Best Madden 2005 Team - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Video Games

Best Madden 2005 Team

Moderator: Football Moderators

Best Madden 2005 Team

Postby Warpigs » Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:54 am

Our league will be holding a Madden 2005 tournament before we draft to determine draft positions. I'd love to do well, and know that the first step is picking a good team to use. I'd like to decide on a team now so I can continue practicing with Madden 2004 to learn playbooks, etc.

I was considering Green Bay -- Having a stud back is key and Green should be awesome in this year's game. Having Favre helps me feel secure when I need to turn to the passing game. The O-line is pretty good. However, I'm concerned on the defense. I need to have a good defensive team since I'm not really all that good at controlling the defensive players.

Which made me consider Miami. The Dolphins always have a great defense. Offensively, Having a receiving tandem of Boston and Chambers should be awesome. However, I expect Ricky Williams to be mediocre in the game, and the QB situation doesn't exactly thrill me.

Which of these two teams should I go with -- or is there another I should consider? Again, my requirements include a pretty solid back (no worse than Ricky) and a stud defense, if possible.

HELP!!
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby footballfreak449 » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:38 am

Well, the Ravens, though they have no recivers, they do have Todd Heap, and Kyle Boller who could throw the ball half-way decent. And of course Jamal Lewis, who will probably be one of the top 3 backs in that game. And a great D, lead by the cover boy (watch out for his injury), Ray Lewis.

Washington is also an option. Portis is an elite RB, and there Defense has produce solidly over the past few years.

As well as Carolina. A great D, and Stephen Davis won't get pushed around either.

Same with there opponents, the Pats. Corey Dillon is a very solid RB, but maybe you are looking more stud
footballfreak449
Head Coach
Head Coach

Graphics ExpertWeb Supporter

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:51 am

If I could pick any teams to play with in my league, I'd take Miami, Baltimore, or Washington (but alas, I am stuck with the Cowboys and Aveion Cason :P). That's just because they suit my style well though.

For a preaseason tournament, in all honesty, the team that I hate playing against most is the Vikings. Now, I assume you're playing a sim league like mine, so you don't have to worry about the cheesers abusing Moss, but even in an actual league, Moss 1on1 deep will be a catch 95% of the time, so I'm limited to plays that have him doubled, and since I play the 46 defense, this severely limits my defensive gameplan.

In fact, I play the Vikes in the playoffs in my league this coming week. Their speed is just scary hard to stop on defense, honestly I played with them once and I don't see how you can NOT score with that offense. Culpepper and Kleinsasser (as a receiver) are way overrated. Personally I'd rather play against a team with a good defense, because I can get my offense going either way. The added bonus is that the Vikings D should be pretty decent in the '05 version.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:57 am

I will say this though, if you wanted a more direct answer between Miami and Green Bay.

If Madden 2005 is built like 2004, then I would take Miami in a heartbeat. They're outrageously overrated, and I would take them over any other team in 2004.

Defense in 2004 is all about fast DE's and strong, fast, aware corners.

They have 2 fast DE's, and 2 shutdown corners, and all the other positions are pretty well stacked to boot.

Their only weakness on offense is the line, and that didn't seem to have much of an effect in 2004. Fiedler is actually a pretty decent Madden QB (though maybe I'm just used to playing with Quincy :P), and Chambers was overrated, as was Boston in 2004.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Warpigs » Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:06 am

OK. Thanks for the feedback. Didn't even think about the Vikings. That would be interesting.

Overall, I want a team that has the best chance to win in any one game. We have to use the same team throughout the day-long tournament, but won't be using them thereafter -- we just thought it would be a fun way to decide the draft order.

Also, this is the X-box version. I mention this, because the computer version I have seems to run totally different than when I'm playing X-box. Of course, on my computer, I'm forced to play with the keyboard only, which limits some of the play.

So Miami, Baltimore, Minnesota, Washington and Green Bay are all possibilities? I went from looking at two to a list of five now! :~( ;-D

Any other suggestions?
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:21 am

Not to get too off topic here, but isn't this the opposite way that you would want to determine draft order? In my league we do it by reverse order of how you finished the previous year, that way the bad players get the good teams and it helps parity. If the best player got the best team, just seems like it'd be too easy...
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Warpigs » Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:43 am

We're having a double elimination Madden tournament to determine the draft order of our local money-league H2H Yahoo fantasy league.

So which team gives me the best chances to win from game one? How good will Philly be? I'm nervous because they don't have a top-notch running back, and I like good power running when playing Madden. Baltimore's offense outside of Lewis worries me, alrthough I do like the idea of Heap up the middle. Miami and Washington have new coaches coming in, so it will be hard to predict playbooks, etc. until the 2005 version is out. I still like GB, but it depends on their defense.

Still need help! :~(
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter

Postby UtopianHopes » Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:09 am

I would take eagles, pats, ravens, seahawks, panthers, and etc... Any team with a good defense. Offensive is extremely easy to make over achieve. Just ask free bagel guy actually put up 40 points a game with the cowboys.

Reasons of why i said those teams:
Pats will be loaded next season (weakness was hb and they got one now), Ravens jamal lewis is a monster. Breaks ton of tackles without trying and you got a good defense. Seahawks have alot of weapons on offense and good d with wistrom at de and 2 good cb in trufant and taylor?( not sure one of the ex- eagle cb's). Panthers have a great duo at rb and good d. Eagles have westbrook he is real good in madden 04 in my opinion guy catchs everything and has the speed to break for long runs (only worry is the cb, hope they get rated good if not your secondary will get picked on).

If your playing a tournment with madden 04. I say go with the vikings. Team real sick. Bennet is extremely fast and the o-line is great at opening holes. Moss is all you need at wr (could be sneak and mix up the packages and put him at slot) and the te is better then he is in real life. The d is real fast and great at creating turnovers, you might get beat at d. But with that offense you can give up 35 points a game. It's tough for anyone to keep up with you if your scoring 40-50 points.
UtopianHopes
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Warpigs » Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:24 am

UtopianHopes wrote:If your playing a tournment with madden 04. I say go with the vikings. Team real sick. Bennet is extremely fast and the o-line is great at opening holes. Moss is all you need at wr (could be sneak and mix up the packages and put him at slot) and the te is better then he is in real life. The d is real fast and great at creating turnovers, you might get beat at d. But with that offense you can give up 35 points a game. It's tough for anyone to keep up with you if your scoring 40-50 points.

How sick will the Vikings be in the 2005 version? Culpepper and Moss should only be better, and Bennett is fast. However, how will be Vikings be on defense this time around? I didn't keep an eye on the Viking defensive movements this offseason.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter

Postby UtopianHopes » Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:52 am

they add a ex-bills cb Antoine Winfield . He pretty good and they draft a de with the first-round draft pick Kenechi Udeze and second-rounder Dontarrious Thomas lb.
UtopianHopes
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Video Games