Can't quite get over the hump? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Miami Dolphins

Can't quite get over the hump?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Can't quite get over the hump?

Postby The Myth » Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:23 pm

For the past few years, some things in the NFL have remained true: The Falcons can't have back-to-back winning seasons ... The Detriot Lions will wait a long time for a good team ... The New England Patriots have become a very talented team. However, there is something else that has remained true: The Miami Dolphins just don't have the edge. What? The Miami Dolphins have a monkey on their back, and that monkey is making the playoffs.

In the same sense that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers couldn't produce in the playoffs, the talented Miami Dolphins can't make the playoffs. For a team with a star runningback, and an all-calibur defense, why is it that the Dolphins can't get over the hump? Well, that is hard to explain, but on thing is for sure: If the Dolphins don't produce this season, things will get really ugly in the city of Miami.

With the upcoming season approaching, the Miami Dolphins seemed to be prepared to contend with the other teams in the AFC. For a team that has been predicted to be SuperBowl contenders on so many occassions, this year can and honestly should be the year that they make the playoffs. The Dolphins still have problems at quarterback. The choice to obtain AJ Feely rather than wait on guys like Kerry Collins, Tim Couch, and Kurt Warner was a horrible move. AJ Feely has been doing poorly in the summer training, and is no where near the talent of the three quarterbacks I mentioned. The Dolphins added talented receiver David Boston to join Chris Chambers. Apparently Boston was slimmed down, however Boston has had personal problems with many teams, and has become a bit of a underachiever. Ricky Williams will continue to be the star that he has. The defense will be just as good as always. Even though the Dolphins lost Brock Marion, they have confidence that Reggie Howard can do a great job of replacing him.

While things look good on paper, there is always that intangible edge that the Dolphins don't possess and hopefully they won't be plagued by it again. Do the Dolphins finally have what it takes to get over the hump, or will they suffer another dissappointing season?
The Myth
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheHeat24 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:33 pm

The bucs eventually won the super bowl...

Reggie howard is a corner not a safety....

Antuan Edwads, Arturo Freeman and Yeremiah Bell will compete for marion's old spot

The dolphins made the playoffs two years ago...

Please tell me who wrote this?

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby t-love » Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:36 pm

I was about to point out those very things when I read it. Before the last two years of not making the playoffs, they made the playoffs the previoous 6-7 seasons. They had the longest streak.
t-love
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 8)

Postby The Myth » Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:42 pm

I highly doubt it. To get over the hump, you need a great coach and at least a half-way decent quarterback. Tampa Bay had Dungy get them up the hump, and Gruden push them over. New England has Billichek, and the list goes on. Their coach is a horrible coach, and Jay Fiedler isn't a stud himself. So, I see Miami out of contention for the next few years. That is my opinion...
The Myth
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby t-love » Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:22 pm

Not only will they get over the hump, they'll win the AFC east with a half rate QB and terrible coach.
t-love
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby The Myth » Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:26 pm

I think the biggest detail for me is the fact that the Dolphins play in the AFC East which is always one of the most competitive divisions in football. The Patriots are defending Superbowl Champions and the Jets are rebuilding their roster around their young quarterbacking sensation Chad Pennington. The Bills are ify but that fact remains that Buffalo always comes to play, when it pertains to division games. Miami doesn't have the tools to dominate the East, in fact I wouldn't be suprised if they miss the playoffs this coming season.
The Myth
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby TheHeat24 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:01 pm

The Myth wrote:I think the biggest detail for me is the fact that the Dolphins play in the AFC East which is always one of the most competitive divisions in football. The Patriots are defending Superbowl Champions and the Jets are rebuilding their roster around their young quarterbacking sensation Chad Pennington. The Bills are ify but that fact remains that Buffalo always comes to play, when it pertains to division games. Miami doesn't have the tools to dominate the East, in fact I wouldn't be suprised if they miss the playoffs this coming season.

They only have one of the best defenses in football(best nickel in the league) and the man Ricky Williasm who is one of the 3 best Runningbacks in the league

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Manja » Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:12 am

Best three? I wouldn't put him up that far.. I'd give him one of the best seven.. or eight.
Manja
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby t-love » Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:35 am

Fantasy wise maybe 7-8, but just as a RB he has to be at least top 5.
t-love
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby TheHeat24 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:04 pm

t-love wrote:Fantasy wise maybe 7-8, but just as a RB he has to be at least top 5.

Exactly... In a speed to power ratio there are only two runningbacks even in his class... jamal Lewis and Ahman Green...

In my opinion hes the best RB in the league but of course that is up for discussion...

You cant look at his stats last year and and judge him... Both Priest Holmes and Shaun alexander had better stats but neither of them are anywhere near as talented as Ricky... Both benefit form great offensive lines... especially priest...

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Miami Dolphins