Kellen Winslow Vs Boo Williams - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Kellen Winslow Vs Boo Williams

Moderator: Football Moderators

Kellen Winslow Vs Boo Williams

Postby Smizzy » Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:03 pm

Who has more value?

Who will have the better season?
Smizzy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Wolverine » Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:56 pm

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Winslow, just because NO already has two fine WR's and a great RB to throw to. I think Garcia will have to depend heavily on Winslow with a core of mediocre wideouts and a convoluted backfield.
Wolverine
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Winslow

Postby bagobonez » Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:07 pm

I agree, you've got to go with Winslow here. I'm tempted to say Boo Williams because I own him, but also because over the last few games he out-produced every tight end including Tony Gonzalez, but Winslow is just a special talent, and will instantly become Cleveland's best weapon on offense.

You've got to go with Winslow.
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Smizzy » Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:12 pm

I just can't bring myself to draft winslow....it's those rookie jitters.

What kind of #'s can you honestly see him putting up?

What round if he projected in?
Smizzy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Wolverine » Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:10 pm

You can't predict a rookie's production, that's for sure. However, Mel Kiper thought he was the most talented player coming out of the college at his position (with possible exception to Sean Taylor who went just before him). His athleticism as a TE cannot be denied.

He is a more athletic TE than Shockey and has an equivalent, if not a much better, QB in Garcia throwing to him. Garcia's play action will get open looks for Winslow, something which Collins never could do for Shockey. The scariest part of the comparison is the effect the O-line would have on Winslow's production.

I think Winslow will be a good pickup but I wouldn't draft him too early. I'd be happy getting him in Round 7 of a 12-team draft personally.
Wolverine
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Smizzy » Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:19 pm

so Gonzalez...Heap...and Shockey then Winslow? Or would crumpler have more value?
Smizzy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby IRON CHEF » Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:29 pm

I would rank Crumpler right ahead of Winslow. This may be his breakout season, and if Price falters Vick may rely on him more.

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Wolverine » Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:54 pm

I have Shockey, Winslow, Crumpler and Boo Williams tiered together in my rankings.
Wolverine
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:23 pm

If I don't draft get Gonzalez in my draft, I start looking for a TE in the later rounds. It just doesn't make sense to me, passing up RB/WR/QB talent available in round 6-10 to draft a low scoring player.

That said, I think if you draft either of these guys (considering you have to give up a middle round pick for them) you are looking for a homerun. I call it an "anti-Gonzalez" pick.

TE point output is so low, that only Gonzlez has the ability to score anything meaningful for you on week by week basis. If you draft Winslow/Boo, you are gambling that this guy will become the next Gonzalez or counteract Gonzalez in some way. In other words, become a consistently high scoring TE.

In the homerun contest between Winslow/Boo, I like Winslow over Boo. Deuce, Horn, Stallworth, and Brooks (fumbles/run) all combine to limit his TDs. I don't think there is enough production in the Saint offense to accomodate all those players and produce a Gonzalez like TE.

Winslow on the other hand is in a much more TE friendly offense. Davis, Northcutt, and Morgan are all just average NFL players at this point in time, in other words: non-factors. Winslow has a realistic chance of surpassing all of them if his talent is as good as advertised. Furthermore, I think Jeff Garcia's scrambling ability really plays well to a TE, creating a lot of matchup problems down the field.

That said the you also have to remember that the Brown's employ W.Green/Suggs/Butch Davis, and the Chief's are being run by Priest Holmes/Vermeil.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby MeShawn » Sat Jul 17, 2004 8:58 am

I have Winslow as the #4 TE right now. Maybe he'll move higher as the season progresses. Boo is a couple slots below him
Sig courtesy of madaslives911.
MeShawn
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk