Faulk and Jackson - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Faulk and Jackson

Moderator: Football Moderators

Faulk and Jackson

Postby IRON CHEF » Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:45 am

If I were to draft Faulk and Jackson and used Jackson as my guy after Faulk gets hurt how much total production would the two equal? I mean would their combined stats be top 10 numbers?

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Turnip » Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:53 am

It's impossible to tell considering Jackson has yet to take a pro snap. Now, if it were Lamar Gordon coming in instead (it still might be), I think you can expect top 10-top 12 numbers between them.
Turnip
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigGAME101 » Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:35 pm

i do not think that gordon will play a big role this year or in the future...jackson was drafted to become marshall's successor, and the rams got a great bargain for him with their late first round pick... i would say that individually both are capable of putting up top 10 numbers (but it is very difficult to tell with jackson), but together (as in rbbc) each one will off-set the other, making their fantasy output outside the top 10

North Ancaster Astros - Crusaders Treasure Chest represent
bigGAME101
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby IRON CHEF » Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:59 pm

Well I was thinking that Faulk may play, lets say... 8 weeks before he goes down with injury. If Jackson played the rest of year as starter and I put him in instead of Faulk how would their combination rank as collective one?

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Canacuna » Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:04 pm

Steven Jackson was the best RB out of this years class - however I wasn't too high on any of 'em. I don't think there's any true "studs" out of the group. However, with the Rams system, anything is possible.

bigGAME101 wrote:jackson was drafted to become marshall's successor, and the rams got a great bargain for him with their late first round pick

Jackson may have been drafted as Faulk's successor, but I don't think that will be this year. The Rams drafted him for a variety of reasons. They drafted him because they were a good team (12-4) that had most of their starting players returning - they could afford to make some draft choices that don't necessarily help them immediately. Steven Jackson was the best RB in the draft and he slipped to 'em - they wouldn't pass that up. Plus, with Faulk's injury history, they could use some added depth at the position since Arlen Harris has been moved to FB.

Assuming Faulk DOES go down, I think the Rams backfield will be a mess. Jackson is not the clear cut #2 RB in St. Louis like most people are assuming. Lamar Gordon looked good last year and reportedly looked good in mini-camps. The New England Patriots were supposedly interested in trading for him to be their feature RB. I think it would be his job to lose - at the very least a RBBC - thus, pretty much making both non-factors fantasy-wise.

Marshall Faulk's offseason knee surgery was supposed to prolong his career by a few years. Until I read reports from training camp saying that Faulk was hobbling around like a cripple, I'm going to assume all of the rumors are pure BS.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby TheBigBakedBean » Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:09 am

Posted this in an old thread and didn't get any response, but I thought I'd post again because it is still pertainant.

I wrote:I know the general consensus is that Marshall Faulk will go down at some point this season - but there really is nothing saying that he ABSOLUTELY will. He's no doubt been conditioning to return to form - and he's not that far removed.

IF he is able to stay healthy, he is also another back that will benefit greatly from this.

In terms of receptions and yardage, LT2 and Priest were kings last year, with 100 for 725 and 74 for 690, respectively, through 16 games each. Marshall has always been a great receiving threat, both with the Colts and the Rams. If you go back to '98, Faulk caught 86 balls for 908 yards through 16 games. In '99, he caught 87 balls for 1048 yards through 16 games. Through 14 games in 2000 - 81 rec, 830 yards. 14 games in 2001 - 83 rec, 765 yards. 14 games in 2002 - 80 rec, 537 yards. Through last year's 11 games, Marshall caught 45 balls for 290 yards. Sure, that's a big dropoff from 2002 to 2003, but he was only playing 11 games! My man Ahman played in all 16 and only caught 50 balls all season, so by comparison, Marshall is pretty darn good.

If nothing else, this is definitely a situation where "gambling" on Marshall Faulk (I think that's odd that he can be THE star of the league for so long and then all of the sudden drop off the FF planet just because of rumors of retirement) could pay off HUGE in a 1 pt. per reception league.

What do you guys think of that? Is Marshall 100% past his prime and not worth the high draft pick that he warrants? Or do you think it'd be pretty effin' sweet if he managed a 16-game season this year and proved everybody wrong?

All we know right now is that he wants to play and is preparing this offseason to return as the Rams' starting running back, which is hands-down one exciting positions to watch, regardless of who is starting. In his defense, he's gotta want to be the star again, and that's why he underwent surgery. On the other hand, however, he hasn't played a full season since 1999. Which plays more of a factor in your minds when you consider drafting Marshall Faulk?
TheBigBakedBean
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby TheHeat24 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:16 pm

Turnip wrote:It's impossible to tell considering Jackson has yet to take a pro snap. Now, if it were Lamar Gordon coming in instead (it still might be), I think you can expect top 10-top 12 numbers between them.

Even if he hasnt traken a pro snap I would still expect him to put up better numbers than Gordon just from a talent stand point... Remember RB is the easiest skilled position to elarn in the NFL and Steven Jackson was considered the most NFL ready back of this years draft and especially given his size (6'3 230) he is definetly ready to have an immediate impact if called upon.

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Homeless » Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:50 pm

I dont doubt Jacksons ability one bit, however, who starts for them in the event faulk goes down (My bet is he will) would probably depend on how the teams season is going. If theyre in contention, then i imagine Gordon would carry the load for the remainder, perhaps sharing some carries with jackson. If the teams season is hosed, then I imagine Jackson would get the bulk of the carries.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby kid a » Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:56 pm

TheHeat24 wrote:Even if he hasnt traken a pro snap I would still expect him to put up better numbers than Gordon just from a talent stand point... Remember RB is the easiest skilled position to elarn in the NFL and Steven Jackson was considered the most NFL ready back of this years draft and especially given his size (6'3 230) he is definetly ready to have an immediate impact if called upon.

And on top of this, Martz just said this week that he's never seen a rookie learn how to pick up blitzes as fast as Jackson has ever. And that's one of the hardest things for a young RB to learn. (ask Barlow)
kid a
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Canacuna » Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:07 pm

TheHeat24 wrote:
Turnip wrote:It's impossible to tell considering Jackson has yet to take a pro snap. Now, if it were Lamar Gordon coming in instead (it still might be), I think you can expect top 10-top 12 numbers between them.

Even if he hasnt traken a pro snap I would still expect him to put up better numbers than Gordon just from a talent stand point... Remember RB is the easiest skilled position to elarn in the NFL and Steven Jackson was considered the most NFL ready back of this years draft and especially given his size (6'3 230) he is definetly ready to have an immediate impact if called upon.

This years draft class had the most average RBs I've seen in a while. Being the best RB in the '04 class isn't whole lot to brag about, methinks.

I agree with Homey, though - if the Rams are playing to win (assuming Faulk even gets injured), Lamar Gordon will get the bulk of the playing time. If they're out of it, it's Steven Jackson time.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Next

Return to Football Talk