Q regarding the enforcement of the 5 yard contact rule - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Q regarding the enforcement of the 5 yard contact rule

Moderator: Football Moderators

Q regarding the enforcement of the 5 yard contact rule

Postby houstonherdfan » Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:24 pm

If the officals are going to watch for contact after five yards and enforce it, which recievers will benefit the most.

R. Moss of course. He gets mugged alot that won't be happening this year with the crack down on enforcing the rule. who else will be in a similar position to take advantage of this in the coming season year?
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby FeArMeNtL » Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:30 pm

If you look this has already been posted ;-D
[img]http://mywebpage.netscape.com/mercerboy3/fearmesig.jpg [img]
The tandem of Chad Johnson and Rudi Johnson, plus a new defense,Marvin Lewis,Palmer=Dynasty
FeArMeNtL
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby FeArMeNtL » Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:31 pm

[img]http://mywebpage.netscape.com/mercerboy3/fearmesig.jpg [img]
The tandem of Chad Johnson and Rudi Johnson, plus a new defense,Marvin Lewis,Palmer=Dynasty
FeArMeNtL
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby houstonherdfan » Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:58 pm

I saw the other post and yes it should help Moss

but my question was who else is it going to help besides Moss? who else gets mugged, held and knocked down on a regular basis?
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Manja » Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:48 pm

Any receiver that you don't want catching the ball?
Manja
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby TheBigBakedBean » Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:56 pm

If you indeed think this will benefit Moss (which I disagree with), then it will also benefit the taller recievers. They get whallopped a lot more to even out the height discrepancy.

But I don't see why you'd say that it would benefit Moss. Last I checked, penalty yardage isn't awarded to a WR as recieving yardage - it's penalty yardage. When Randy gets hacked, his stats aren't gonna benefit from it any more this way than if the refs weren't "cracking down" on it.

I don't think they will crack down on it so hard that teams will start giving Randy a 5-yard cushion. That'd be insane...he'd cause a lot more damage that way than if the teams would just go ahead and slam him and hope to not see a flag in the air.

Also - you could argue that it will most benefit WRs from teams that run lots of crossing routes and passes either in traffic or along the edges of the sidelines.
TheBigBakedBean
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby TheHeat24 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:26 pm

TheBigBakedBean wrote:Also - you could argue that it will most benefit WRs from teams that run lots of crossing routes and passes either in traffic or along the edges of the sidelines.

A la New England Patriots...

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby houstonherdfan » Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:03 am

TheBigBakedBean wrote:But I don't see why you'd say that it would benefit Moss. Last I checked, penalty yardage isn't awarded to a WR as recieving yardage - it's penalty yardage. When Randy gets hacked, his stats aren't gonna benefit from it any more this way than if the refs weren't "cracking down" on it.

I was not talking about the penalty yards. Was talking about the extra catches and yards the WR's will get because of the new requirements that will not allow the physical play by the DB's that has been allowed in the past.

TheBigBakedBean wrote:I don't think they will crack down on it so hard that teams will start giving Randy a 5-yard cushion. That'd be insane...he'd cause a lot more damage that way than if the teams would just go ahead and slam him and hope to not see a flag in the air.

All indications from the NFL office are that the rule will be strictedly inforced and those flags will fly until the DB's conform to the new inforcement of the rules whether it be R. Moss or any one else. I also doubt that there will be a 5 yard cushion on a R. Moss type but they will not be playing as tight as in the past.
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Besaid_Aurochs » Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:00 pm

Just another reason why Moss will be untouchable this year.
Besaid_Aurochs
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Football Talk