QB Debate -- Yahoo's Harmon Ranks Them - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

QB Debate -- Yahoo's Harmon Ranks Them

Moderator: Football Moderators

QB Debate -- Yahoo's Harmon Ranks Them

Postby Warpigs » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:39 pm

Yahoo article on Quarterback rankings is out. Whatcha all think? Personally, I'm amazed to see Pennington get shafted again here. I think he'll be better than Aaron Brooks, Brett Favre and others that Harmon has above him!!

Harmon's rankings: quarterbacks

by Mike Harmon
July 15, 2004

As I sat down to put together my QB rankings, I must have re-ordered the top five guys in about 20 different ways. Daunte Culpepper has a legit No. 2 receiver, Donovan McNabb finally has a No. 1 wideout and Matt Hasselbeck has more toys than all of them. And what about Michael Vick? He's got new receivers and a new scheme.

So, I finally penciled in Peyton Manning. Year after year, this guy delivers. Week-to-week, he's as explosive and as consistent as they come.

Surely, there will be disagreements about my ordering, particularly once you get out of the top 10. That's where it gets jumbled and you have to let your gut have more of a say. So, fire off your thoughts.

Who's the "can't miss" guy? Who's the "bust" of the year? Who'll find redemption on Sundays this fall? Keep checking back for more fantasy football coverage as Brandon Funston, Matt Romig and I will fill the pages with our predictions and thoughts as we wind our way to opening weekend.

Harmon's position rankings: RB | WR | TE | K | D

1. Peyton Manning, Ind
Outlook: Yeah, he's a statue. So what? When you've got Harrison and Reggie Wayne to toss to, stand there all you want.
2. Daunte Culpepper, Min
Outlook: Gets a true No. 2 in Marcus Robinson to stretch the passing game. With a trio of healthy backs, the Vikings live up to the hype.
3. Donovan McNabb, Phi
Outlook: He got a shiny new No. 1 receiver for Christmas. Hopefully, he only brought his talent and left his baggage in SF. I can't wait to see the newest dynamic duo work their magic.
4. Michael Vick, Atl
Outlook: Michael Vick, pocket passer? No chance. He'll enjoy his new toys and healthy wheels.
5. Matt Hasselbeck, Sea
Outlook: With another year of Robinson and Jackson on the wings and Alexander in the backfield, Hasselbeck will soar even higher in '04.
6. Brett Favre, GB
Outlook: Doesn't seem to slow down. Even with a bad thumb, Favre delivers. Unless your league equally weights TDs and INTs, Favre is a stud.
7. Aaron Brooks, NO
Outlook: Big-time playmakers on this squad. Finally settling in to being the man in the Big Easy.
8. Steve McNair, Ten
Outlook: Primed for another big year with several big-play receivers and dual TEs.
9. Marc Bulger, StL
Outlook: It's his squad now. With high-flying receivers and a Faulk/Jackson backfield, he'll get the benefit of the doubt that Martz didn't give him in the playoffs.
10. Tom Brady, NE
Outlook: He gets no love, but all this guy does is win. Steady but not spectacular, Brady provides a tremendous base to your fantasy line.
11. Chad Pennington, NYJ
Outlook: Healthy and armed with a new wideout to complement Santana Moss in Justin McCareins, Pennington is ready to make the leap.
12. Trent Green, KC
Outlook: It almost looked too easy last season, with the Chiefs carving through defenses like a marshmallow peep. The wideouts aren't spectacular but with Tony Gonzalez and Priest Holmes in tow, they don't need to be.
13. Brad Johnson, TB
Outlook: Johnson and Coach Gruden look to rebound from a disappointing 2003 season. He quietly put up a 26-TD season.
14. Jake Plummer, Den
Outlook: Plummer played well when healthy and gets to work in new weapons. He'll need Ashley Lelie to step up.
15. Jake Delhomme, Car
Outlook: After an uninspiring regular season, Delhomme got the Panthers to the big dance. With another year under his belt, he's ready to step up the TD total in '04.
16. Tommy Maddox, Pit
Outlook: Tough season for Maddox in '03. He needs Plaxico Burress to return to '02 form. If he does, it could be a long year for opposing defenses.
17. Byron Leftwich, Jac
Outlook: Cannon for an arm and a full year of work behind him, Leftwich will be more confident and ready to dominate in '04.
18. Jeff Garcia, Cle
Outlook: Leaves 'the system' for new grounds in Cleveland. He'll need to push receivers Davis, Northcutt and Morgan to new heights.
19. Joey Harrington, Det
Outlook: Could be the steal of the fantasy draft. With Roy Williams and Charles Rogers on the wings, Harrington's ready to step it up.
20. Mark Brunell, Was
Outlook: Brunell's body got to rest for a full season in Jax. With Portis standing behind him and a rejuvenated Joe Gibbs, Brunell is ready to get back on the highlight shows.
21. Drew Bledsoe, Buf
Outlook: Can Mularkey work his magic in Buffalo? Bills fans sure hope so after Bledsoe's pathetic 11-TD season in '03.
22. Josh McCown, Ari
Outlook: Is he ready? He may not set the world on fire, but Fitzgerald and Boldin will let him sleep easier at night.
23. David Carr, Hou
Outlook: They're building a team to match his cannon of an arm. It might be one more year before he's ready for the full-time fantasy starter role, but play the matchup game.
24. Rich Gannon, Oak
Outlook: Let's just forget last year. As of now, Gannon's still the man in Oakland. With a healthy Jerry Porter and a new offense, don't bury Gannon, Rice and Brown just yet.
25. Carson Palmer, Cin
Outlook: Athletic Chad Johnson and Kelley Washington will help Palmer to get acclimated to his new starting gig. Kitna will be ready if he falters.

26. Eli Manning, NYG
Outlook: Welcome to the Big Apple. Tough place to get started, but after a dismal '03 for the Giants, expectations aren't that high.
27. Rex Grossman, Chi
Outlook: The Kordell experiment has ended in Chicago. A new coach and new offensive scheme will help Grossman immensely. With that said, he's waiver wire fodder.
28. A.J. Feeley, Mia
Outlook: Owner Wayne Huizenga says he's like Marino. Ricky Williams trumps Bernie Parmalee and the Clayton and Duper roles are filled by Chambers and Boston. I still don't see an O-Line here to keep him upright.
29. Tim Rattay, SF
Outlook: Rattay is coming off injury and is surrounded by an entirely new cast. Signs of struggles ahead.
30. Kyle Boller, Bal
Outlook: You'll get no fantasy points for "Handoff to No. 31 Jamal Lewis."
31. Quincy Carter, Dal
Outlook: He stands to have a more consistent season in '04 with a veteran supporting cast. If he scuffles, former Yankees' prospect Drew Henson or Parcells favorite Vinny Testaverde will take the reigns.
32. Kurt Warner, NYG
Outlook: The two-time MVP enters a new system in '04. With almost a full season to recover from his previous injuries, he's ready to play if Eli struggles early.
33. Patrick Ramsey, Was
Outlook: Relegated to the bench with the signing of Brunell. Capable backup if you run with Brunell.
34. Philip Rivers,
Outlook: Rookie comes into camp as the starter but has no support cast. Like Boller, handing the ball off wins you no leagues.
35. Kerry Collins,
Outlook: Awful season in NY brings Collins west. He'll be ready to relieve Gannon if his pre-injury struggles continue.
36. Jon Kitna, Cin
Outlook: Not often do you dominate and quickly get bounced to the bench. Kitna will make good coin watching Carson Palmer take his snaps. He's only a 1-4 start away from getting back under center.
37. Gus Frerotte, Min
Outlook: Looked good when spelling Culpepper in '03 and will fill the same role this season.
38. Brian Griese, TB
Outlook: So the Miami thing didn't work. It was a heartwarming story though.
39. Chris Chandler, StL
Outlook: The system works. An injury to Bulger opens an opportunity for Chandler as a spot starter.
40. Kelly Holcomb, Cle
Outlook: He'll stand as backup to Garcia this season. Not much value to be had here.
41. Tim Couch, GB
Outlook: Favre never sits, so it's likely that Couch only sees the field in the garbage minutes, handing the ball off or taking a knee.
42. Billy Volek, Ten
Outlook: Volek is in the same situation as Couch, standing behind a QB who rarely misses time.
43. Vinny Testaverde, Dal
Outlook: He's ready if Carter fails. If nothing else, he's like having an extra coach.
44. Trent Dilfer, Sea
Outlook: Even if he sees action, he's not a fantasy star. But he wins.
45. Drew Brees, SD
Outlook: Lost his gig to the rookie. Handing the ball off wins no fantasy titles.
46. Koy Detmer, Phi
Outlook: Emergency starter if McNabb goes down. He'll likely spend the autumn marveling at the exploits of McNabb, just like me.
47. J.P. Losman, Buf
Outlook: Another brutal start by Bledsoe means that the rookie will get the call.
48. Todd Bouman, NO
Outlook: Horn, Stallworth, Deuce and Boo. Only worthy if Brooks goes down.
49. Shaun King, Ari
Outlook: Sure, a bit surprising here, but with two big-time wideouts he only needs to toss it up.
50. Ben Roethlisberger, Pit Played for Miami (Ohio) in '03 7
Outlook: Ready to stand in if the Steelers offense goes south and Maddox falters.

Mike Harmon is a Yahoo! Sports fantasy expert. Send him a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

Updated
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby KingGhidra » Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:03 pm

No love for Trent Green as usual. He has to be the most underrated QB in the league right now and I don't just mean fantasy wise.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Warpigs » Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:04 pm

I know. Trent Green and Pennington both have gotten shafted in most drafts/rankings I've seen.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Flux » Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:07 pm

Im going after Green in my drafts this year. He is so underrated, he is a complete steal. I personally have him as my #6 QB right behind Hasselbeck, but definitely wont jump the gun on him
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Football Newbie » Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:21 pm

I target Penny and Green in my drafts. To get either in the 6th/7th is amazing.
Football Newbie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Buckychudd » Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:23 pm

Farve at #6? He's going to throw a silly number of ints this year.
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby IRON CHEF » Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:46 pm

I don't like Mike Harmon, his thoughts on baseball and football always seem to be right. I would never think of this guy as an "expert".

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby KolbSaves » Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:38 pm

seem not to be right?
"It is unworthy of excellent men to lose hours like slaves in the labor of calculation, which could be safely relegated to anyone else if machines were used." - Leibniz
KolbSaves
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby roninmedia » Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:45 pm

I like targeting McNair, Brady, or Pennington in my drafts. I can get either of these guys in the 7th.
roninmedia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby IRON CHEF » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:58 pm

seem not to be right?

:-P

yea I meant wrong, I have to read over my posts

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager