm not nearly that high on him, but I do think Rod Smith can be had at a spot in the draft where he'll be quite a value. I'm quite happy with him as my #4 WR in my one league.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Re: A new top 5 WR.

Postby Warpigs » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:27 am

Bennett4Prez wrote:If Lelie doesn't come around, Rod Smith will be the only receiver getting any looks. And while that may result in many interceptions, those don't count against Rod Smith.

You're right, if Lelie doesn't pan out, Smith WILL be getting a lot of looks -- by defenses. We all expect the Broncos to groom a new value in running back (they've made Anderson, Portis, etc. big names in the past). Who will it be? Until the Broncos find a running game, I think Rod Smith will have his struggles. Plummer has been known in the past to try to shoulder too much responsibility, which leads to mistakes, interceptions, etc. With Portis gone, I can see The Snake try to take on that provider role, which worries me.

Again, until the Broncos can get a running game, which will alleviate Plummer's workload, I think the Broncos will have their struggles. Everyone is right in thinking that Smith will be a value in mid to late drafts, but don't expect him to be a top-tier receiver for the foreseeable future.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Jabberwocky » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:32 am

You can be in my league so you can draft him.
YOU'RE FIRED!!!!!!
Jabberwocky
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Re: A new top 5 WR.

Postby Gunslinger » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:36 am

Warpigs wrote:
Bennett4Prez wrote:If Lelie doesn't come around, Rod Smith will be the only receiver getting any looks. And while that may result in many interceptions, those don't count against Rod Smith.

You're right, if Lelie doesn't pan out, Smith WILL be getting a lot of looks -- by defenses. We all expect the Broncos to groom a new value in running back (they've made Anderson, Portis, etc. big names in the past). Who will it be? Until the Broncos find a running game, I think Rod Smith will have his struggles. Plummer has been known in the past to try to shoulder too much responsibility, which leads to mistakes, interceptions, etc. With Portis gone, I can see The Snake try to take on that provider role, which worries me.

Again, until the Broncos can get a running game, which will alleviate Plummer's workload, I think the Broncos will have their struggles. Everyone is right in thinking that Smith will be a value in mid to late drafts, but don't expect him to be a top-tier receiver for the foreseeable future.

I think that's what Hearst was brought in for. He gives them a seasoned vet to use while they sort out the longterm situation. By no means am I saying their running game will be as effective as Portis was, but they should be able to get some balance out of it.
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Warpigs » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:47 am

I think Hearst will do OK. However, there are still a lot of questions in the backfield in my opinion. While Hearst will get some carries, we all know that Tatum Bell and others will also get their share of the load. One of the reasons Denver has excelled in the past has been a consistent force out of the backfield. Having a number of different backs rotate into the mix can, at times, mess with chemistry, which leads to sticky situations. I've been a Plummer follower his whole career, and his great numbers at times last year were directly affected by having a bonafide runner in the backfield. The dropoff from Portis to Hearst/Bell is fairly significant, and I think Plummer will consider himself as the one who needs to help bridge the gap by doing more. He'll try to take the team onto his shoulders until another threat helps take some of the load -- and I've learned to be concerned when Plummer feels responsible to carry the offense. We'll see.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:57 am

I like your style, I'll tell ya that much. ;-D
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless

Postby NFLknowitall » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:59 am

Barlow couldn't beat out Hearst and neither will Bell or Griffith.

That said, I believe that Rod Smith will be a good draft FF WR this year b/c of where you can get him in the draft. He will fall like a ton of bricks and then produce well. Draft him as your #4 WR and he will give you minimum #3 WR numbers and maybe #2 if Plummer and the Broncos can play well. They have a lot of talent there in Denver. IMO.
NFLknowitall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:04 am

I completely agree that RS is underrated. If Lelie picks it up and the running game craps out they could be a lot like the Steelers of 2002 (light version).

But here are a few things to consider:

1) RS only 8 TDs the past 2 years
2) Jake only started 11 games last year
3) Broncos passing yards 2002 - 3824
Broncos passing yards 2003 - 2969 down almost 1,000 yds.

That being said - I look for a big bounce back from him this year and would take him at about the #20 wr spot, lower if I thought that he would fall.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:07 am

Im with the rest of you who think he's a great value pick in the mid rds. Draft him as your #4 - watch him perform like a #2 or 3. I do think RS will have a better yr than Lelie.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Gunslinger » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:20 am

Warpigs wrote:I think Hearst will do OK. However, there are still a lot of questions in the backfield in my opinion. While Hearst will get some carries, we all know that Tatum Bell and others will also get their share of the load. One of the reasons Denver has excelled in the past has been a consistent force out of the backfield. Having a number of different backs rotate into the mix can, at times, mess with chemistry, which leads to sticky situations. I've been a Plummer follower his whole career, and his great numbers at times last year were directly affected by having a bonafide runner in the backfield. The dropoff from Portis to Hearst/Bell is fairly significant, and I think Plummer will consider himself as the one who needs to help bridge the gap by doing more. He'll try to take the team onto his shoulders until another threat helps take some of the load -- and I've learned to be concerned when Plummer feels responsible to carry the offense. We'll see.

I have to agree that I'm not totally sold on Plummer yet. This season will be his final exam.
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk