Eddie George Rumor - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Eddie George Rumor

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby DUKE » Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:19 am

recmccl wrote:I wouldn't want him in Dallas. He runs like a &itch. He gets to the hole and lays down. Not a Parcells kinda runner.

I think he deserves a little more credit than this. Yes, he's declined a bit, but he didn't run like a &itch against the Ravens during the playoffs last year.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheHeat24 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:02 pm

I could most definelty see oakland except they absolutley no cap room... Espn is reporting something like this in the NFL section check it out.

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ajgnydc722 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:16 pm

DUKE wrote:
recmccl wrote:I wouldn't want him in Dallas. He runs like a &itch. He gets to the hole and lays down. Not a Parcells kinda runner.

I think he deserves a little more credit than this. Yes, he's declined a bit, but he didn't run like a &itch against the Ravens during the playoffs last year.

I agree 100%. George has lost a step or two from his glory days, but he still runs hard and can plow some people over. He doesn't "lay down".
New York Yankees: 2005 Offseason
Dallas Cowboys: 5-8
PrimeTime(baseball): FB Champion
PrimeTime (football): 10-4
ajgnydc722
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby t-love » Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:44 pm

If he goes, I think it'd be Dallas.
t-love
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 8)

Postby KingGhidra » Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:53 pm

Eddie George is the kind of RB I'd want on my roster in a playoff game. Give him some carries here and there each game especially during the end when defenses are tired. He's come up big the last two seasons in the playoffs. He has just enough in the tank left to be effective as a big bruiser late in games, but he isn't starter material by any means. I definitely could see him in Philly or even Tampa if Alstott isn't recovered.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Canacuna » Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:32 pm

...Just my luck that I drafted Julius Jones and Brian Westbrook in the NNKL. !+)

I read he was on the Dan Patrick show and making some pretty ...non-hopeful comments on his return.

Apparently the Titans are offering him basically a one-year deal and he wants something longer. I think he's looking to reach the 11,000 yard mark. He's a little under a thousand yards away. If he stays in Tennessee, he could only see between 50% and 66% of the carries (Chris Brown factor) - that could make reaching his goal difficult in even two years.

I could see how he would want to go to Dallas or Philadelphia, but I don't think either of them would put together the kind of money Eddie wants (if he thought the Titans offer of 1.5 million wasn't enough, I wonder how he'll feel with the veteran minimum offers he lands from other teams).

Tampa Bay and Oakland are looking mighty desperate for even a below average RB at this point (rather than the crapalicious RBs they all have now). Tampa would be nice, methinks. Charlie Garner can still catch (not much else) and Mike Alstott might not be fully recovered from his neck/back/whatever injury. With Eddie, Garner could do his thing on passing plays, Eddie could do his thing on rushing plays, and Alstott could take over in the redzone.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby houstonherdfan » Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:42 pm

Where ever he goes it will prolly be in a elder statesman back up role, so he should stay in Tenn!!!
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Gunslinger » Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:46 pm

My guess is that his agent is on the phone right now trying to get some sort of guarantee from Oakland, TB, Dallas, etc... about playing time. I think the yardage/HOF is more important to Eddie at this point than the money.
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Gunslinger » Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:46 pm

More news:

ESPN NFL wrote:NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Eddie George, Tennessee's all-time leading running back, said Monday he doesn't like the Titans' offer of a pay cut because the deal is only for the 2004 season.

Titans officials had talked repeatedly over the past few months of their desire to see George end his career with Tennessee.

"I don't see that retiring as a Titan because I don't plan on retiring next year," George told ESPN radio.

A final decision on his future with the Titans was expected within a day as George waited to see if Tennessee changed its offer.

George said he was hoping for a better offer although Tennessee's proposal hadn't changed since March: approximately $1.5 million in salary for one season, down from the $4.25 million in his contract that went through 2006.

The running back did not immediately return a telephone message left by The Associated Press with his spokeswoman. His agent, Lamont Smith, was in a meeting Monday afternoon and did not immediately return telephone messages.

"My goal was to finish where I started," George told ESPN radio. "The way it looks now, I won't be able to do that."

Titans general manager Floyd Reese was in a meeting and did not immediately return a message left by the AP.

George refused to rework his contract when the team asked in February, and the Titans paid him a $1 million roster bonus in March. But the salary cap-strapped Titans need to clear space to sign their draft picks before training camp starts July 31.

The Titans' salary cap woes are only expected to worsen after this season.

George has a franchise-best 10,009 yards, and he has never missed a start since the franchise drafted the 1995 Heisman Trophy winner out of Ohio State. His 112 consecutive starts are behind only Walter Payton (170) and Ricky Watters (114).

George, who turns 31 in September, spoke Monday of Tampa Bay, Philadelphia and Dallas as potential options and said he wants to join a team with a chance of winning a Super Bowl if he leaves Tennessee.

Both sides had been openly optimistic that a new deal would be reached before training camp.

But George, who rushed for 1,031 yards last season, said his numbers had diminished because of how he was used in the offense. Steve McNair was named co-MVP last season after leading the NFL with a quarterback rating of 100.4 in an offense that now looks to pass first instead of run.

Smith told ESPN radio that they had researched great running backs like John Riggins, Marcus Allen and Payton and found they were very productive after turning 30.

"Unfortunately in the reality of the salary cap era, sometimes people hit the panic button," Smith said.
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby IRON CHEF » Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:10 pm

Yea just saw on espn that george has requested his release, dont even know if he will start anywhere else. That is pretty stubborn of him not to take a pay cut. I hope no one else gives him the money he is asking for, he certainly isnt worth it.

Do you think Brown will start or will Tennesee go after someone else? And if Brown does start where is his value right now?

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk