Aaron Brooks: Love Him or Hate Him? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Aaron Brooks: Love Him or Hate Him?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Aaron Brooks: Love Him or Hate Him?

Postby inferno19 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:06 am

Now, before I get flamed, I realize, the vast majority of people hate Aaron Brooks. I personally think he's a decent QB, and I would easily consider him as a starter, especially with his surrounding cast in NO, as well as the porous defense allowing for more throwing attempts.

So I went and looked at the stats over the years he's started.
Some things of note:

Completion percentage up to 59.1 from 55.9 in 2001.
Interceptions....22(2001), 15(2002), 8(2003)
Rushing attempts down from 80 in 2001 to 54 in 2003.
38 fumbles total since 2001.

Now, in my opinion, the biggest knock on AB is his inaccuracy and decision making skills, but it appears he now only has inaccuracy (evidenced by the decline in INTs), and still lacks pinpoint accuracy. However, even the accuracy appears to be improving. The fumbles are definitely terrible though.

Bah, I dont know what to make of this guy. Help me out guys. He could be worth it, and can be had very late as a QB.
1335 rushing yards, 53 receptions, 441 receiving yards. 18 TDs.
Money in the bank.
inferno19
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:26 am

Well, reading my remarks from a few threads ago, you're going to know my answer. :-)

I drafted Brooks in the 6th round last year in my league, and I thought I had a steal. Every week I started him, he bombed. Every week I benched him, he did awesome. I started using Bulger in week 5 and never looked back. Good riddance in my view!

Everyone knows this guy has the ability to be a great QB. He's related to Michael Vick for goodness' sake! He has the speed and physical ability to put up Culpepper like numbers. But, his fumbling problems coupled with his loss of poise in and out of the pocket just keeps me away.

He's a great value as a late picked starting QB, but I am still scared to draft him until he can show me that he can really control a game on a consistent basis.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby dodgrcr » Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:30 am

well i live in new orleans and i watch him live on a weekly basis and have talked to him several times. did u notice when he came in for the injured jeff blake how awesome he was. and evryone wonders wut happen to that, well ill tell you its the coaching holdin him down and thats the reason he makes such bad decicions. he is not a pocket qb and thas wut they want him to be. he is a great qb and hopefully they get rid of haslet b4 he leaves too. but in my opinion brooks is a great qb yes he is inconsistent at times but his weapons this year r great. i know that they will run a 4 wideout 1 back set a whole lot this year, because of the fact that stallworth is now no.2 wr and then there is pathon. BUT wut alot dont know is that micheal lewis has been practicing a whole lot on his recieving skills and he will be seeing the ball also. so in my opinion u got a great qb in aaron brooks, he wont let you down.
dodgrcr Beginner
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby TheBigBakedBean » Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:45 am

dodgrcr wrote:did u notice when he came in for the injured jeff blake how awesome he was. and evryone wonders wut happen to that, well ill tell you its the coaching holdin him down and thats the reason he makes such bad decicions. he is not a pocket qb and thas wut they want him to be. he is a great qb and hopefully they get rid of haslet b4 he leaves too.

I got to see him live as well, sitting on the bench in a Packers uniform. When he did play in preseason, he didn't play any differently than the Aaron Brooks we're all familiar with - flashes of adeptness and quick defensive reads on one play, and bonehead misreads on the next. He's always had that level of ineptitude to his game - the plays that the coaching staff call don't contribute to or take away from this.

Then you wrote:but in my opinion brooks is a great qb yes he is inconsistent at times but his weapons this year r great. i know that they will run a 4 wideout 1 back set a whole lot this year, because of the fact that stallworth is now no.2 wr and then there is pathon. BUT wut alot dont know is that micheal lewis has been practicing a whole lot on his recieving skills and he will be seeing the ball also.

I don't think there is a team in the NFL that thinks they are going to be worse off this year than they were last year (well, maybe the Giants have a bad feeling in the gut, but they have Coughlin so they have at least that much reason for optimism). I get so excited reading Packers training camp news that I'm ready to draft Carl Ford as a sleeper.

And then you wrote:so in my opinion u got a great qb in aaron brooks, he wont let you down.

While you have every right to call him a great QB and could probably find some sort of statistical substantiation, you can't say he won't let you down, especially when your argument doesn't address any of the popular concerns against him.
TheBigBakedBean
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby arrbez » Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:21 am

as frustrating as he was for me last year, he WAS in the top 7 or 8 for most offensive categories. with the players he has a round him, and how late you can get him in most drafts, i think he's a bit of a steal. just be prepared to go crazy
It doesn't need to be in good taste, so long as it tastes good
arrbez
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Flux » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:44 am

Ill tell you why i hate him

11 FUMBLES LOST
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ajgnydc722 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:22 am

He helped a friend in my league to 2nd place during the regular season (behind me of course ;-) ) but in his playoff game against a team he should have killed, Brooks put up -9 points and his season was over. He'll never draft Brooks again.

Where would you put Brooks amoung QBs like Pennington, Green, Favre and McNair?
New York Yankees: 2005 Offseason
Dallas Cowboys: 5-8
PrimeTime(baseball): FB Champion
PrimeTime (football): 10-4
ajgnydc722
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheBigBakedBean » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:24 am

Green
McNair
Favre
Pennington
TheBigBakedBean
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby roninmedia » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:27 am

He is a steal depending on where you get him. I got him in the 8th, which is rather good value for Brooks.
roninmedia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ajgnydc722 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:05 am

TheBigBakedBean wrote:Green
McNair
Favre
Pennington

How about Brooks among that list?
New York Yankees: 2005 Offseason
Dallas Cowboys: 5-8