westbrook: sleeper rb or not? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

westbrook: sleeper rb or not?

Moderator: Football Moderators

westbrook: sleeper rb or not?

Postby theducttape » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:01 am

he is suppose to split carries with buckhalter. is he gonna be as good as people say?
if you can't duct it...
theducttape
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Shatner8 » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:03 am

Im not sure id call him a 'Sleeper" since he is being picked in the 4th-5th round of drafts. I think he will be a great #3 RB this year or a decent #2
Thanks to Go Jays Go for the sweet sig
Shatner8
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby steelerfan04 » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:10 am

IMO Westbrook is overrated. Last year everyone was saying how Buckhalter would soon become the feature back, and I think the Eagles still mya be planning to do that. But thats just me. I've seen WEstbrook go very high in some drafts, and everyone else seems to like him.
steelerfan04
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby maddog60 » Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:08 am

No, Buckhalter is going to be lucky if he sees 100 carries this season. Westbrook was the spark plug for that offense all year last year. Everyone (fans, players, and the organization) saw how much it hurt when Westbrook went down. If the Eagles weren't planning on giving Westbrook a much bigger role, they would've kept the talented and fan adored Duce Staley around.

If anything Westbrook is underrated, especially considering that consistency with which he put up fantasy points on so few carries.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:42 am

I agree with Shatner on this. Not someone Id call a sleeper, but a decent #2, great #3 RB still the same.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby theducttape » Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:44 am

who is better, westbrook or rudi johnson?
if you can't duct it...
theducttape
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby PSU All Day » Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:48 am

If buckhalter wasn't on the team it would clearly be westbrook (assuming injuries are in the past which of course who knows). The fear is that Buckhalter comes in for the goal line or that he gets significant playing time.

Think you have to go with Rudi just because he will get the ball more.

Though he has a tough schedule.
PSU All Day
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Rudi Johnson over Westbrook

Postby Rodge » Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:57 am

Just because of the fact that Buckhalter is in the mix, Westbrook is not going to be an elite back. Westbrook is simply not going to carry the entire load. Over the past few years, Andy Reid has always used a running back by committee approach. Nothing is going to change this year. Westbrook and Buckhalter are both going to get a lot of carries. They may both be of value in fantasy football, but neither is going to be an elite back.

It would be downright foolish to draft Westbrook over Rudi Johnson. Johnson is the clear cut #1 back in Cincinatti.
Rodge
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:09 pm

I would be very nervous with him as my #2 RB. I would only draft him as a #3.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby fantasyswami » Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:25 pm

steelerfan04 wrote:IMO Westbrook is overrated. Last year everyone was saying how Buckhalter would soon become the feature back, and I think the Eagles still mya be planning to do that. But thats just me. I've seen WEstbrook go very high in some drafts, and everyone else seems to like him.

How can any guy who was third-string last year be overrated? And all he did as the third-stringer was score 13 TDs, which was the 8th best in the NFL last year. Overrated? Not even close.

That being said, the dreaded RBBC still has to be a concern when drafting him because of the very capable Buckhalter. Westbrook is a good RB2 and a very dangerous RB3.
Doghouse Fantasy Football Magazine - [i]"Man's Best Friend"[/i]
fantasyswami
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk