My QB Rankings - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

My QB Rankings

Moderator: Football Moderators

My QB Rankings

Postby IRON CHEF » Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:05 am

I wanted to see what everyone thought of my ranking of the top 11 QBs. I picked 11 because I feel that these quarterbacks make up the top tier before there is a dropoff talent-wise. Feel free to criticize me, I'm always willing to adjust my cheat sheet if I get good advice that changes my mind.

So here it is:

1. Peyton Manning - In fantasy consistency is very important, and Peyton is the epitome of a consistent player. He is basically a lock for 25 tds and 4000 yds every year and is without a doubt the best pure passer.

2. Daunte Culpepper - Strange for his size, Daunte's ability to run while still throw deep with accuracy has made him a top fantasy commodity. If he can match a season like last year while and avoid inconsistency he may have an outstanding year and surpass Peyton as #1.

3. Michael Vick - As most people with fantasy knowledge know, Vick is overrated. But some get too wrapped up in talking negatively about him and forget he is still a double threat that could develop into much more. That would only happen though if he matures and works on his works on his throwing setup.

4. Donovan McNabb - With TO at his side, McNabb should continue to produce top QB numbers. He nows how to run and turn around a bad play. His sucess rides on if he can stop trying so hard to establish himself and stay injury free.

5. Marc Bulger - Believe me, Bulger is a stud. With the job security he has he may be able to avoid the interceptions that have kept him from fantasy greatness. Also, in the Rams system he has the chance to make quick throws for good amounts of yardage.

6. Steve McNair - Another guy who is typically underrated, McNair has continously put up very nice numbers. He has speed and the talent to work the pocket. McNair has all the tools of the full quarterback. His only problem is his tendency to put to much oomph into his passes.

7. Matt Hasselbeck - This guy is a perfect fit for Seattle. He has the arm to make the right passes in a given situation. Last year he became more of a consistent passer really helping his value. Sometimes however he looks a little uncomfortable, it seems like he can't connect on certain passes.

8. Trent Green - I never see this guy get the credit he desereves. His stats for the last few seasons have been outstanding. He also has the experience to know how to work defenses with good pocket presence and pump fakes. His age signals a decline but I don't expect any major drop in production for Trent.

9. Aaron Brooks - Very talented, very unreliable. The Saints offense provides all the opportunities to produce, and Brooks could very well utilize it to become a better fantasy QB but he needs to prove he can shake off the inconsistencies and make big plays.

10. Brett Favre - A trademark on the list of top QBs for years, Favre is still up there. He has the talent, and last year threw for 32 TDs with a 65.4 completion percentage. But one cannot overlook the fact that he also threw 21 INT because he makes cocky throws where he is overconfident in his abilities.

11. Chad Penninngton - The 04/05 season is very important for Chad. He has to prove if he is worth all the attention he has been getting the last couple years. He has a formidably strong basis of passing mechanics. Pennington knows how to find his receivers, it is just a matter of providing the accuracy to deliver the passes to them.

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby KingGhidra » Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:18 am

Switch Bulger and Hasselbeck. Then switch Bulger and Green and that looks identical to my list except for Favre being included.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby IRON CHEF » Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:21 am

okay maybe I have Bulger a little high, but I have my reasons...

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Smizzy » Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:28 am

5.Hasselbeck
6.Mcnair
7.Favre
8.bulger
9.Green
10.Brooks
11.Pennington
Smizzy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby FavreFan1998 » Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:29 am

disrespect, even with all the INTs favre was ranked a top 5 QB for ESPN, a top 3 QB for Yahoo, Bulger is the most overrated player in the draft IMO ---- 10 less TDs and 1 more INT than Favre in a better system
FavreFan1998
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Wolverine » Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:36 am

I agree with everything you said. In some cases the actual order matters little since they are all projected to perform about the same. In my own rankings, I see more of a drop after 10 QB's, not 11, and I have Favre in the next tier along with Garcia and Brady.

I would say my favorite value pick at QB is McNair. I had him last year and despite his bangs and bruises I was amazed at how he would single-handedly torch defenses. Sadly from a fantasy perspective, he would often beat teams through 2 quarters and sandbag the second half or Fisher would put Volek in. Frankly, I think people are making a bigger deal than necessary about McCareins departure hurting McNair's production. Those unfamiliar with the Titans history miss out on the fact that McNair makes those around him better players, most especially his WR corps. If he can stay healthy, he'll have another MVP-like year. It would be great if he didn't get the beating he normally does over the course of the season...I would take him over Bulger but would be in a dilemma between him and Hasselbeck. Hasselbeck is going too early for my tastes though.
Wolverine
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby 34=Sweetness » Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:07 am

My favorite is Trent Green. Can be had in the 6th, and will give you 4000 yards with 20-25 TDs and few INTs. Me likey. I also love Hasselback because I had him last year, but he sometimes goes too early for me to take.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Football Newbie » Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:15 am

Argh no respect for penny still. All of you that pick up Brooks, favre, and green before him will regret it.
Football Newbie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby kid a » Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:03 am

Studs
1. Culpepper
2. Manning
3. McNabb
4. Vick

2nd tier
5. Hasselbeck
6. Pennington
7. Bulger
8. McNair

Small Dropoff
9. Brooks
10. Brady
11. Leftwich (Trent Green could easily be in this group)
kid a
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby houstonherdfan » Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:41 pm

kid a wrote:Studs
1. Culpepper
2. Manning
3. McNabb
4. Vick

2nd tier
5. Hasselbeck
6. Pennington
7. Bulger
8. McNair

Small Dropoff
9. Brooks
10. Brady
11. Leftwich (Trent Green could easily be in this group)

I would not put Leftwitch that high. He needs another year before becoming a top QB. He made a lot of mistakes last year and I think some of that will continue at least through the 1st half of this season. I got him around #15 right now prolly in the top 10 for next year if his progress is good this year.
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Next

Return to Football Talk