Sweet, Sweet McNown Love - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Sweet, Sweet McNown Love

Moderator: Football Moderators

Sweet, Sweet McNown Love

Postby Bennett4prez » Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:47 pm

Alright, I'm a not a huge fan of this guy, but we gotta start showing this kid some love, especially in Keeper/Dyntasy Leagues. While he may not be your big fantasy stud, he should go ahead of the Leftwich and Palmers of the draft.

McNown started the last 3 games of last season, giving us a glimpse of what he is capable of (NONE OF US NEED A RECAP OF WEEK 17). In that timed he rushed for more yards than ANY other quarterback, totaled 4 touchdowns (3 pass, 1 rush), and passed for 670 yards. His opponents during that streak included the Carolina Panthers and the Minnesota Vikings (safeties combined for 17 INTs).

And, the Cardinals are doing everything they can to improve his situation. They named Emmitt Smith the starter (I'm probabaly the lone Emmitt-supporter), drafted college phenom Larry Fitzgerald, and named QB-loving Denny Green as the Head Coach, a big improvement for the offense from McGinnis. If all their parts click, they probabaly won't be the top5 offense Denny promised (Vikings, Seahawks, Colts, Chiefs, and Rams all better), but if they produce how they can, that means A LOT of points for Fantasy newbie McNown, he may even win the starting job on your fantasy team.

The situation is very similar to that of the Houston Texans and the Cardinals should be set for a LONG time to come. Fitzgerald, Boldin, and Johnson (his primary WR) are all in their 1st or 2nd year, McNown is in his 3rd year, and the "old guy" for their offense is running back of the future is 25. There is no reason this team chemistry can't combine to form a prolific offense for many, many years to come.

So, when your draft comes along, don't forget about Cardinals QB John McNown. His ADP is the end of the 13th round, but he will warrant numbers deserving a 10th round pick, and still be considered a sleeper.

B4P'S ALL-SLEEPER TEAM
QB J. McNown (ARZ)
RB
RB
WR R. Smith (DEN)
WR
WR
TE
K
DEF
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Canacuna » Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:36 pm

I thought you were talking about Cade McNown for a second - you scared me. Josh McCown is definitely near the top of my list for backup QBs. He's gone really late in any drafts I've been apart of - assuming he is even drafted at all.

My only fear would be Shaun King taking over eventually - I think I read a quote from Anquan Boldin saying he thinks King will be the starter - although I don't give that much thought - if it's not a quote from the coach, I couldn't care less. I really liked King when he took over for Dilfer and led the Bucs to ...was it the NFC Championship game? Anyway, I don't think he's played much since then, but I remember liking him back in the day.

I had a long explanation for The Canacuna also being quite high on McCown, but my computer froze and I really don't want to type all of that out again.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby cooleyhigh » Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:51 am

Unless King grew some bigger hands I can't see him doing much. Do you remember all those balls that flew backwards??!!
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby goleafsgo96 » Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:01 am

I would take Leftwich before taking McNown, but id take McNown over Palmer.
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deftdelivery » Sat Jul 17, 2004 8:57 pm

goleafsgo96 wrote:I would take Leftwich before taking McNown, but id take McNown over Palmer.

It's McCown. :-b

But yea, I agree...Leftwich is definatley higher than McCown due to the fact that he has almost a full season under his belt at QB. McCown doesn't. And there is no competition for QB in Jacksonville. However, I too am high on McCown as a sleeper, and not just because of the talent around him. If I remember correctly, I read a stat that said McCown ran a 4.56 40 in the combine as a rookie, one hundredth of a second FASTER than McNabb 8-o 8-o He's got the talent to perform ;-D
[url=http://www.studio-seraph.com/forums]Image[/url]
YOUR movie resource - sign up at the forums

[color=green]PS I'll find my frog[/color]
deftdelivery
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Sweet, Sweet McNown Love

Postby JohnnyTitan » Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:43 pm

Bennett4Prez wrote:So, when your draft comes along, don't forget about Cardinals QB John McNown.

I'm assuming John McNown is a typo.
JohnnyTitan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Gunslinger » Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:28 pm

I drafted McCown! Luke, that is, in my rookie draft. ;)

I would take Leftwich first, too, but I like Josh to do ok this season. He could surprise and be a nice late-round steal.
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Azrael » Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:48 pm

It's really starting to get on my nerves when people call this guy McNown
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)