Joe Horn - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Joe Horn

Moderator: Football Moderators

Joe Horn

Postby Chadwick » Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:47 pm

Last year i drafted this guy as my number 1 WR. Unfournatly he failed to break 1,000 yards. Naturally i was very dissapointed. Will he bust like he did last year or will he be making alot of calls from the end zone.
Chadwick
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:58 pm

Depends...Horn is getting older, but I don't think he's washed up.

If Aaron Brooks keeps being the inconsistent QB that he has been, it may happen again.

The emergence of Donte Stallworth may have a hand in it also. If he becomes a good threat for the Saints offense, it may open up Horn for some more TD's and yards!
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby KingGhidra » Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:54 pm

I have five groups of players I lump everyone into.

Group 1: Established stars
Prerequiste: At least two seasons of consistent production and a similar situation to the previous season. These players make up the first 10-15 players on my WR cheatsheet. More or less the no-brainers.
Ex: Randy Moss, Marvin Harrison and Hines Ward.

Group 2: Risky Stars
Prerequisite: would be an established star, but major changes in coaching/personnel/team place him here.
Ex: Chad Johnson

Group 3: Rising Stars
Prerequisite: Players with one year of greatness. Too risky to consider an established star.
Ex: Santana Moss, Steve Smith, Anquan Boldin, Chris Chambers

Group 4: Fading Stars
Prerequisite: Former established star who is old and suffered a dip in production for whatever reason. Better days may be behind him.
Ex: Joe Horn, Amani Toomer, Isaac Bruce, Jimmy Smith

Group 5: Everyone else

After the established starts, I sort the rest by yards and catches. If players have similar stats, the tie breaker goes to the fading star. So if it's a choice between Joe Horn and some new 80 catch 1000 yard WR, Horn gets the nod. I make other modifications based on situation and such but anyway...

Back to your question.

Horn should break 1000 yards given a 16 game season. In fact, you'll probably be getting a 1200 yard WR at a bargain price. He was actually on a pretty good pace last year, but the knee injury slowed him down. The off-season surgery was "routine" and should be fully recovered. Obviously his age should be of some concern, but he should be a decent #1.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby 34=Sweetness » Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:01 pm

I wouldnt say Chambers had one year of greatness. He was pretty good in his rookie year in 2001, with 883 yards and 7 TDs. Not bad for a rookie. Though last year was his best year, it wasnt like Moss or Smith who hadn't had a real solid season before.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby KingGhidra » Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:55 pm

34=Sweetness wrote:I wouldnt say Chambers had one year of greatness. He was pretty good in his rookie year in 2001, with 883 yards and 7 TDs. Not bad for a rookie. Though last year was his best year, it wasnt like Moss or Smith who hadn't had a real solid season before.

Yes that's a great rookie year. Last season was the first time he was ever in the top 12 though. Also, he hasn't even had a 70 catch season, much less an 80 catch season. The last two seasons, Smith and Chambers have comparable numbers, which is why I group them similarly.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Postby sandboxrebel » Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:59 pm

KingGhidra wrote:I have five groups of players I lump everyone into.

Prerequiste: At least two seasons of consistent production and a similar situation to the previous season. These players make up the first 10-15 players on my WR cheatsheet. More or less the no-brainers.

Prerequisite: would be an established star, but major changes in coaching/personnel/team place him here.

are you trying to say you don't have chad johnson in your top 10?
sandboxrebel
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby nola_saint » Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:31 pm

If it helps any, i saw Joe Horn in person about 3 weeks ago at a local dance club called the Metropoliton. He was shaking a tailfeather on the dance floor a little while, as well as drinking a bit.
I think he has one more good year left. He is looking to get a nice contract next year, which I think is a plus for many players.
nola_saint
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 6)

Postby KingGhidra » Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:40 pm

sandboxrebel wrote:
KingGhidra wrote:I have five groups of players I lump everyone into.

are you trying to say you don't have chad johnson in your top 10?

That is correct sir. Or it would be more correct to say, he isn't a lock for my top 10. It's not looking good either.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheHeat24 » Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:49 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:Depends...Horn is getting older, but I don't think he's washed up.

If Aaron Brooks keeps being the inconsistent QB that he has been, it may happen again.

I really dont know how you can blame brooks... Who do you think has been throwing to horn the last few years when hes been producing... Brooks rating last year was 88 which is very solid... Horn's major problem last year was health... he injured his knee in week 2 i believe and he played hurt all year.... although he only had 900 yds he still had a career high in TD's.

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby nola_saint » Sat Jul 17, 2004 5:46 pm

I think he meant brooks is inconsistent game to game, at least he was last year (I had him). His numbers have improves year to year though.
nola_saint
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 6)

Return to Football Talk